Snowpiercer (2020) on TNT

May 17th! I thought we had a thread for this, but damned if I can find it.

https://www.tntdrama.com/snowpiercer

The show is fine. It’s just fine. In an all-too-obvious twist, it’s exactly the kind of science-fiction drama that TNT has been making for roughly a decade — bound to satisfy former fans of “Falling Skies” or “The Last Ship

So… that would be me, since I enjoyed both of them shows!

This has shown up on UK Netflix. I take it from the initial reviews and the lack of engagement with this thread that it’s not worth bothering with?

I still haven’t found time to watch the first episode. :P

Well, if you go in hoping it’s “like the movie”, you’re definitely in for a disappointment (as is often the case with adaptations, imo). I think it’s actually pretty good. Sort of a police procedural stuffed into the Snow Piercer setting, which may sound terrible but isn’t, so far.

First episode is free on Amazon. I’m wrapping up ep. 2.

Just saw the first episode. I really liked it, which I didnt expect. AS expected though, I disliked the gratuitous violence.
There is some extremely interesting world building here, that I am quite worried never really amounts to anything. First episode of these kind of shows often ARE interesting, but fail to deliver upon its promises. I guess its easier to setup a mystery, than actually keep it interesting while solving it.

Thanks for the thread bump , I never got around to watching it, maybe as I get more free time at the end of the summer. I have them all on the DVR waiting for me.

My wife and I also watched start to finish and enjoyed it. I thought the development of both the characters and the world (basically the train) were done well. Some plot strings were left hanging, including the real purpose behind “the drawers” and not everything about the train and the outside world were completely explained or revealed, but it looks like Season Two may draw on a lot of that for its plot, so it’s cool.

It also appears Season Two has already been shot and is in post-production currently, and rumor has it that a Season Three has been greenlit as well, so the show must have scored some nice COVID Quarantine ratings.

I was pretty happy with it too, overall. No issues, delivered what it promised.

Didn’t Cavill tell Layton the purpose, in addition to removing criminals and other undesirables from the picture, was to save humanity, by setting aside people who fit a certain profile for future dethawing?

Ha! Maybe Trump will replace Wolford in real life and all the rich people and some hand-picked lackeys will board the Trump Train to escape the impending doom. Only they won’t know that the rest of us stopped building the tracks about a mile off the coast…

She did mention something about that, but it was unclear if the majority of the drawers were for suspension of the people who would be useful in rebuilding humanity, or for how long they planned on keeping them under. It also looked like they were having unexpected issues with the suspension process, and perhaps were using the people sentenced to time in the drawers as an experiment on how best to thaw out the others or what might be happening to them while they are under. It just didn’t seem very detailed considering the important role they play on the train, but then again, Season Two may expand on it further.

Season 2!

Sean Bean!

I bet he dies…

Season 2 is up! Strong start.

I am catching up! I finished season 1 last night, and really enjoyed it. :)

Some really great twists and the cast is top notch.

I’ll start season 2 next week once I get my OLED tv set up.

I just assumed this would be disappointing after having loved the movie. I guess I should give it a shot. I, like most, do love Jennifer Connoly.

Season 3 is currently filming in case anyone was wondering. :)

I actually enjoyed Season Two even more than the first season. It managed to tie together both the overall lore of what happened to the planet pre-Snowpiercer and what may be happening now plus the whole class revolution thing into a cohesive plot that was interesting and suspenseful. Connelly, Diggs, Bean and others all do a great job with their characters, and the pacing is tight, moving the plot along quickly but without skipping important details.

Overall I’ve found the series to be pretty well produced, and I am looking forward to the third season.

AS many mediocre Netflix shows that I have given a try and watched, this sounds like I’ll enjoy it. My kid will watch some sci-fi stuff with me (rewatched Lost and The Colony among others), so maybe I can convince her.

Yeah I suggest people at least give it a shot. :)

I watched season 1 over the last week. It’s better than I had feared, but definitely a disappointing use of the premise, and flawed in execution in many respects. I broadly agree with the AV Club’s reviewer’s analysis of its flaws - generally poor character development and motivations, bizarrely ignoring the Tail for most of the runtime, pretty simplistic social critique - and I was really not happy with the final episode, but on the other hand I’m hopeful that having got some of the weaker structural aspects of the first season out of the way the second season will be better able to play to its strengths. So far, though, the comparison with The Expanse, which also had a first season using a sci fi murder procedural framework to package a story about class conflict, is not doing Snowpiercer any favours.

Of course, but they’re the ones that gave the show a similar initial set-up. And it’s not like the comparison with Snowpiercer the movie is particularly favourable on those points either (the movie wasn’t exactly subtle in its social critique, but it didn’t feel as slapped on as it sometimes does here).