Slitherine Announces Gladius - Relics of War

Those are fair points all around. I agree that Battle Sector is not top shelf in its current iteration. However they seem to be listening intently about the conquest mode and admit it was essentially a work in progress. They are making updates to it along with the now released intent to put Khorne demons in as the neutral baddy on the map instead of the piddly Sisters roster. This should have happened from the start but those Necrons needed to be released I guess. Anyway, a better conquest in a building roster could have a lot to offer. If they can stick the landing on that, I’d be pretty happy. I guess I am on the hopeful side of their future, but you are right to be reserved.

Edit: About you PS. True-ish. The big push was the conquest mode that was released alongside the Necrons. That is the hex meta map thing. It was released with serious issues such as weak random map generation, Sisters as neutrals, poor strategic resource design, and questionable AI. It’s sort of seen as a COVID development victim that has a lot of potential alongside developer intent to build a proper strategic barber pole loop to better fit expanded content than their original story based Panzer General design. In essence, they are sort of aiming at a Gladius/Panzer General hybrid. I hope it works. It currently doesn’t work well.

And, yeah, I’ll play the snot outta the post GW Gladius, but I will miss the 40k setting.

Me too! Zephon has a well-earned place on my Steam wishlist.

I am very excited about this game, the setting seems fascinating.

New Adepta Sororitas DLC released:

Oh! This one came as a surprise. I’m totally down for a new faction and firing up the game again.

In theory, I am interested in this but I found the DLC on this to be hit or miss. For example, the last DLC, the Adeptus Mechanicus, I found to be sadly disappointing compared to my expectations. They just didn’t have much theme or synergy or awesomeness, especially compared to the excellent iteration of the Astra Militarum, Space Marines, and Orks in the original release. Even the Necrons on original release were quite good. The DLC I have found to range between meh and OK.

Any impressions as to the Sisters of Battle - how do they actually play?

Hey, I was coming in here hoping to read a Sharpe post on that very subject! :)

I am torn between spending $ on this or on Master of Magic. I’m leaning towards the MoM remake at the moment, but still awaiting some more impressions.

Even though it might cost me @Sharpe impressions of the new Warhammer ladies in Relics of War to say this: that’s probably the right call. The Master of Magic reboot has a ton of that Planetfall mix-and-match-and-DIY element that I know you like.

It does?

Yep, the Age of Wonder series, and therefore Planetfall, has a ton of Simtex DNA! So games that focus on curating Simtex’s designs – certainly Remnants of the Precursors and probably this Master of Magic reboot, as well – will probably appeal to fans of Triumph’s games. We’ve got a thread going if you want to know more.

I played the MoM beta and bounced off it like a basketball :(

So I ended up deciding to try this and have played a couple of short/early games and one long game with the Sisters of Battle. As a DLC faction, they are well put together, with a solid selection of units and some interesting abilities.

However, this DLC really drove home something that I’ve been thinking about essentially all of the DLC. I understand, in the miniature game context, why adding more factions is great fun: slight wrinkles of squad design and unit abilities to get lost in, new minis to paint, all to bring a unique experience to the next battle. Great. But in the context of a PC game, I’ve become convinced the best overall player experience was with the original 4 factions, who were very distinct and who each captured both the essence of a unique approach to gameplay and also the flavor of the faction. Space Marines brought a great “powered armor infantry” feel to the game. Orks were very Ork-y. Astra Militarum brought the big guns and the Necrons had their funky zombie robot pseudo-Egyptian thing (sounds weird but works.)

And the thing is, I now feel those original 4 factions filled the gaming space of this core game design. For example, the Sisters of Battle are overall pretty similar to Space Marines. Sure, they have interesting wrinkles but in terms of overall gameplay experience, the player got most of this on release with the Space Marines. Likewise for pretty much all the DLC: they might be individually interesting but in terms of overall gameplay experience, I don’t really see them adding much.

It took me a long time to see b/c more DLC sounds “fun” and it’s a Warhammer staple, and yet I think I’ve come to the conclusion that it doesn’t fit this particular game design. Gladius is really a lean, stripped down 4X, and a very good one. Adding what is essentially more cruft to it doesn’t really improve it.

And it’s not just that the DLC don’t really justify themselves as new purchases to me. As I was playing, I would encounter the other DLC factions, and the other additional units they’ve added in their unit packs and the core coolness “Oooh that’s a Leman Russ Battle Tank! Watch out!” is gone. And it’s not just that coolness being lost: I also will look at a unit and go “what is that?” It’s got a little squiggly unit symbol and looks like many other units and I don’t really know what I’m fighting, and, lethally for gamer enjoyment, I don’t really care. “Oh it’s a rounded squiggly vehicle. Better kill it. Oh it’s a square blocky vehicle. Better kill it.”

Big picture: Sisters of Battles individually is a well made DLC. BUT this particular lean, streamlined 4X game design did not NEED all these DLC. And they’ve milked the DLC so hard the game has actually lost something, with the core asymmetry and lean-ness being buried in a landslide of hard-to-parse-the-difference-units and often micro-managey abilities and bonuses.

YMMV. But I think I’ve gotten what enjoyment I’m going to get out of Gladius, full stop (and that was a lot of enjoyment; hundreds of hours) and more DLC doesn’t help.

This is completely and entirely how I feel about the DLC for Gladius.

For me, the DLC has added a lot. Tyranids and Tau are two of my favorite factions to play and they were both added after release. I didn’t care much for Necrons or Orks so the starting options were pretty limited.

Yup. Personally, Eldar (or whatever they call them these days) and Tyranids were significant value adds because I really enjoy those factions in the table top game.

I take Sharpe’s point, but if you want a tight, low-faction game you probably don’t want to brand it under the 40K license. :)

I keep buying the DLC to support what is one of my favorite games, but then I immediately just place Space Marines again, lol.

I think the DLC may be of value to a player if they enjoy that particular faction so it’s a YMMV situation. However, I would normally really enjoy the Sisters of Battle but I’m just burnt out b/c I feel like I crufted up my Gladius experience with all the other DLC. The Tau and the Craftworld Space Elves are both cool factions but I’ve never really gotten to fully appreciate them b/c after the Tyrannids and the Chaos Space Marines added to the original 4 factions they all begin to blend together for me.

I think if the core game design still has legs for a player and the individual DLC suits their taste, then it can be worth it. So I guess I consider the DLC fully optional.

I think if I play this anymore, I will probably reduce the factions in my game and turn off the unit pack units, to get a cleaner experience. YMMV.

Absolutely. It’s very much a “buy the factions you find interesting, or none at all” situation, there’s nothing essential there.

Which is the mark of a good DLC structure, IMO. More content for those who are interested but you aren’t missing major game mechanics if you don’t find the content appealing and decide to skip.

I think they did a really good job with Gladius. I’m really looking forward to their new game to see where they go.