Sniper Elite 5 - Slo-mo bullet surgery and release the kraken

Only 4 deaths, pretty good. I almost always kill my self a time or two with a poorly planned grenade.

So in 10 days you played 50 hours. Gawd, I wish I was younger and had more time or retired and had more time. I’ve been playing this for 2 months now and am only halfway through. No wonder I never finish games…just too much time between play sessions and the moment goes away so i move on.

Some of that was AFK time but yep. I played SE4 similarly, all at once. Typically I game about 3-4 different games at a time and all of them only a bit. When something I like comes out I tend to immerse myself in it, like this.

Also, *cough*, work from home allows a bit of time.

I was late to the party playing SE4 so I feel like I fell into this one pretty quickly. I also neglected any multiplayer at all. That makes things easier, actually.

In the end I had several mini-strategies, but I didn’t up the difficulty too much. I really should have.

The best mini-strategy for me during the end and heavy combat was to lay traps out and then actually just snipe, search parties be damned. Trying to all-stealth approach is fun and easy when the enemy groupings are small, but it just doesn’t work well in say, a factory where there are 8 various enemies and an alarm right outside. So, pick a snipe spot, get elevated, lay traps on pathways to you, and snipe away, preferably with subsonic until they turn red, then anything you want after that. Instead of Cat Scratch Fever, I named this approach Catwalk Fever, since those tend to be perfect spots to just go to town and wait for the search parties to come to you. My most used kill method was the rifle, followed by the (silenced) pistol, and then followed by stealth takedowns. The latter becomes something of an issue later in the campaign with heavy troops that you can’t use that on. But a subsonic ammo pistol shot to the side of the head works every single time.

It really is. Just wrapped up the campaign yesterday. Not too long at 14 hours. This richness plus the pretty rich gameplay make this a great series. I can see it becoming repetitive but I found it very enjoyable. I think the next one should be 19th century :)

14 hours for the whole campaign?! the first two missions took me 9 hours alone.

Yeah I had a long time but that’s the way I enjoy the game. I could see where I could have easily rushed it.

I was pretty run and gun towards the end :)

The first Sniper game I played took awhile, but none after that did. You kind of learn what the game wants you to do after that,

How good a PC does this require? I ran SE4 without any problems.

You should be fine. It wasn’t that much of a step from SE4.

Now I just need it to go on sale. Probably the holiday sale.

It’s on gamepass if your not against getting a membership

Ah, yes, I remember. You’re a bullet-drop analyst at Barrett Firearms. ;-)

I’ve got a 6-year-old i7 and a 1070FE, and it maintains a solid 60 fps @ 1440p at medium-to-high settings. I’m still amazed at how good it looks and how well it runs on this old beast.

I’ve got only 7 hours in, but I’m still on the first mission!

Every time I play this, what always gets me is that despite my carefully sneaking around, I inevitably will run almost straight into a couple of enemy soldiers, and they’re not even alerted yet, and I just run literally right into them.

When Sniper Elite V2 came out, I was on the worldwide leaderboards for that game. I kicked ass in that game. But as I’m getting older, either my concentration is failing me, or my eyesight. I can still snipe with no sniping aids quite well, but now when moving around the map, I’m bumbling around like an unguided and unbalanced medicine ball.

Did anyone play the original? 2 came out in 2012 I think but the original is supposed to have been 2005, according to a quick google.

Good. My pc is 6 years old now. I was shocked it ran Elden Ring but FROM doesn’t push the envelope much. I keep thinking I am 1-2 games from a new one.

I’ve got the PC version of the original. It’s been many years now, but I remember it being excellent.

Sure, certain things have improved in the years since, but for its time, it was the only game in town for a pure sniping sim. There were others, but none took it quite so seriously. Even back in 2005, it had features such as very large levels making for some very long kills, great art direction and atmosphere, interesting and varied missions, and the controls felt spot-on (very similar if not the same as the newer games).

It even then featured bullet-drop, wind resistance, and I think heartbeat as well (though I’m not sure on the heartbeat one). I played it for quite some time, and it was the game that turned me on to sniper games. From the moment I took my first long shot, I was smitten.

Oh, it also featured the bullet-cam, and it was very well-done, complete with cinematic camera movement and sound effects. The only thing missing was the X-Ray Kill Cam part, which premiered with Sniper Elite V2.

Recommended if you can find a copy. They had the basics really well worked-out and polished all the way back then. GOG has it as well, although I have no clue how well it works with newer systems:

I’ve been trying to buy a new rig for years now, but the graphics card cost was an obvious deterrent. And even now after prices are getting stabilized, I’ve found the 1070 to be more capable than I thought it was. Well, that and the fact that certain game engines seem to work really well with it. The new Hitman games run just fine with it, for instance. So for now, I’m sticking with old Betsy here. :)

This is one of the games I’m holding off on until I build my new machine(well, new CPU, mobo, GPU, and RAM), along with Total Warhammer 3. My 980ti could probably handle SE5 at reasonable settings, but it’s a game I really want to be able to crank all the way up.

I think they design it for these things now. Towards the end I got to where I would kill a couple, then move, repeat. And it never failed I seemed to walk STRAIGHT into someone who was generally pathing near some new area I was at. It got so I would always run with the silenced pistol just because of that. Even after doing some recon and seeing where everyone was, where the patrols walked, etc. Just a random enemy right there where you’re headed. Oh wait, he has a friend. I didn’t use the sensor vision nearly as much as I should have until late in the game.

This is balanced by the gaming of what perks they give us. There was one map where I totally screwed the pooch and got stuck in some fields near a Nazi encampment and building, WITH the alarm going off. Fortunately there was high grass nearby. Bottles and whistles were my best friend picking off stragglers for several hours. I feel like some enemy at some point would have purposefully wandered into the high grass and been like, “Why are there 20 of my dead friends here???” Nope.