Space Game General All-Platform Thready Discussy Thing :)

Wow, they took out a Borg Cube?!?!?

They must have targeted the non-essential systems.

(Thank you Star Trek: First Contact, for that insight).

Picard’s secret chest of knowledge. ;)

Oh yes, quite, Alien Legacy especially.

What about the Star Control game in the works? Or do you think that’s a bit more story-driven with a fixed universe?

He said an old game. ;)

Also right now we know damned little about the upcoming Star Control reboot.

I meant in relation to what DeepT said, but I suppose you answered anyway.

Combat is going to be damned important for the Star Control reboot.

Honestly, even though the balance for the ships was off in Star Control 3, even that game at least made good on providing a good combat engine for the game. It’s just that the new quadrant’s ships just weren’t very well balanced. That’s not ideal, but it’s better than the reverse (messing up the combat engine but having balanced ships).

I should get to making my space game. It seems there are a few interested people here. ;)

Get going on that, rhamorim. I agree with Teiman: I’d like a space game that focuses on exploration, housing, lore. I don’t need combat at all.

That said, those videos from STO make me want to fire that game up again.

My point is: Space is a cool setting, it would be wasteful to only use it for combat. Combat is awesome, but is not the only thing.

Recommendations for a space/trader/mercenary thing? It’s for laptop play, so needs to be not too demanding in terms of hardware. Probably something top-down for easy mouse control?

Is Space Rangers 2 still the go-to for this?

I’ve gone through Brian’s very extensive curator list, but nothing jumping out at me (but ton of stuff there so probably am just not clicking on the right games).

I know there was a 2d game that was intentionally an X-like a couple of years ago, but my google-fu is coming up wanting.

Unending Galaxy!

You should also give these a look see:

Astrox is a steal at its current price.

I really have to build a new PC machine (my current one is too old and I hate to start it because make a lot of noise) because these looks really nice. Thanks Brian!

Those should run fine on a toaster, mate, so you should be golden. Lots of joyful hours with any of these.

Alien Legacy, that’s the one!

For a game that’s all about mining, the mining in Astrox doesn’t look fun or interesting. Visually it’s rather unsatisfying. That and the fact that the ships just stop on a dime make it unappealing to me. Considering mining is at the top of the list for things I want in a space game…

Oh trust me, it’s fun. I love mining.

Huzzah!

Thanks, Brian. I’ll dive in with one or more of those.

Yay, enjoy!