So I just picked up Space Rangers 2

I think there was a lot of that. Space Rangers II was, in many ways, a pretty hardcore game. To me that was the appeal, you took off and could die during the tutorial. It didn’t dick around.

Holy crap this game is addictive. I sat down to play this morning around 9:30, and all of a sudden it was 1:45pm. I’ve got a new hull with twice the space (340 spare cargo area on a ship with 3 weapon slots AND a booster! Sweet!) and have great relations with just about everybody. I love it when your job is to deliver something to a planet that hates you, and when you land they’re like, “No trading for YOU!” and then you turn in the quest and they’re like “Hey, man! Can we sell you a system map? Want a special quest, buddy? Come back any time!”

I’m also loving how, if you get bored doing one thing, there’s 3 other things to do. Tired of running planetary missions? Go extort a cruise liner! Sick of hunting down pirates? Take a reputation hit and become a drug runner! Recruit others to take on the Dominator-controlled systems, or just sneak around the edges of Dominator fights and pick up all the sweet space-loot!

Btw, anyone know if the reputation penalty affects more than the single planets you trade the illicit goods on? Is it faction-wide, or just local?

I believe it scales, so it’s largest on that planet, but will likely affect your relations with all planets of that race to a lesser extent. Not entirely sure though, I’m afraid I tended to be a do-gooder :)

Not on sale in my country.

I’m convinced - this the one to get?: http://gogamer.com/Space-Rangers-2-DVD-Edition-Front-Page_stcVVproductId4761207VVcatId444710VVviewprod.htm

Yeah, that’s the game. Though, I’m pretty sure that version has Starforce copy protection. But, if you buy the Reboot expansion it will remove the need for it.

Or also, put the no-cd crack after installing the game.

If you choose the North American version, you get a printed version of the in-game HTML manual and a copy of the original Space Rangers (1) .

If you have any stores nearby that carry those stripped down, disc-only, endcap versions of discount software, you might find a manual-free copy for a third of the price.

That DVD version has Space Rangers 1 as well, and is on DVD. And doesn’t have Starforce, I don’t think. Although frankly I’d just buy the whole thing off Impulse and skip SR1, which is pretty vestigial.

Since Space Rangers 1 is nothing but Space Rangers 2 with less, I’m not sure it’s worth caring about.

OK, let me get this straight. I have the original import (UK) release that I bought at Fry’s, I think. As soon as they had a good no-CD crack at GCW, I applied it and removed Starforce. My questions–if I buy the digitally-distributed expansion from Stardock, will I have to use the original .exe (the uncracked one) and will the expansion pack modify the .exe to not require Starforce? If so, cool.

The former is true, but the latter is not, unfortunately. Though the main strength of the NA version is the printed manual. I find it much easier to reference while playing the game.

Help! I’m trying to kick the Dominators out of a system, but I’d love to have some buddies help me. Where do you meet the groups of ships massing to take on the Dominators? Are they generally in the same Sector as the system that’s Dominator controlled, or is it random?

You can often get advance warning of where a group is going to assemble and when they’re going to attack by reading the news when you’re planetside.

I started this up again and damned if I have not gotten myself into a debt hole. I keep getting enough to pay, but am not ever close enough to a business center before the deadline and they charge me a phat penalty. Then I got tossed in jail and blew about 5,000 credits. I think my debt is at around 37,000 of which I have ~27. I think the juice is running after I shut the game off. That business center is a racket.

It’s a life lesson.

Agreed, however those penalties are criminal. CRIMINAL, I tell you!

Back from the dead, etc.

I decided to grab this for 5 bucks used rather than get the gold edition off Impulse for $40. Hoping there is a Starforce crack! Has anyone tried the expansion yet? Is it worth getting for a first-playthrough?

I know there’s a crack for the UK version-- I would hope there’s also one for the US version too. Just check the usual place.