Sniper: Ghost Warrior 3 - Open-world sniper survival

Tom , don’t hate just because the game has mines in it. ;)

I should finally have time to play this on Thursday. Can’t wait.

@Telefrog, I am guessing there are no missions where you have an AI spotter tagging along with you? I figure the drone does that work now. But in SGW1 and 2, it was a nice change of pace to have someone be there with you as you did the missions.

Finished the prologue and 2 missions so far, also died at the same spot Tom did, where there were mines. Reason I died there was I actually climbed the other side of the mountain, took out the sniper up there, then as I was running down the other side of the mountain I entered the mine zone and it was too late to even activate the disarm option. :p

Looks lovely on ultra settings.

I dislike the scrap enemy gun mechanic, as it doesn’t always trigger. And it set to the U key, which is horrible. :)
It is really satisfying clearing an enemy base from a distance and then just going in and looting the area.

I am really enjoying this. Also the map you start on is only 1 of 3 map zones. So there is a lot of area to cover.

I was also surprised that driving with the keyboard does not suck horribly.

All in all this should have been a $40 title with season pass, and I think reviewers would have been more forgiving.

Also first patch notes are up on Steam:

Added an FOV slider
You can find it: Option Menu > Settings > Video
Added a Motion Blur On/Off toggle
You can find it: Option Menu > Settings > Video > Advanced options
Fixed Heart beat sound
Fixed various extreme navigation issues
Made the Buggy Vehicle destructible
Fixed the KTR assault rifle aim position
Fixed some issues with using ladders
Fixed discovering new Points of Interest
Fixed saving issues of completed Points of Interest
Fixed issues with settings changes not saving properly
Fixed animation - sprint to zoom blend
Fixed animation - fast select prams unify
Tweaks in bows animations
Multiple mission scripting fixes
Various ambient sound fixes
Wolf sound fixes
Removed green blood elements in wolf attack
Repaired character voice in the Deep Ending mission
Repaired bush sounds for player
Fixes some keyboard binding issues
Fixed some of the cases with rain inside the building
Some localization fixes
Many other minor fixes

When the hell did this happen?!?
And by that I mean when did downloading the damn game become faster than installing it from disks?

Truthfully, I have not used my DVD drive for much in recent years; maybe backing up some files. But I got a 20% discount from pre-ordering the DVD version from Amazon, so I figure I’ll save some time and install directly from the disks. Jesus, did it always take this long? I know damn well I’ve downloaded games this size in less than half the time it’s been taking. I’m tempted to cancel, and just let it download, but I’ve just put in disk #3 of 4. The installer is telling me I’ve got over an hour to go, and I’ve been installing for about an hour already. Fortunately, I needed to take a shower while it was installing, but I finished that long ago, and now I’m just waiting and switching disks.This is not an old computer. It’s a five-month-old Alienware for chrissake. Is there something wrong with my DVD drive, or is the internet really that much faster than an on-board drive?

Bad enough I had to wait until today for Amazon to get the thing here (what happened to release-day shipping? edit: oh wait. That’s exactly what they did; they shipped it out on release day.). But now I may have to wait another day just to install the damn thing. Argh!

Just wait till you load the game the first time. :D

I’ll worry about that if I ever get there.
I don’t know about you, but Tom said it was about a minute loading from an SSD.
Which is fine, but I’m installing mine on a 7200rpm spinner. My SSD is OS only. So I’ll be sure and let you know what the load time is from that.
First I have to survive this excruciating install.

@Giles_Habibula did you survive the install process? I am surprised it just didn’t give a steam code in the box. :)

One thing I really enjoy about this game, on my 3rd mission you have to take out a guy inside a building. You can do this without alerting a single enemy in the entire area if you find the right sniper spot.

Taking out everyone in the base and looting it will give you more XP and crafting materials. But it is a nice choice to have.

Unfortunately, I wound up killing the objective in a lot of the missions, then sticking around to kill everyone else, because why would I let all that sweet loot and XP get away? It’s kind of ridiculous when you think about it.

@Telefrog , did you notice the collectibles you find get added to your hideout, and I am glad they didn’t go lazy and just do a loot wall. :)

Yes, I stumbled on to it when I noticed a pair of bracelets I found on a mission had appeared in the hideout on the base of a desk lamp. Pretty cool.

On the flip side, the collectibles for collectibles’ sake isn’t something I’m keen on. Why am I stealing a bunch of religious artifacts - in a couple cases literally off the walls of churches? It’s kind of weird.

It’s because you are an American in another country, saving the common people, and you can steal what you want! :p

Yeah, I survived it. And they did give me a Steam code. For some reason, I thought it might be faster to install from the disks. But it’s been a few years since I did a disk install, and I’d forgotten how slow it was. Four disks, and even after that I had to download the last 34% anyway, which went a lot faster. Grand total of 2 hours and 15 minutes. Load time for the tutorial was 40 seconds. The first real mission took 2 minutes and 25 seconds to load from my regular hard drive. Probably because there was a lot more to load, I’m guessing. Checkpoint loads were about 30 seconds.

Got through the tutorial plus the first mission last night. As usual for these sniper games, I’m playing on the hardest difficulty because I don’t want the aids that tell me where my shot is going to land. But now I’m confused on whether that dial you turn affects anything when you’re playing on hardest. I’m going to need to play a bit more to figure that out.

So far though, I’m having fun. It’s nice having the freedom to pick my own sniping spots, and I also already managed to mess things up, and had to do a frantic get-away, which was actually pretty exciting. It was the gas station mission, and I decided to test the game to see if it would insta-fail me if I took the one guy out way before I was supposed to. It didn’t, and that’s when things got pretty interesting.

Yeah I had stuff go fubar when I was just messing around at an outpost, I popped smoke and made for the hills.

I am only playing on normal, I don’t want that much of a challenge. ;)

Oops!

The sniping in this game is really fun, and I’m enjoying certain aspects of the game immensely.

I’m not enjoying the save system. I got killed in the middle of a mission. It took me some time to get there, as I don’t believe in using the fast travel gimmick when I’m trying to immerse myself into the world. Anyway, I got killed shortly after carefully parking my jeep positioned for a quick getaway. As the game had auto-saved right after I parked, I spawned back very close to where I was, but my jeep had disappeared. Checking the map, I found it back at my safe house. Lame. This game is really pushing me to use the fast travel.

Also, how do you know how much ammo you have left? I have no indicator of my overall ammo, nor of how much is left in the clip. I’m probably missing something obvious, but this would seem to be basic info that should be displayed prominently. I wouldn’t think it would be removed because of playing on the hardest difficulty?

When I was a lad, you counted your rounds yourself.

Which I am doing. I can live with that.
What what about overall ammo?

What you are carrying on yourself is listed in the UI lower right, this is playing on normal though, not sure about higher difficulties.

Yeah, I don’t have any ammo at all shown in my UI. Okay, so maybe I’m supposed to keep track of all ammo in my head. Which could be difficult if my play sessions are spread days apart. I guess I may need to drop the difficulty down a notch. I’ll see how it goes.

That’s kind of cool if the difficulty level takes away the onscreen ammo count! Too bad there’s zero incentive to play this game on a harder difficulty level.

-Tom

There certainly is. At least for me, I find it much more incredibly satisfying to pull off a long distance shot when there are no on screen aids telling me exactly where my shots will land before I even pull the trigger. So as far as advancing through the game goes, maybe there is no incentive, but as far as feeling like I’ve personally achieved something with each and every difficult shot, then definitely yes.