Smallville: The Series - worth it?

Ugh this weeks episode was horrible, it went all “HANGOVER” and in a bad way. :(

I thought it was great - Clark waking up with a hangover while Chloe tumbled out of his closet in a wedding dress. With a marriage certificate, and no one could remember a thing after the champagne. Did we, ummmm…consummate…?

Yeah I can understand that, but there are only 6 episodes left!!!

Well, it overstayed it’s welcome to be quite honest. There’s been some good episodes, but mostly the characters and situations have been worn out. 10 years is amazing for this kind of show.

The show has one of the common types of problems that I’ve seen in other geek shows. Rather than use the middle episodes to move the overall plot (here, Darkseid), they do about 2-3 big dramatic overall plot episodes in the beginning of the season, and 1-2 at the end of the season to wrap it up.

Then they fill the middle 10 or however many episodes with garbage filler that is fairly unrelated to the plot. I understand that the whole Clark/Lois relationship thing is “plot” to those of us who are not bitter, dead-hearted nerds, but come on, they could do both.

I’m not saying that I could do a better job. I understand how hard it must be to stretch a plot out for so many episodes. But then I’m not a writer - I’m not paid to figure out how to do it. When you look at the first 12 hours of “24,” for example, you can see that someone managed to figure it out.

Basically, one of Smallville’s problems that has endured since the beginning is the “freak of the week” episodes. They break continuity and make you wonder why you’re even watching the show.

Only it has gotten a bit worse, since the “freak of the week” things lately have not even involved any cool, evil, powerful villains. Just made up on the spot, rambling, generic big powerful shadowy conspiracy nonsense.

Also, I really need to go back to school and learn how to use modifier commas.

Yeah, that was pretty bad and exactly the sort of zany comedy/fanfic-y episode that frequently happens toward the end of a series run (and, for a show like Smallville, often during the run as well). Hey, we should let the characters go ahead and act all out of character! And how about a funny comedy animal! At the end we can throw in a few plot things to start tying up the show, etc.

And of course Smallville loves to do its own take on recent-ish (and no so recent-ish) pop culture/movies, e.g. Hangover, The Matrix, etc.

I can’t believe someone read the script for this past episode and was like GREAT, LOVE IT, START FILMING! It was complete trash, intended to be funny but failing on every level. I have a feeling they did this episode merely to have back-to-back humor episodes with Supernatural, which is even more egregious because the Supernatural episode actually was really fucking funny.

And I’ll admit it, I haven’t watched this show since Michael Rosenbaum left (although caught the occasional shitty episode every once a while), and the only reason I started watching again this season is because I know it’s going to be the last and I’d really like to see Tom Welling don the suit and cape. Now I’m not even sure they’re going to give us that! But at least we have John Glover back and only a couple episodes to go until Michael Rosenbaum returns for the finale.

I caught up recently on the 8th and 9th seasons, then watched the 10th season opener and am holding off on any more until the finale airs.

Jor-El is the biggest rampaging dick EVER.

Excepting last week’s episode, which I thought was one of the worst of the entire series, this season’s been the best of the series as far as I’m concerned. Lots of Justice League stuff, Clark as a hero, little freak-of-the-week stuff, and NO Lana.

Of course, most seasons have ranged from mediocre to bad, so that’s not saying much.

But I really wish they’d get past “The Blur.” What an idiotic name.

Doubt they will, though. I’m guessing the last episode will end on Clark in uniform and being called Superman.

According to IMDB, which lists Welling as “Clark Kent/Superman” instead of just “Clark Kent” on the last ep, you are correct.

The L.A. Times ran an interview with Welling today, and apparently he dons the suit (presumably at the end of the episode, but it doesn’t say) tonight (2nd to last episode).

That interview was apparently wrong.

Incidentally, the wheels really came off this show. It’s literally just all over the place. Even at this point in time, when they really don’t have to “save” content anymore, in the second and third to last episodes they’re basically still just fucking around, sticking in random things that seem to have little to do with the plotline or really with basic continuity.

I mean, the big baddie for this season is Darkseid, and we’ve seen what, three direct seconds of him? Yet we get some additional random episode of the Toymaster (or whatever the hell his name is), who apparently was just thrown in for random kicks and giggles with some individual episode plot element that made no sense whatsoever.

It’s just embarrassing.

You see a glimpse of the suit behind a crystal wall in the Fortress of Solitude and that’s it. Lasts all of 3 seconds. And SlyFrog is right, what the hell are they doing? All we have left is the 2 hour finale and they’re still just dicking around. And not very subtle when Toyman mentioned the new member of his group; come on, we all know it’s Lex, especially since the scheme is a very Lex Luthor-type plan.

For what it’s worth, the finale is two, one-hour episodes, as opposed to one giant mega episode. Maybe he dons the suit in the first part. Regardless, it’s been ten years, I can wait another week. :)

No, I read it wrong. It said may or may not - it did show the suit, but without it being worn. My bad.

Incidentally, the wheels really came off this show. It’s literally just all over the place. Even at this point in time, when they really don’t have to “save” content anymore, in the second and third to last episodes they’re basically still just fucking around, sticking in random things that seem to have little to do with the plotline or really with basic continuity.

They aren’t being a slave to a specific story arch. Mostly they are touching base with all the various characters over the course of the series more than focusing on the villain of the year.

I mean, the big baddie for this season is Darkseid, and we’ve seen what, three direct seconds of him? Yet we get some additional random episode of the Toymaster (or whatever the hell his name is), who apparently was just thrown in for random kicks and giggles with some individual episode plot element that made no sense whatsoever.

It’s just embarrassing.

Doesn’t bother me in the slightest - I’m happy it hasn’t been Darkseid this and Darkseid that every flipping episode. Lex Luthor is the villain of this story, and he’s back for the final, and the series recapitulates its initial themes, which is far more important.

I think that misses my point. I’m fine with what you’ve said, but then let’s have some actual intelligent build up to Lex Luthor. Not just a final episode where he reappears.

You’ve given me a perfect example - what was the deal with his little clone? What happened to him? Why has he simply disappeared for a bunch of episodes? Why did they even drag him into the plot in the first place? Did everyone just kind of forget about him and stop monitoring him?

I get (because they have made in painfully obvious) that they are trying to perform “send off” episodes for the major characters (Jonathan Kent, Martha Kent, Kara, etc.). But they are doing it in an incredibly ham-fisted way.

I completely agree with this. This season has provided some squee inducing moments for me and the episodes taken singly aren’t appreciably worse than what’s been on offer over the last few years, but as a whole the season storyline is an utter mess. It seems to me that because they refuse to show Clark become Superman until the finale, they’ve been left to fill the rest of the season with crap. What would’ve been great is Clark stepping into Superman’s boots at the mid-season finale and then showing him deal with that for the last half of the season.

Toyman was talking about the mind controlled and super powered Lois, not Lex.

I would have preferred that, too, but that was something that was entirely dependent on negotiations with Michael Rosenbaum. They were able to get him for the finale, which was at least something.

You’ve given me a perfect example - what was the deal with his little clone? What happened to him? Why has he simply disappeared for a bunch of episodes? Why did they even drag him into the plot in the first place? Did everyone just kind of forget about him and stop monitoring him?

I didn’t need Darkseid as the constant refrain in every episode, and I didn’t need Lex-clone in every episode.

I get (because they have made in painfully obvious) that they are trying to perform “send off” episodes for the major characters (Jonathan Kent, Martha Kent, Kara, etc.). But they are doing it in an incredibly ham-fisted way.

Don’t watch. Oh wait, we are down to the final episode…

;-)

Tomorrow is the big night, 10 seasons in the making!

Wow.

You won’t believe a man can fly!

The bit where Doctor Who showed up to see the big moment was pretty neat, though.