So, who are you and what do you do?

Given that we’re still sticking to a fairly strict isolation (I know too many people with permanent disabilities due to post-Covid sequelae), it’s very pleasant. Most of the drawbacks would apply regardless of general location because of that.

Rural, isolated island? Are you hoping to be in a Stephen King novel?

Holy hell… I can’t believe someone necro’ed this thread. I made it almost 20 years ago. Does that even seem possible? Did we even have the internet 20 years ago?

Anyways, I guess I should update the OP: I’m now a Retail Account Manager at Acer Canada, managing a couple of our national retail accounts. Still married to the same beautiful woman I was with in 2002, having just celebrated our 29th year of matrimonial bliss. There were some serious down periods in the past 20 years, but I am in a pretty good place right now and extremely grateful for the life I have manifested in this timeline.

I don’t game anywhere near as much as I used to, and haven’t bought a console since the Xbox 360, though my PC is relatively up to date and GamePass rocks.

Now 57. Kid’s still living with me because 2023. Told him he’s got to be out by 30. Still happily dating the same woman.

Left my previous tech megacorp employer after 16.5 years and now a bit over a year into working as a content designer for another megacorp, building the foundation of the metaverse.

I was hoping to be one of the quirky background characters in a feel-good made for television movie, but it’s the 2020’s, so who the hell knows.

I have a near 30year old still living at home. But she works full time and has saved more money than a 30 year old would have ever thought was possible. She is also here to watch the house (and pets) when we travel.

A quick search showed that I mentioned being 41 in my first post in this thread, which feels crazy. Especially since I’m now 58, the kids are 19 and 15, I still work in the same bldg for the AF as I have mentioned, still love pizza, books, chocolate, movies, all things fantasy, history, and this message board. I’ve never hung out anywhere in life for as long as I have at Qt3 and I didn’t realize that until just now.

8 years later, my presentation is still accurate. Only now I’m getting close to my 50’s, and going through a divorce after 24 years of marriage, but not much changed outside of that.

Hahahaha, wow I was young. Looking at the dates I posted this 2 months after getting married (20 year anniversary soon!) and like 1.5 years before the birth of my first child. The same child who is now worried about ACT scores and college applications.

Still a strategy gamer, don’t do any programming anymore, still have an IT career in relational database consulting but I’m a pointy haired boss nowadays.

I was away from Qt3 for a few years (honestly not sure how long) and came back with my current moniker. I guess originally I went under my real name? Anyway, here I was back then, the 13th poster on this thread. Had my first of four kids. Still at the first game studio I worked for. Heard of 'em?? (You haven’t.)

Ok, so let’s look back…

Nope, too far.

There we go. Still need something else from this thread…

And of course, the last update for context.

Ok, good selection, but hear me out, what happens if we squash them together?

On Monday, February 27th, 6,562 days after leaving the game industry, I will be returning as Senior Director, Production Validation Testing at Activision-Blizzard-King. Still on the small rural island, though.

I’m kidding! Welcome back! I’ve never worked anywhere with a Production Validation Testing department. What will you be doing?

Product security.

Oh damn, I’m old!

I’m now at Riot with several stops in between, 52 and my youngest is about to graduate high school!

I’ve never posted in this thread, but when I joined the community, I was working toward the launch of a tabletop RPG after leaving behind 7 years of an MD/PhD program (hence the name).

Twenty years and two states later, my son and I are working toward opening an auto styling franchise. My wife and I celebrated our 30th anniversary last year. Pretty crazy stuff.

Let’s see, I’ve been around the site since 2011 (when I first started teaching), joined formally in 2016 (while on the cusp of finishing my PhD), and really became properly active in 2018 (while recovering from a serious neck injury - @tomchick 's game streaming at the time was a particular comfort during a tough few months).

These days I’m in my mid-40’s somehow, have a 2.5 year old (god help us), have been married coming up on 20 years, and am in the final stretch of a tenure track physics and astronomy teaching gig at a local college that I like quite a bit.

Shit, where’s the AARP thread? Somebody start one, please :(

Pretty new to the site, although I’ve been loosely aware of the forums existence for a good many years. Of course I’ve also been aware of the site via Tom’s writing, which while I haven’t always agreed with, I’ve always appreciated his writing style and honesty. Watching people melt down over dissenting voices (or just honest ones?) in games media is one of the particularly cheap ways I get my thrills, so it’s been amusing tracking some of Tom’s historical work in the past.

I’m a little bit of a lapsed gamer, I guess? I mostly operate on nostalgia now and enjoy fondly looking back at simpler times rather than engaging with too much about the modern industry. Maybe that same inability to generally move with the times is why I still love forums, which I guess is what brought me here. I also rub shoulders with @geggis in the offline realm, so thought I’d muscle in on his online turf too.

Does the island start with a V, by chance?

I remember you from RPS years ago (you and Dominic Tarason), so it was a nice surprise to see you active here around that time! I think you had a Zoidberg avatar back then…?

Glad to have you @Bumhead! :)