So, is PS4 Pro worth it over standard PS4 for 55" 1080p plasma PC gamer ?

Some games accumulated on PS4 that I want to play, so I am thinking about taking the plunge again.

But now there is the question of whether to go for standard or Pro version. I am a PC+console gamer. Both my PC and previous consoles are/were hooked to 55" Panasonic ST50 plasma, I love this TV. Not looking to replace it anytime soon.

I am mainly interested in these games:

Uncharted 4
Yakuza 0
Driveclub
Until Dawn
Horizon Zero Dawn
TLOU Remastered

But there are more games coming that interest me (TLOU2, Spiderman, Days Gone, Death Stranding).
What I am wondering, is it worth getting the Pro for 1080p plasma gaming, or should I save some money and get standard PS4?
As a PC gamer I am used to 60fps, but I know even Pro runs most games at 30, gonna have to get used to that (I do hate it though). But the downsampling could be great ? I use it when PC gaming sometimes and it does noticeable effect in eliminating shimmering and jaggies. Is it worth it and do the games I listed support downsampling to 1080p TVs ? What would you guys/gals get ?

It’s about what you want to spend. The PRO is strictly better and will give better performance (in general) than the normal PS4, but it’s more expensive.

If you are not going into console gaming in a big way, I’d say save the money. If this will be your game playing system for the long haul, consider spending the extra cash for the moderate degree of future-proofing that the Pro represents (plasmas wont last forever, I keep wondering when my 50" in the bedroom will give up). But there’s nothing to say that Sony might feel compelled to respond to the Scorpio release with its own new system in the next couple of years.

The gameplay and visuals on the original PS4 will look plenty great even for a high-visual-quality game like Horizon. As of right now, both PS4 models have 1TB hard drives standard, but PS4s can now use external hard drives and you might be able to get a great deal on a 500gb original or Slim PS4. I’m seeing a 500gb Uncharted 4 bundle for $250 on Amazon, that’s pretty nice compared to the $400 that the Pro stays at. Heck, you might even have an old laptop hard drive lying around that you could put into a USB 3 enclosure.

The frustrating thing about this whole stupid thing is we don’t know which games will come out in the future that take advantage of the Pro. It’s not like a video card where you will get 40% improvement on just about everything. It has to be supported by the developers, and then they have to support it in a way you care about (they might increase graphics fidelity instead of going to 60 fps).

After 100 hours in Nioh I kind of wish I had just broken down and spent the money so I could play it in 1080p60 instead of variable resolution. On the other hand, there’s still nothing out there in the past or near future (announced games) that I want that takes advantage of it significantly.

I’d still buy it so you aren’t kicking yourself in 6 months. E3 will be here soon.

Pro. I use mine at 1080p. You foolishly neglected to mention Nioh, which runs at 1080p 60 on the Pro (vs ~720 on Std). There’s usually some kind of benefit, whether via boost mode, higher frames, or super-sampling.

This is a good point that I’d use to say “wait until E3 if you can, and reevaluate”. Most of what you’re interested in are Sony properties which are going to take better advantage of the higher specs. I’d probably go Pro if the money works out but E3 should make the decision clearer for you.

Everybody should buy the Pro unless the extra $100 is a major impediment. If, say, you’re twelve years old and it takes weeks to earn that much money delivering newspapers. Or you’re living on disability due to an enraged walrus eating your feet and crashing in your parents’ basement.

This. The Pro is worth the money.

I agree completely - The upgrade to a pro has by far been my best console decision in all my console owning years.

Not only does it play my games better, it has more space than my launch PS4, it doesn’t make nearly the same amount of noise, AND I got to have so much fun with Aloy in amazingly great looking graphics!

Like @RickH says though, it’s more like “Buy the pro unless the extra $150 is a major impediment” because I literally just took advantage of the Amazon $250 price for a PS4 with Uncharted 4 last week supporting my son’s birthday purchase. The OG PS4 is rather “cheap” now and with E3 around the corner it might get cheaper yet. I doubt they’ll lower the price on the Pro yet, though.

Actually, the twelve year old should wait a month to earn that $100 and get the Pro.

No-feet McGee, while strictly limited in his income, doesn’t have to pay rent so he should get the Pro too. I mean, with no feet he has time to kick some major tween ass at Destiny 2. Not literally though, because no feet.

Now lets say you’re a single mom with two autistic kids, working three shifts at Hardees. Your feet ache (at least you’ve got feet!), your mind is blank with exhaustion, your roof leaks, and you need to sleep wearing shoes so the rats don’t gnaw off your toes (one downside of having feet). And now you’re gonna lose health care! The world is a bleak, challenging place for you. You are a proper candidate for a non-Pro PS4.

It’s more like $200+ for us poor shlubs that have to trade-in the stupid PS4, plus time to pack it all up.

Whether it’s worthwhile to upgrade the Pro is a different question, though. The OP doesn’t have any PS4 flavor yet.

What if I’m an international assassin with money to burn but barely time to turn around and grab a quick shower before I have to kill the president of Paraguay with a fork?

It’s a certification requirement with Sony that every game coming out take advantage of the Pro features to offer a better experience. The exact nature of the changes are up to individual developers, but there will be something in every game coming out.

You need portable gaming. I’d get an Nvidia Shield tablet and a subscription to GeForce Now.

Hey that’s pretty good. Now what if I’m CEO of a multinational corporation that wants to play the awesomest version of the newest games before I’m called to testify as an unindicted co-conspirator in a scam to drum up profits by selling AKs to child soldiers?

Thanks everyone. I am not much into Nioh but I would like if more Pro games offered 30 and 60fps choice.

I see there is a bundle now where I get 2TB Sony external harddrive with the Pro, and I wanted to get external drive anyway. I will get it.

Easy one. Razer Blade Pro.

Plan to buy the Pro. But wait until after E3 before you do.