Sony REALLY needs a new marketing company

What? I was being facetious. Well, sort of. I am Greek-American (not first generation, though) and have been to events where a whole animal (usually a lamb or a goat, occasionally a pig) was roasted on a spit. I haven’t eaten goat brain, though my father has eaten lamb brain. Basically, Greece was a very poor country and when a family slaughtered an animal it ALL got eaten if the least bit edible, even the parts wealthy people and nations wouldn’t eat.

As for the animal itself, what of it? I’d admit slaughtering a goat for a publicity event would have been an bad tastes, but they just purchased a dead goat from a butcher. The only difference between what Sony did and serving their guests steaks from the animal’s point of view is the guests went home hungry.

Yea, but when you go to the supermarket, you don’t put your arm inside a freshly slain cow to scoop out its innards to eat on the spot.

This is seriously appaling and disgusting. Sony has become the bottom feeding scatfish of the digital world. I’m so put off by Sony’s antics of the last year, I won’t buy any of their electronics products periods. I really can’t do it. I don’t want to support a company like this.

Guests at the event were even invited to reach inside the goat’s still-warm carcass to eat offal from its stomach.

Jesus Christ on rubber crutches, this is just… fucking wrong. I can see this at a launch party for the new Cradle of Filth CD, but for a video game?

He said Sony’s UK office had been shocked to see the report in the official PlayStation magazine, which the company licenses to publishing house Future. Sony is this weekend recalling the entire 80,000 print run of the magazine.

Great, you had had some stupid PR idea that you were "shocked" to see your magazine cover, and you respond by recalling the issue?
I feel bad for the poor guys at the PS mag, so much for journalistic integrity.

Seeing Sony and their stupid ads for the PS3 and PSP and the reaction of Sony UK to this Stupid PR stunt, I’m getting an idea that all ad campaigns were contracted out to some firm and Sony just Totally ignores what they do. “Ok guys, go make ads. What? Your ads make no sense or are stirring up controversy (see black/white PSP ad)? Shrug

It’s like Microsoft contracting all it Xbox 360 ads to some advertising firm called “Macho-Man Buttsex Advertising” and being surprised with an ad with the Goatse picture and the tag line “This is your ass on X360”.

Never underestimate the stupidity of marketing.

Sincerely,
Marketing

I can’t believe some people here are just shrugging. Seriously, it was a really stupid choice.

I’m a little bit in the shrug camp. It was tasteless and stupid but I can’t see getting too worked up over it.

I’m in the shrug camp, but only because I’ve come to expect this from Sony UK. This is the company that signed off on the “White is coming” campaign and put up posters at train platforms reading “TAKE A RUNNING JUMP FROM HERE.” Even their “straight” ads are pretty damn fucked up.

Its an absolutely insane idea - someone needs firing immediately.

Personally, the goat carcass doesn’t bother me. I eat meat and I am well aware where it comes from. So long as the animal was handled humanely and did not suffer, I personally don’t have an issue with it.

But it is quite easy to see and predict that multitudes of people will be highly, highly disturbed by this PR stunt. Including batshit insane people like PETA.

It’s just stupid all over, unless they wanted to create a controversy.

I am in the thick of God of War 2 (in the middle of some temple)… and I don’t even remember seeing any goats in the game. Is this a spoiler or something?

I actually thought this one was pretty fucking awesome. It’s too bad it was never aired. And that David Lynch ad was great too.

I think all those ads are good (maybe not the last one) and I sorta wish SCEA used them instead of the generic stuff they generally stuck with during the PS2 era. But they’re all fairly outré so when Sony UK pulls something like this it’s not terribly shocking.

(Trivia: the original version of the first ad used a remix of “Lady in Red” but they couldn’t clear it.)

I think all those ads are good (the second and fourth ones aren’t masterpieces but they work in a sort of “glance up at the TV for half a second and wonder what the hell you’re looking at” way). I sorta wish SCEA used them instead of the generic stuff they generally stuck with during the PS2 era. But they’re all fairly outré and they seem to be the rule rather than the exception, so when Sony UK pulls a stunt like this this it’s not terribly shocking.

(Pointless trivia: the original version of the first ad used a remix of “Lady in Red” but they couldn’t clear it. That probably worked out for the best.)

Guests at the event were even invited to reach inside the goat’s still-warm carcass to eat offal from its stomach.

Jesus Christ on rubber crutches, this is just… fucking wrong. I can see this at a launch party for the new Cradle of Filth CD, but for a video game?

He said Sony’s UK office had been shocked to see the report in the official PlayStation magazine, which the company licenses to publishing house Future. Sony is this weekend recalling the entire 80,000 print run of the magazine.

Great, you had had some stupid PR idea that you were "shocked" to see your magazine cover, and you respond by recalling the issue?
I feel bad for the poor guys at the PS mag, so much for journalistic integrity.

Seeing Sony and their stupid ads for the PS3 and PSP and the reaction of Sony UK to this Stupid PR stunt, I’m getting an idea that all ad campaigns were contracted out to some firm and Sony just Totally ignores what they do. “Ok guys, go make ads. What? Your ads make no sense or are stirring up controversy (see black/white PSP ad)? Shrug

It’s like Microsoft contracting all it Xbox 360 ads to some advertising firm called “Macho-Man Buttsex Advertising” and being surprised with an ad with the Goatse picture and the tag line “This is you ass on X360”.

Woah! Sorry all, I just hit the back button on my mouse a few times… didn’t mean to re-post. Sorry!

Well, the idea was to re-create a Greek ritual I’d assume.

What’s next on the plate? For the next GTA are they going to dress a dead pig up in a cop uniform and have a black guy shoot it with a handgun?

I don’t really see this as being offensive for being animal cruelty. It’s just remarkably tasteless. Akin to if they dropped some PS3’s into a used porta-potty and then had fans dive in to win them.

Hrm… there’s two Sony-style ideas right there. Maybe they should hire me to think this shit up.

Sure, and most of the advertising on TV is crap too, but I don’t get into a frenzy over that.

Seriously, what is there to get worked up over? Stupid PR stunt is a bit crap. Oh wow.

Yeah - plenty of past evidence to back up stupidity as the simplest explanation :-)

Sony? Hello Sony? Just What The Fuck Is Wrong With You?

OMG all these years I thought offal is shit. Thanks to Sony, I bothered to look it up. +1 to english skill.

I am not getting worked up over it, but in context with Sony’s other marketing moves lately this is just the icing on the cake. I’d also say you are in the minority in terms of reaction. Show this to the general public and the negative reaction for Sony and gaming in general would far outweigh any publicity they get.