So I guess 2016 claimed its biggest victim yet - America

https://twitter.com/RogerJStoneJr/status/842085241795796996

Damn, what a sick motherbleeper. What kind of asshole does that?

Massive cuts to science funding across the board:

Great breakdown by WaPo here.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/politics/trump-presidential-budget-2018-proposal/?tid=sm_tw

Lots of good stuff in the story.

And it’s worse than it looks there. For example the part of the DOE that maintains nukes isn’t cut, so that 6% of the DOE total budget comes entire from the part that funds scientific research.

At this point I’d rather get hit by a CME* that knocks out the power grid for a couple of years.

(*CME= coronal mass ejection.)

It would certainly cure people of their social media addiction!

21% reduction in Department of Agriculture… Dear Nebraska, Iowa and Kansas: you voted for this idiot. But hey, EMAILS! Yours always, Jim

Seriously though, most of these cuts sound like the things a Bond villain would remove. “Clean air? Clean water? Public television? Food for the elderly? Health and Human Services? SLASH THEM ALL AND BUY GUNS INSTEAD!”

I have to wonder who thought Meals on Wheels needed to be stopped and why. Did they know what the program does when they redlined it, or did they just assume it was some wacky budget boondoggle that gave pizza delivery shops free trucks?

Don’t forget all kinds of cuts to foreign aid (except those to Israel, since that money comes back to US defense contractors anyway).

Trumpanzees will cheer the EPA and State Department cuts because they’ve been conditioned to believe that it’s silly EPA regulations that are stifling businesses in America and if only we could chill out about having clean air/water/soil then the factories could stay here in America and Johnny Murica could have a nice $25 an hour job with benefits. They also think the State Department somehow hands out bazillions of dollars a year to foreign governments without any oversight.

They should be outraged over the next 10 cuts on the list though. All 10 agencies directly benefit rural and low income voters, small businesses and commerce. With these budget cuts, it will be farmers, ranchers, small businesses, manufacturing and transportation companies, and rural and urban poor who are impacted the most. The very same people Trump promised to champion are the people he’s kicking in the ass with this budget proposal.

But they’ll eat it all up like good boys and girls and still cheer, because Trump is going to spend money on “National Security” to keep those dirty brown people from coming into the country and taking our non-existent factory jobs or those other dirty brown people from making us all bow to Mecca five times a day. LOCK HER UP!! BUILD THAT WALL!! KILL MY FAMILY!! Wait…what?

Anyway, once you guys get to the point of “I would do literally anything to stop this madness and save our nation,” you just lemme know, man.

…even though they HA HA, YOU DID IT, YOU FUCKED YOURSELF, they’ll continue to support Trump out of sheer mulishness (Brit: bloody-mindedness). Nobody wants to be wrong. Nobody wants to be as horribly, awfully, terribly wrong as a person who voted for Trump believing that he was going to bring the Good Times Back. So they double-down on their wrongness, stick their fingers in their ears, and go LA-LA-LA while a bunch of rich white dudes fuck them in the ass.

I suppose the Trump administration knows a lot of these cuts won’t happen because Congress won’t go along with them.

This budget serves a few purposes.

1. It provides distraction/cover for the less egregious but still harmful cuts Ryan will no doubt pursue
  2. It provides sheer bloody red meat for the Trumpists
  3. When it’s modified beyond recognition in Congress, Trump can blame it on someone else and still look like he’s doing what he promised

But yes, the core concept behind all of this is “be evil.” Or, more precisely “be mean.” Being a jerk is Trump’s stock in trade; the very essence of his brand. People didn’t vote for him in spite of his being a colossal asshole; they voted for him because of it. Putting all the money into making our military even more ridiculously big, and building a giant wall to keep out the Mexicans, appeals to a bunch of people who, as far as I can tell, are just tired of being nice. And obviously the joy of laughing at cucks who mourn Big Bird or endangered species really just tickles them in that special spot.

I heard it argued yesterday that automakers actually fear the idea of the changes, because one of their largest markets (California) will still require them. Automakers would actually prefer the entire nation adopt the California standards.

Now I haven’t googled to see if that is true or not.

I’m under the impression they already do that. If a state has a high requirement, they cater to that state on a national level. The Fed dropping requirements wouldn’t change what the states require… so isn’t this a bit of a moot point?

Haven’t the automakers ALREADY implemented these changes? Or is there some new regulation that hasn’t gone into effect yet?

Meh, it’s short, I’ll just quote it here:

ARLINGTON, VA—Throwing President Trump’s 2018 budget proposal across the room in a fit of anger, James Scheri, ringleader of the Meals on Wheels America program, reportedly shook his fist in the air and shouted “Curses!” Thursday upon learning that his gravy train could soon be cut off. “Blast—my scheme has been found out!” said Scheri, his face growing red with rage after learning of the Trump administration’s plans to eliminate federal grants that fund his elaborate moneymaking swindle of delivering food to the homes of elderly and disabled Americans. “The jig is up! Now that those damned feds have gotten wind, what will become of the grand empire I have built? And what of all my many mansions and luxury automobiles? My life of Community Development Block Grant luxury might be at an end!” At press time, Scheri was excitedly rubbing his hands together after realizing the government had yet to pick up on his secret racket to make billions through federal housing programs for homeless veterans.