Space Game General All-Platform Thready Discussy Thing :)

We need the super expert on space games to occasionally say “Helium Rain” is great and “Star Rangers super XD” is wonderful and Freespace 2 is still the very best space combat ever. I still recall the last mission in that game after tons of retries …. (and it’s a spoiler)

In other words: (and I can’t speak for any others) but : We miss you! And it is YOUR thread!

K, brevity, got it.

Elite dangerous isn’t nearly as bad as some people will have you believe. In lieu of a HOTAS set, an xbox’s controller will do nicely.

Nah, it’s early game is great, it’s when you get a lot of money and realize “What more can I do with all this?” That you hit a wall.

Because that’s when you’re done and you either start over or play something else.

I’ve actually been tempted to reset my character. The early game was the most fun.

Its how i played frontier elite 2. Never made elite in that. In fact I cared so little about my rating I have no idea how far I ever got in that game. In this one I am gunning for combat elite, when I’m done with that I sure as shit am gonna reset, not thinking twice about that. Actually looking forward to it really.

Oh god yeah I reset in Frontier like a million times.

I’ll have to make sure that resetting doesn’t impact the new squadron at all.

That’s pathological, man.

(Goes back to endlessly using SETA to make my transports run their supply route faster, so I can set them up to do it again)

For me, being amenable to space games when the mood strikes but not invested in following them, it’s more about focus than brevity. I tend to glaze over the weekly roundup posts with five videos of different games and 20 news tidbits, but when you show up and say something to the effect of “Out of the dozens of space games I’ve played in the last couple of months, this one stood out and blew me away, and here’s why”, I sit up and take notice. Basically, a filter to point out the absolute best of the best among space games.

That’s not to say that you should invest any particular effort in doing what I want, though! I mostly ignore videos and podcasts, and you’re probably better off catering to social media audience members. But you asked, so…

i.e. just talk about Freespace 2.

OH CAN WE PLEASE?!

If one new space game blew me away in the past few months, it was ADIOS Amigos, followed by Starcom Nexus.

Thanks!

Just to chime in with @Thraeg, I really only watch videos if I’m seriously interested in a game. I far prefer reading a couple of paragraphs when I’m vaguely interested. When you switched from write-ups to videos, I basically tuned out. Do what’s best for your brand, obviously, but I miss the articles.

I’d definitely be interested in a once a month or once a quarter “best of the best” post. I’d even (grudgingly) understand if it wasn’t FreeSpace 2 every time…

If it helps, I do a bit of both now. I make vids and then write blurbs on them on the blog.

But yeah, sorry you feel that way, but videos are so much better for me from a content-generation perspective.

I do like the idea of the monthly round-up article though. I’ll try that in January.

Oh, I get it. I’m just waving my cane at the damned kids on my lawn.

Blurbs help; I’ll take a look!

Yeah, like this

Though I do write a blurb for each video as well.

Brian, if there was one thing I would like to see it is a bit more of a description in the title to your videos. I am not sure if the video is focused on showing how to play the game, or if it is a Let’s Play streaming video showing a story and your adventure through the game. You often do both and I am usually more interested in the Let’s Play style than the instructional style, though I do look for the instructional ones sometimes.

Sadly titles have character limits, so I can only put so much in there.

And I’m just mostly trying to share my journey through a game to entertain and hopefully inform the viewer as to whether they want to buy it or not, or to share in nostalgia.