Solo: A Star Wars Story: Young Han Plays It Safe (2018)

Wait what?

Kelly nails it on the Qt3 movie podcast this week. Take a listen to the first part if you don’t care about spoilers and you’ll get everything you need to know.

In the midst of his recap now. Hilarious.

Finished the recap. Wow, that sounds…wow…

Well, I just saw Solo. It was fine. Chewie was awesome, everything else was just kinda there.

Nowhere near as good as Rogue One, for me. But it’ll make Disney their millions and make it more likely we get more Star Wars, so it did the job.

Rogue One was really good, just rewatched it.

But didn’t you hear? It made less than TLJ, so everything is doooooommmmmeeeeddd.

(for my part I’ve already seen two movies in theaters this year, both Marvel, but am nominally more into Star Wars. I don’t plan on seeing this in theaters, mostly because a Solo backstory wasn’t really a thing I needed.)

Nope. That’s old hat now. It’s failing in the box office because it’s about a white guy and that’s so passé https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2018/05/29/as-solo-a-star-wars-story-flops-are-movies-about-white-men-box-office-poison/

That’s some nice click bait there.

How about someone who thinks Rogue One is terrible and Last Jedi is just as bad?

I mean, it didn’t just make less. It made so little that it might actually not pay for its budget. Star Wars movie. I doubt anyone would have expected that, ever.

It’s going to be rough for sure. Estimated budget of around $250 million. So far, the worldwide total box office is about $172 million. The common wisdom is you need to make about twice the budget in BO to make back your investment for a tentpole film. Asian market distribution deals can vary that figure, but almost never in a positive sense. It will probably make $500 million once you factor in home retail sales and co-marketing deals, but investors want to see the return in the initial theater run to be counted a success.

Seems like their dumb mistake for setting a budget roughly equivalent to The Force Awakens, which was a movie that for many reasons had significantly more moneymaking potential than this 4th in a line side story. I wonder to what extent the reshoots and replacement of the directors factored into that budget figure.

EDIT: I guess given the money made on the other three films, which were all over 1 billion, Disney didn’t care much about the budget.

Tough to say. The going estimate is that Ron Howard reshot about 80% of the movie. That’s not insignificant, but it would also be a mistake to say the budget increased by 80% from whatever Miller and Lord had to start. Production budgets don’t work like that.

Rogue One was about $216 million, but that also had extensive late-stage work done. Not as much as Solo had, but the rumors are that Tony Gilroy did quite a bit of work on the last 20 minutes of the film.

I don’t think Disney/Lucasfilm expects the Star Wars Story movies to make as much as the mainline flicks, so I’d say a reasonable starting budget for each would be about $200 million, with another $25 million cushion, expecting to make about $600-$750 million back.

As it turned out, Rogue One actually went beyond expectations and hit $1 billion thanks to a really strong foreign box office.

Donnie Yen is quite the draw, and for good reason.

We’ll see. For some reason having multiple Marvel films a year hasn’t hampered their enthusiasm, but having Solo only be 6 months later than TLJ feels like a mistake. And I’m speaking for myself here, it’s just too soon. It probably also helps that it has some real star power draws, in a way this film is completely absent of. Betting and Harrelson don’t put butts in seats the same way RDJ and Benedict Cucumber do.

But there have been missteps and lesser Marvel films, and yet we haven’t seen the same level of chicken little there.

Surprisingly, the second lowest initial run box office MCU movie was Captain America: The First Avenger with $370 million worldwide. It had a production budget of about $140 million. Crazy, right? That would be a total bomb by 2018 MCU standards, but it got a pass because it was considered a building block for the Avengers and a setup for further Captain America films.

The Incredible Hulk (2008) gets the lowest MCU BO spot with $263 worldwide. Obviously, there were lots of studio changes made afterwards.

I’m in that minority that is superhero fatigued but can’t quite put down Star Wars, just yet. I always planned to go see this in the theater, just not opening weekend. But sounds like I probably could have gotten tickets pretty easily. This weekend for sure.

I mean, why not? The reviews are not bad, largely being ‘it’s fine but inessential’. If I hadn’t just gone to Infinity War I’d probably have been working to go see it this week myself.

I guess I follow what you all mean when you say this but it’s not terribly meaningful to me, mainly because I can’t remember the last Star Wars movie I saw that felt like essential viewing. I guess as a kid I would have considered the original trilogy was, but I probably would have told you Buckaroo Banzai was pretty freaking important too.

Well… what does this movie do to drive the universe forward? Rogue One, despite being an immediate precursor to A New Hope, does actually add to the story. It colors in some new areas, gives flavor to the universe. Now does it add a ton? Not really, but this seems to be just taking events we know about and showing them.

This seems to be just putting the ‘Han Solo’s greatest hits’ on film. Backstory and events we know by proxy from the character’s dialogue. And having everything that makes Han Solo be Han Solo happen in a short span? That just irks me a bit. Getting the Falcon, becoming a smuggler, doing the Kessel Run, meeting Cherie and Lando in a single film? Bleh.

Again, I follow you, just not very meaningful to me. For me, Rogue One is the less essential of the two because not only do I already know how it turns out, it features characters I’ve never seen before and also, ha ha whoops, will never see again! Whereas Solo at least characters I already care about and am interested in, plus Woody Harrelson for some reason.