Slitherine Announces Gladius - Relics of War

I don’t have any dlc and it’s good.

I like both games but no prizes if you guessed I prefer PF.

G has the best 1upt implementation I know of, but it’s still 1upt and it does get quite tedious quite fast.

I really enjoy both PF and Gladius and see them as very different games - as noted above PF is 4X and Gladius is essentially a turn based RTS.

I do think the commentary on the AI is interesting, since I’ve found Gladius’s AI is frustratingly passive when not operating in teams. Maybe I need to turn it up? Does increasing the difficulty actually make the AI better, or is it purely a loyalty boost (which is how it looks?).

I can’t really think of a game that has the AI effected by difficulty. Maybe there are some. In Gladius the difficulty settings effect morale which effects the production of everything from resources, to units, to buildings. This has the indirect effect of the AI being more aggressive to passive depending on how much it is hurting for resources.

The AI was at its peek with the first reinforcement pack IMO. This was when an independent mod maker was assisting them. It has since faltered, but is still solid. It’s biggest difficulty is dealing with neutral creeps and grouping up to properly deal with the surrounding threat (note, this is the biggest issue with the Tyranid AI since that faction relies on specific formation grouping). Some games the AI does great, others it doesn’t. It comes down to map generation and unit placement.

Yeah, that makes sense. It’s certainly plenty agressive when there are more than one working in concert, because they can pool resources and it’s VERY good at coordinating (for all practical purposes two allied AI’s might as well be one double-strength opponent in my experience). I probably just need to turn the single AI’s up to hard to get some more bang for my buck. I love the game overall, I’ve just struggled to find a good level of pushback with single opponents (and the pushback with teamed opponents is a little above my level! :))

I’m playing in the current campaign 2x2 and but for my help my AI teammate would have been destroyed as the other two came after him hard. Mostly this was due to terrain and map start, he stated closer to them and elevation and water made it so I had a narrow path to supporting. Nearly lost him, but we’re in the clear now because while both enemy AIs sent everything at my team mate I went around the other side and took one of them out.

I’m thinking if you wanted to up the challenge you might set up 1 x 2, or as you mentioned try cranking up the individual AIs you face.

The Pandora guy.

Good. I was close to renouncing you.

Whew! Close call.

So far I’m enjoying this game and trying to puzzle some things out. I’m playing the intro/tutorial game as space marines and I’ve been holding my own and slowly expanding my reach. The Necrons main city is fairly close to me in the south and are a total PITA with their constant self healing. I built my main city on one of their tombs to prevent them from building a city there and currently control another tomb hex elsewhere. I’m sure there are more out there and I’m concerned about them getting a lot of cities and wiping me out since I can only have one city.

I’m really fuzzy about in what order to do stuff. So far I’ve been dropping the orbital structures next to my outposts to increase my resources. I have a captain hero that’s at level 3. I bought him the armor jerkin that gives +3 health and healing and something that gives him an extra 1 hex movement per turn. For level-up perks he has 2 levels of the passive that gives influence for XP and 1 level of the 20% healing skill. I figure I need the extra influence to equip my heroes. I’m currently building a second captain and after that I thought I’d build a chaplain. I have about 4 tactical space marines and 3 devastator marines so far.

My research priority was the building that allows building heroes, frag grenades, chaplain, dormitories, devastators and librarian. I have no idea what to research on tier 4. Predator tank? Melta bomb? Hunters? Who knows.

Buildings I’m even fuzzier on. So far I’ve built the ones that allow production of units and add resources I’m short of. Edit: And also dormitories to expand the city size.

The tactical space marines seem kind of underwhelming so far, as do the devastators. The captain unit seems pretty awesome and he’s been putting in work.

The game music is great and the AI seems pretty good so far. It’s got a real nice WH40K feel to it. If only the chaos cultists would scream ‘blood for the blood god’ once it a while. I’m really enjoying it.

I don’t think there is a single correct way to do stuff, you can tailor it to your playstyle and preferences. However, I think a good strategy (specially on higher difficulties) is to base your strategy on what resources are available from the start. E.g. if you have a lot of research bonus go deep in the tech tree and try to get some advances war machines before your opponents. If you have a lot of influence go for heroes, production - churn out Space Marines etc.

Generally I like to upgrade my Space Marines as much as I can, then they will be useable all the way to the endgame. It’s important to keep units alive as the experience really makes a difference (and consequently; make sure to finish off your wounded enemies!)

It seems like you’re on a good track. You might have too much focus on heroes, but that depends on the size of the map and available influence. (IMO its better to have one super-hero than a bunch of low-level ones).

Definitively get the Melta bomb (you will need them) - and keep your devastators alive at all cost! :-)

If you keep units in front of this one to keep it from directly being attacked and use it ranged and stationary (this 2nd part is the real key) it does real damage to stuff. The devastator lives up to its name when you don’t move it and then it shoots at stuff.

Thanks for the tips, guys. I had indeed noticed that devastators can’t hit the side of a barn after moving. I guess fixed multi-turn battles are where they shine then.

My starting position gave me a lot of bonus requisitions so I guess that means I should be pumping out a lot of marines.

Thanks for the tip on the Melta bomb. Do I need to research vehicles of any type?

Yes, but it’s not a priority for Space Marines. IMO more of a late game thing when you’re ready to go on the offensive. The Predator is probably the first one necessary followed by the Thunderfire Cannon (because it doubles as a mechanic).

I like the Land Speeder since because of its movement range it can be used for scouting and to snipe those retreating wounded enemies. But they are not really necessary.

It has been a while since I played so things might have changed, though.

Land Speeders are particularly useful (one might say necessary) if you’ve got a map with a lot of long stretches of water breaking up the landmass. On certain maps, flying units are a big deal.

New dlc:

I still don’t understand why we got T’au before Eldar. I mean, more factions are good (and I’m buying it ASAP), it’s just an odd sequencing.

Holy wow, out of nowhere.

Oh hell’s yes.

Edit:

Okay so you know those two Fire Warriors you got at start? For the love of God, convert some kroot dogs and put THEM between the FW and the enemy. If your wee blue men are getting engaged in melee by dogs or cultists or enslavers, something has gone horribly, horribly wrong. Also, research gun drones ASAP. They’re so, so great.

This has been boughteronied.

Bought. Incidentally, you can get 15% off if you pick up your Steam key from Gamersgate and use “THEDISCOUNT” as your promo code. Thank you isthereanydeal.

Have they announced who they’re doing next anywhere? Because seriously, I want mah space elves.