So I guess 2016 claimed its biggest victim yet - America

Also famously did not know what he was doing.

You should be looking for someone with a keen intelligence and a willingness to learn about issues.

I really hope this doesn’t come to pass - I think the US needs a few decades of regular politicians mucking it up after this rather than going full on populism.

I don’t know how it is in America, other than what I read here and other places, but one of the great hurdles of that kind of experience and knowledge of politics, is that it DOES come from the same clique, the same families, the same small cadre of people, who through leadership has become rich, and through being rich, are candidates for political offices.

I’d personally love to see someone outside that small circle of people to actively take up the reins of leadership. It does seem that even when actively trying to ruin your country, it does not appear to be in flames yet, so if a non-evil, competent person sat at the wheel, perhaps that would not be such a bad idea?

Even in Denmark, where we traditionally can elect anyone, we have the same semiknown circle of people of means who can occupy the large political offices - Its sickening to watch them ignore the base of Denmark, just to enrich themselves and their friends. It happens pretty much everywhere.

Are you saying there is something rotten in the state of Denmark?

Indeed - its become more of a game of powerplays, rather than anyone actively trying to better the everyday of the citizens, and thats sad.

It USED to be about making things better for everyone.

Oprah is the head of a gigantic media empire. Republicans used to love to talk up how Schwarzenegger was business genius when he was running for governor of CA. Oprah has a net worth ten times his. (And, at 2.8 billion, probably more than Trump if we had accurate measures of Trump’s net worth.)

Is having a great big pile of money a valid qualification for public office? Not really, but everyone was willing to act like it was when Trump and Schwarzenegger were running. Why would we treat an African-American woman differently? (Oh wait.)

If she were running for Governor of some state, then that’s one thing. But this is the highest office in the land.
If she wants to be governor of California, that’s cool with me. And if she is a decent governor, THEN she can run for President.

I’d say that’s a really terrible use of "everyone. " Both were pretty unqualified.

Regardless of what you think of Schwarzenegger’s track record as governor, he was not particularly unqualified to run for governor. In contrast to the presidency, it is not so unusual for governors to have little or no previous public sector experience. Mark Warner, GWB, Rick Scott, and John Lynch are all recent examples.

I’m OK with a Governor having less experience. At worst, they make a mess of one state and (optimistically) they don’t progress any further from there. Running a state is much smaller in scope, and you don’t have to worry about foreign policy, military action, etc.

But jumping straight to President? Yeah, I’d like to see how they handle a bicycle with training wheels before having them drive a bullet bike.

I’d like to see if they go to bed with a cheeseburger.

Obama? Bush and Bush, yes. Clinton (Bill) at the time of his election? Reagan? Carter?

Oprah would get slaughtered for some of her past engagements and the fact she hung out with Weinstein on more than one occasion.Don’t get me wrong. She is way more qualified than Trump based on temperament again, but a good speech is just that.

Plus she’d let Tom Cruise jump all over the oval office couches. No one wants that.

You’d prefer he sit coquettishly like Conway?

Never imagined I’d see the word “coquettish” and “Conway” in the same sentence…

I look forward to her new federal program that helps address the dwindling bee population.

In America you can have someone come out of nowhere and by dint of talent/hard work ascend to an Ivy League university or high military rank and then become a person of consequence. (Occasionally they don’t even have to go to an Ivy League school!) You could argue that the process of going through those institutional gates corrupts a person, or the process of ingratiating oneself to the party structure corrupts a person, but at least as far back as Jackson there have been people who ascended to the highest office without fancy family connections. Lincoln, Grant (though, granted, his dad pulled strings to get him into West Point), Truman, LBJ, Nixon, Carter, Reagan, Clinton, Obama.

Of course on the other hand there are also your Kennedies, Roosevelts, Adamses, and Bushes. And then Trump who fits no category I can think of except that he is both rich and famous.

What you don’t think the Presidency should an entry level position? How 20th century.

Temperamentally, I think Oprah would be just fine. She has a run a huge business of a size and complexity greater than Trump’s and certainly equal to Mitt Romney. Her background is less than ideal, but compared to pretty much all the other celebrities out she is well qualified.

To me, it is actually an open question what better preparation for the Presidency; Obama’s 3 years in the Senate (before he started running) and 7 years in the IL house, or Oprah decades as CEO of a huge media company. I could definitely argue both sides.

Solid reply right here.