[Solium Infernum] Sin to Win

You see? That’s the issue. As this is my first ever SI game (MP and SP), I have no idea what his choices are when claiming vendetta against me. If it’s even an allowed vendetta victory condition, I’m assuming he’s going after my Stronghold and sole Legion, which are both very weak. Oh, and our Strongholds are a mere 4 cantons from each other, and 2 of the 6 cantons adjacent to my Stronghold are river cantons.

I chose not to concede to his demands, because he wanted 4 tribute cards. Apparently, my Avatar build is worthless, since I haven’t been able to accomplish a single thing with it.

I’ll go into what I see as the strategic situation vis-a-vis the two of us, Mysterio, but if you turn around and win because of my post, I’ll laugh at myself very sardonically.

First: You don’t quite seem to realize it, but your position prevents anyone from successfully seeking enough successful vendettas against you for a long time. Yes, I’ll be able to claim vendetta, kill your legion, and gain some Prestige off that, but after that, I can’t take your Stronghold, and I can’t even succeed in a Vendetta unless you set it up such that I can, so there is zero chance I can call Blood Feud.

For the record, the options in vendettas are: Single Combat of Champions (eg Praetors), Capture X Cantons, Destroy X Legions, Capture X Places of Power. Succeeding in a Single Combat vendetta does not count as one of the three you must do before you may claim Blood Feud.

Second: Four tribute cards is an annoyance early game, but it’s far from a serious grievance, especially when my Legion would have had better things to do than hover around your base so I could keep demanding tribute from you. I thought I demanded only three, too.

Third: You can quite competently turtle for quite some time in SI, build up your attributes, harass other players with Rituals and by constructing Machines, and pull out a win.

Fourth: Combat cards could potentially allow you to take down a very strong legion with a much weaker one.

Fifth: Well, you could go Blood Vassal… I kid, I kid! Unless you have Kingmaker or Power Behind the Throne. Ahaha, wouldn’t that be a hilarious turnaround. No, seriously though, you’re far from out of the game at this point.

Thanks for the useful info! I see, now, that some of the info is in the manual and forgot what I had read. I also forgot that a Legion can advance into only a single enemy canton per turn. That’s correct, right? With your Move 2, I thought you’d be able to take two of my cantons per turn. But some things are still a bit fuzzy:

Could you explain this in detail? I don’t understand how my position (do you mean my physical position on the map?) affects ones ability to claim vendetta against me.

Under what circumstances can someone attack another’s Stronghold? Only when a Blood Feud exists?

Either when a Blood Feud exists or when the player in question has been Excommunicated (in which case, you might picture it as everyone having a Blood Feud against him).

To claim Blood Feud, you have to have three successful, non-Single Combat vendettas against the player, unless you have the Avatar trait that allows you to do it in 2.

Consider, Mysterio, the requirements for succeeding in a Vendetta. If I succeed in this one, it will have been by killing your one Legion, which is right next to your Stronghold and on my side of the river.

To claim one of your cantons, my Legion must end the turn on the canton and the canton must be adjacent to one of my cantons.

The game allows me to order my Legion to move onto my stronghold, but don’t the rules state a Legion can not end its turn on a Legion or PoP? What happens to my Legion after the turn processes if I order it to move onto my stronghold (my Legion has Move 1)?

I was more talking about any future Vendettas.

Well done sir Hell-man! But it shall not avail you long.

That’s not the only trick I have up my sleeves, steroid fiend. My time and yours are wasted with this silly vendetta of yours…

EDIT: I’m guessing it’s rare that a 2nd conclave token out of 15 is drawn by turn 5?

I thought conclave tokens were just drawn every N turns?

From the manual:

Conclave Tokens: At the end of each turn there is a chance that the game will draw a Conclave Token and present it before the Infernal Conclave. This process functions as a game clock. The number of Conclave Tokens that have already been drawn is displayed at the top left of the screen next to the mitre and sceptre symbol (you remember the User Interface Overview in the Appendix, right?). The more tokens that have been drawn, the greater the chance for a subsequent draw.
Also, I remember reading somewhere (probably on Qt3, posted by Vic) about the formula that’s used to determine whether or not a token is drawn. It’s definitely not every N turns.

I stand corrected!

You can also take someone out of the game if they are Miserable*, which is when they don’t own a single canton other than their stronghold. So… make sure you have some cantons at all times.

• or something like this

This is a follow-up to the email I sent Staff Sergeant on Saturday at 2 PM EST:

The game is currently stalled, since Staff Sergeant sent me the wrong turn. I’m still waiting to receive the correct turn from him before I can host the next turn.

Who’s the douche that played The Tyrant of Heaven event card? That won’t earn you much hate from us!

Yeah, that was annoying.

With Christmas right around the corner, I’ll be heading out of town Thursday morning and won’t be returning until the evening of New Years Day. Since I won’t have access to SI until then, I won’t be able to take my turn until I return. I hope everyone’s too busy to notice the lack of turns.

Still gives us time for one more turn before then! Maybe.

BTW, right before heading out the door for the airport, my girlfriend decided she wanted to bring the laptop. It’s too bad she didn’t tell me sooner, because I didn’t have any time to transfer the necessary SI files to it to host and submit turns for the games I’m in. :-(

I’ve been caught up with the Holidays, so haven’t been able to play my turn. Sorry if everyone has sent there turn (I think others are out as well) and I’m holding everyone up. I’ll get it in tomorrow.

Host is out till next decade.