Some nice new PS3 shots

Man, I think the PS3 just looks awkward. I can’t really put my finger on exactly what it is – maybe it’s a combination of many different features – but it just doesn’t look like how I’d expect a game console to look.

Remember, it’s all part of the slow evolution towards the ultimate console:

It kind of looks like a tape player that eats tapes. I don’t like that edge at all. Why must they torments with awkward looking home electronics.

After the slick and widely praised and admired look of the PSP, you’d think they could take some cues from that design.

But then, I think every Playstation console has been fairly ugly.

Yeah, the original PS2 was just flat-out hideous. This is definitely a big improvement over that monstrosity.

Yes, that is the purpose of 2 HDMI outs, so that some games can support dual monitors if the developers get really bored. They actually showed this at E3.

Yes, that is the purpose of 2 HDMI outs, so that some games can support dual monitors if the developers get really bored. They actually showed this at E3.[/quote]
That sounds so incredibly ridiculously high-end - appealing to people who have not one but TWO HDTVs side by side - that I can only assume that (a) it costs virtually nothing to put in a second HDMI output or (b) Sony has been eating lead paint chips.

that I can only assume that (a) it costs virtually nothing to put in a second HDMI output or

I am going to assume its not unlike video card companies that have a VGA out and DVI out. I would think though that if push comes to shove and they need to lower costs that would be one of the next things to go.

That is ugly as hell.

Bah, developers aren’t going to have the bandwidth to render out at 1920x1080 in the first place, much less do it TWICE for two monitors at once!

I think Sony is including dual outputs because the graphics chip, which is basically just a 90nm G70 (GeForce 7800 GTX) with 128-bit memory controller, has two display output circuits built in. And because it’s more than 1.

It’s like this whole 1080p business. Gee, if you support my 1080p TV in 1080p mode, that’s great. But I know the games are going to be 1280x720 upscaled on the display output (just like they’re upscaled to 1080i on a 360). I don’t think it’s a big deal.

(note that I don’t have a 1080p HDTV. I have a new Sony 42" 720p HDTV, which according to Sony’s Phil Harrison isn’t “true” HD because “true” HD is 1080p which only the PS3 has. I want Phil Harrison to give me my money back for my “not true HD” Sony HDTV.)

I think they call it Wall Candy™

Agree. Especially the controller, no way that thing makes it to retail.

olaf

:D

I think Cathcart’s already budgeting for the second HDTV for his apartment.

–Dave

One to a router and one to daisy chain to other PS3s? IOW, no need for a hub, you’ve got a chain built in? That would explain 2, anyway.

One to a router and one to daisy chain to other PS3s? IOW, no need for a hub, you’ve got a chain built in? That would explain 2, anyway.[/quote]

Yeah, but if you have two PS3s daisy-chained by cat 5 then you have to have the wallspace for 4 1080p HD sets all in one space, and who has that type of wall space? :P

A virtual Napoleon Dynamite head?

“I’m not backwards compatible you frickin’ idiot! All those old games are stupid anyways! GOSH!”

Didn’t expect you to be a Napoleon Dynamite fan.

Well, WiFi built-in is a big selling point with me. I love the way the DS works. It sounds like the PS3 will be able to access my wireless router without having to buy anything extra for it. That saves me $99 over the 360.

Why’s that, Liz?

I think he’s saying that you’re a big fuddy-duddy, Bill. Are you going to take that kind of trash talk from Jose Liz? We all know where he lives…