Solasta: Crown of the Magister (Turn-Based Fifth Ed.)

They obviously don’t compare well to BGIII. But this was a kickstarted game with a vastly smaller budget.

1. For my Paladin this comes from the “Protection Fighting Style”. Maybe this is something that comes with the deity for the Cleric?
  2. It’s in 5e.
  3. Attacks of opportunity are reactions. If you have the spell Shield prepared you can cast it as a reaction to an attack. Those are the ones I’ve seen so far.
  4. Not by default. There is a rogue subclass that gives this, though.

thanks! very helpful.

1. I am using the pre-built cleric, I will check what her deity does.
  2. My wizard can prepare cantrips as a reaction. i will
    see what my cleric can prepare.
  3. now i want to go back to the character generator.

As a kickstarter backer of the game i dont expect AAA graphics. and i am quite pleasantly surprised by
how much I like the graphics in game. I do hope they move beyond cringe-worthy by release.

If a character has the ability to see in the dark does light still play a part in combat? I am wondering if you have a party of characters that can all see in the dark if you need light spells or torches etc.

Dark vision may have a range limit in which case it will have an effect. It’s 60 feet in PnP 5e.

Just finished the EA content. Overall I quite liked it once I got used to the quirks like the rules for lighting. I started using reaction attacks quite a bit, and enjoyed that, but I don’t really understand how it works. When is a ranged-attack reaction triggered- is it the firs time the enemy moves and is in range and in line of sight? Also a spoiler question: did the game ever explain why someone had to wear that thing instead of carrying it?

The first time would be your first opportunity. If you decline the first time, presumably you will have another opportunity if the trigger happens again.

I’ve put in about 15 hours now, but my first play through bogged down in the maze. I have it solved, but hit a bug where every attempt to interact with an object in the environment has a ten second lag to it. Saves and camping were both broken in the area too, so I started a second game with different characters to experience the different classes.

I get asked to accept/reject attacks of opportunity caused by people moving through my threat zone, but when I “prepare” a ranged attack as my attack action, it goes off w/o asking me if I’d like to wait.
Too bad you were hit by that bug in the maze! I couldnt save in the courtyard but there retreating out of the zone to the world map fixed the problem and I was able to continue.
I just started to fool around with the character generator and I noticed that the pre-built characters can get much higher ability scores than allowed by the point buy, e.g. the halfling rogue has 21 dex and no score under 9, while rolling my own I cant go over 17. What’s the story there?

Oh, yeah. For prepared actions it’s just the first opportunity. I find this more useful for melee attacks.

Nice touch!

They are not playing around. Each entry you can set its own dice style.

Shit that’s cool af

Some backgrounds give you bonuses - did you try messing around a bit with that? Also, are you sure you CANT roll over 17, or did you just not roll over 17?

sorry i meant making my own with point buy not rolling. i imagine a natural 18 could get you to 20; still dont see a way to get to 21 that way. but thete is also a free edit mode that lets you spend more than 20 points and
also push minimums lower, using that i can replicate the scores of the pre built characters.

This looks quite good. Really enjoying following the discussion. I’ve got a massive backlog and tend to avoid early access, but I’ve added this to my wishlist. :)

I bought it to support them but haven’t made it much past the character creator screen since I am in no rush to play the content. I created my first party I call “Three Feet under” compromised of a couple Dwarves and Halflings and ran them around for the solo intro/Tavern stuff and stopped. I really like what I am seeing thus far and need to hide it away until it get’s more content complete. Way less amateurish jank than I expected.

Big update to the Early Access build adds new areas and all sorts of other content and changes/fixes to the experience. This is a fantastic game, and this video has reminded me how much I enjoyed the toe-dip I put into it so far. Very excited for this one!

Ooh, is this a game where character creation can benefit from 10s or 100s of rerolls to get better stats? Because I am absolutely into that. No really. I must have a genetic polymorphism that activates to compel me when “one more roll” just might result in awesome stats. Spending an hour rolling for better stats, along with a coffee and some music . . . is time I consider wasted well!

This just made me want to play Final Fantasy Tactics again. Those 1x1 aqueducts and scaffolding, yea!

That looks like a great update @Scotch_Lufkin, thx for linking it. Definitely want to get this one when it’s a bit more baked.

Were you a big fan of Wizardry 1-8? I would spend hours trying to get a Lord or Ninja or 18+ ability points in the beginning.

This game looks right up my alley. Hopefully it can leave EA in a timely manner.

Oh this is so me. I have spent entire evenings rolling up parties for games with this feature. The best is when your in that hypnotic zone where only 3 x 18’s will snap you outta it. Click…click…click…click.

Wizardry 2 got me hooked on this when I was like 10. First time I played with some friends we split up the character slots and I rolled a ninja on the first try. They went bonkers and I was like whats the big deal. HAHA hooked ever since.