Social media controls the world

Meet TikTok, you old fogeys.

Your grandkids’ bestest friend.

You’re the hero society needs right now, not the hero it deserves.

No, we deserve him. Boy do we deserve him. :)

Been on tiktok for months. It is the new Vine, but more memey.

Also, they didn’t have an age gate? Fucking jesus.

It’s the new Vine, but significantly less funny and with about a thousand times more copyright infringement. The only surprise about the fine is that it’s for breaking child privacy laws.

It used to be Musica.ly. It’s totally built on the under 13 set; that was it’s main value prop against all the other video sharing services.

He totally means it this time, everybody!

YouTube’s reaction to pedo comments are impacting “family vloggers” I guess.

"We built this relationship with our subscribers, you know,” Danielle told The Verge in a phone call. “We just picked up a bunch of mail from our P.O. box, gifts that people send us, cards, and all kinds of stuff … it really feels like people you know.”

“If we don’t have comments, we’re no different from the TV,” Chapman said. “And it’s so important that we’re different from the TV because that’s why people like us. Anyone can talk to their favorite YouTuber. But if you take that away, if you take away that connection between the creator and the viewer, than we’re just making short films — and nobody watches short films.”

Part of me (a small part) thinks, yeah, that sucks. If YouTube demonetizes your livelihood, that’s going to hurt.

A much larger part of me is like, “Oh fuck off.”

This is totally me being a cranky old man, but my brain is screaming, “Get a real job”.

Sounds great!

https://i.imgur.com/c0J8trZ.jpg

I can count on one hand the number of times I felt like replying to a YT video.

Uh oh.

Invisibilia has a new season out, and episode 2 “Post, Shoot” seems relevant to this thread’s interests. They talk about how our online personas…social media, mostly…can sometimes overshadow what we do offline. It’s not an overwhelmingly common phenomenon (yet) but when it happens, the consequences can be serious. Like a teenager killed in response to his online “gangsta” posts, though that wasn’t his actual life. Or the police making arrests (of people of color, unsurprisingly) based on online presence. Recommended if you have an hour to listen.

It’s a scary episode, and it points out something which is in some ways so obvious it never gets said. A huge percentage of what people post about themselves on social media is literally just role-playing. People are creating some image they imagine about themselves, that often has little to nothing in common with their real life.

In this case it’s mostly meek teenagers acting hard and creating online gangs with pistols, weed, and wads of cash, and the disrespect which was created online between two made-up crews, made someone angry who had a real gun and decided to shoot the online tough-guy when they met the real life guy. The online image only has to be real for an instant to one person, and someone’s really dead. And that death then feeds the same online post-fact gang war.

If you woke up in the morning and say, “I’m going down to 42nd street and commit a mortal sin!” Save your cab fare; you did it, man! – George Carlin

How to get regulated 101.

So Devin Nunes is suing Twitter over false content and users. That kinda swings both ways don’t it. :)

Following just a handful of these accounts can quickly send users spiraling down a path toward even more extremist views and conspiracies, guided by Instagram’s own recommendation algorithm. On March 17, I clicked Follow on @the_typical_liberal. My account lit up with follow requests from pages with handles alluding to QAnon, and the app immediately prompted me to follow far-right figures such as Milo Yiannopoulos, Laura Loomer, Alex Jones, and Candace Owens, as well as a slew of far-right meme pages such as @unclesamsmisguidedchildren and @the.new.federation. Following these pages resulted in suggestions for pages dedicated to promoting QAnon, chemtrails, Pizzagate, and anti-vaccination rhetoric.