Social media controls the world

I know Twitter is not government, and the first amendment doesn’t apply. Twitter is entirely within their rights to enforce their terms on their platform. I think this is probably a positive change. I’ve never encountered Loli material on Twitter, and I have no idea how much it’s used for that, but I have a general impression that very little of value will be lost from this change of policy.

However, I’m going to post Gaiman’s “icky speech” blog post anyways.

Because giving your bank account information to Facebook would be totally awesome and carry no risk at all.

I’m offering a solution against illegal activity, abuse and harassment, not data theft.

My son today was laughing his ass off at a Peppa Pig video on YouTube. I took a look and it was Trumps head pasted on to Peppa Pigs body, with Pence on George, and they were building a wall to keep all the brown animals out.

So now I’m explaining to my son why he can’t watch YouTube anymore and why I deleted the app. I’m also explaining about people in the world that want to hurt or kill people that aren’t white like us. My son is 6.

Hey guys, i saved Twitter.

Muchas gracias!

Meet TikTok, you old fogeys.

Your grandkids’ bestest friend.

You’re the hero society needs right now, not the hero it deserves.

No, we deserve him. Boy do we deserve him. :)

Been on tiktok for months. It is the new Vine, but more memey.

Also, they didn’t have an age gate? Fucking jesus.

It’s the new Vine, but significantly less funny and with about a thousand times more copyright infringement. The only surprise about the fine is that it’s for breaking child privacy laws.

It used to be Musica.ly. It’s totally built on the under 13 set; that was it’s main value prop against all the other video sharing services.

He totally means it this time, everybody!

YouTube’s reaction to pedo comments are impacting “family vloggers” I guess.

"We built this relationship with our subscribers, you know,” Danielle told The Verge in a phone call. “We just picked up a bunch of mail from our P.O. box, gifts that people send us, cards, and all kinds of stuff … it really feels like people you know.”

“If we don’t have comments, we’re no different from the TV,” Chapman said. “And it’s so important that we’re different from the TV because that’s why people like us. Anyone can talk to their favorite YouTuber. But if you take that away, if you take away that connection between the creator and the viewer, than we’re just making short films — and nobody watches short films.”

Part of me (a small part) thinks, yeah, that sucks. If YouTube demonetizes your livelihood, that’s going to hurt.

A much larger part of me is like, “Oh fuck off.”

This is totally me being a cranky old man, but my brain is screaming, “Get a real job”.

Sounds great!

I can count on one hand the number of times I felt like replying to a YT video.

Uh oh.

Invisibilia has a new season out, and episode 2 “Post, Shoot” seems relevant to this thread’s interests. They talk about how our online personas…social media, mostly…can sometimes overshadow what we do offline. It’s not an overwhelmingly common phenomenon (yet) but when it happens, the consequences can be serious. Like a teenager killed in response to his online “gangsta” posts, though that wasn’t his actual life. Or the police making arrests (of people of color, unsurprisingly) based on online presence. Recommended if you have an hour to listen.