So I guess 2016 claimed its biggest victim yet - America

But he supports gay people more than the Democrats!

Have any of you ever seen A Sound of Thunder? It’s a terrible movie based on the Ray Bradbury time-traveling story. This tour group offers trips back in time to safari hunt dinosaurs that are just about to die of natural causes anyway. The safari customers are supposed to follow all these rules meant to prevent paradoxes, chief of which is to not step off this particular path. One of them eventually does, and kills a prehistoric butterfly. Now, in the short story, the hero comes back to the modern world and finds things are different. Spooky! The end! In the terrible movie, Edward Burns returns to his time, and “time waves” begin to ravage the world, slowly turning every living thing into mutants and bio-goo.

I feel like I’m living in that world. Like, someone must’ve stepped off the dinosaur path, killed an insect, and now paradox time waves are slowly changing the world around me to match the catastrophic reality of the butterfly effect.

The story was pretty good. The movie was so very bad. But yeah, I see your point. Someone killed the wrong roach.

I will never forget that movie. It contains perhaps the absolute worst green screen example in the history of cinema. Two main characters are “walking down a futuristic street” early in the movie, and I swear I almost had an aneurism when that scene came on. I have tried to find it on YouTube to inflict it on others (without success). It’s memorable.

I wouldn’t necessarily hold it against someone that they had ties to a sectarian militia in that war, but with this guy it really is as bad as it sounds. He was in the entourage of Samir Geagea, who was one of the worst of the worst. When he was sent out to assassinate a guy, he ended up killing him, his wife, his kids, his housekeeper, and his dog. In order to kill another guy he blew up a church full of people. I’d prefer that those kinds of values not be promoted in America.

It’s sort of hilarious that you bring that up. Everybody remembers that a guy stepped off the path and killed a butterfly, thus changing the future. But nobody remembers what the change actually was:

“Makes you think. If the election had gone badly yesterday, I might be here now running away from the results. Thank God Keith won. He’ll make a fine President of the United States.”

“Yes,” said the man behind the desk. “We’re lucky. If Deutscher had gotten in, we’d have the worst kind of dictatorship. There’s an anti-everything man for you, a militarist, anti-Christ, anti-human, anti-intellectual. People called us up, you know, joking but not joking. Said if Deutscher became President they wanted to go live in 1492."

Of course, after they return from the past having killed the butterfly:

“Who—who won the presidential election yesterday?”
The man behind the desk laughed. “You joking? You know very well. Deutscher, of course! Who else? Not that fool weakling Keith. We got an iron man now, a man with guts!”

I remembered it. That’s why I said roach.

Oh, I specifically mentioned that story and movie for that connotation. The difference is that Trump’s presidency (like the movie) feels like a series of ravaging electrical storms that sweep in and leave mutant apes in their wake.

Well I guess more people remembered than I thought. Also, laughing my ass off at your description of the Trump presidency, Telefrog.

I dunno. A mutant ape president sounds pretty good right now.

The fact that this exists is proof of the thread title.

Check out William Tenn’s ‘The Brooklyn Project,’ if you haven’t. It pretty effectively depicts a cascading ‘time wave’ effect ending in total insanity.

I blame Barry Allen.

I posted that on election night.

Hahahaha, the jokes on all of us, because Trump is going to fire all the cabinet secretaries before we get to that point.

Seriously, what if Tillerson is fired and there is an interim? Can the interim take part in the cabinet vote on the 25th? If not, look for Trump to fire all of them and have permanent interims. Because I assume the idea is that cabinet secretaries are all approved by the Senate, so there’s a hint of legitimacy there. Interims are not.

I’ve figured out why so many people in the cabinet and administration are so obviously stupid. Trump likes stupid people the way Time Bandits Napoleon like short people. And though people of that caliber are indeed hard to find, Trump nevertheless wound up with quite a number of them, with Huckabee and Perry most prominent among a herd of only slightly less stupid colleagues.

C’mon, be fair - it’s the Speed Force.

Senator Stabenow Leads Robert Ritchie (“Kid Rock”) by 8%

After a few Ric Flair-esque "whoo"s into the mic, Rock began his speech rap with, “What’s going on in the world today? Seems the government wants to give everyone healthcare, but wants us all to pay. Now to be very frank, I don’t have a problem with that, but that’s because God has blessed me and made my pockets fat. But redistribution of wealth seems more like their plan, and I don’t believe you should have to save, sacrifice and do things by the book, and then have to take care of some deadbeat, lazy ass milking-the-system motherfucker.”

Touching on the recent feud between President Trump and the NFL and Rock’s own belief that everyone should have to stand for the national anthem, he stated, “Call me a racist, because I’m not PC… Nazis, bigots and now again the KKK; I say fuck all you assholes, stay the fuck away.”

To guffaws from the audience, Rock touched on issues within the LGBTQ community. “Why these days is everything so damn gay?” he said. “I mean, gay rights this, transgender that. I say to hell with it, let 'em get married if they want, because we got way bigger problems to worry about than all that. But things shouldn’t be this complicated; and, no, you don’t get to choose, because whatever you have between your legs should determine the bathroom that you use. Pretty simple.”

Shitgibbon Jr.

Another deep-thinker.