Space Game General All-Platform Thready Discussy Thing :)

The steam trailer makes it seem a bit barebones. So you run a taxi, pick up people and drop them off elsewhere. Is the gameplay economic?

My intent was not to give offence. When I saw you say that this is your most anticipated game, then I looked at the brief video provided on the Steam page, I got curious. Tell us why you are so excited about this, if you would please.

Honestly, that game looks quite fun! (and cheap!)
Pixel graphics, but it looks great for exploring/sandboxing if that’s your style

Okay so I’ve always loved space games with taxi missions. Can’t even explain why, I just imagine if I owned a spaceship, taxi jobs are something I’d wanna do, really.

This is a fun, and funny, space taxi-focused game in a massive universe with a story to follow, or not, and tons of locations. Like, thousands of populated planets, all waiting to be explored. You can upgrade your cab, buy personal weapons for yourself, and make your way across the universe. It’s just SO enticing for someone like me who wants an open universe, but also some focus as well. This gives me ALL of that. I just love it so much.

So, in other words, BIYF.

Well, yes. Absolutely. A massive open world game like this for $8 is a steal.

This RPS article (two years old) has some more description of what’s going on in the game. Seems like at its base it is a point and fly to get from point A to point B, but there are a lot of colorful life of a taxi driver details in the way of intermediate stops for things like asking for directions and going through customs. Also from looking at the latest patch notes, there is some notion of dungeons.

Sounds like it could be a fun 2D Euro-space trucker taxi driver exploration sim.

Side note, someone IS making Euro Truck Sim in space!!!

SO EXCITED.

And Taxinaut doesn’t have any business elements to it, you’re just a driver making money, which is all I want, but yeah, you gotta ask for directions, be prepared for where you’re going and so on. IT IS A DELIGHT.

So I’ve got a fairly sluggish laptop. AMD Ryzen 5, 8GB, platter HD, so it can be really slow.

Taxinaut runs like a champ on it.

Gosh I love this game.

Thanks for mentioning this game! I think I’ll wait until it’s out of early access, but I’ll keep it on a Steam list until then!

It’s out of early access, I’m fairly sure, no? I thought it finally hit 1.0 if I understood right during the SGJ Podcast the other day.

Taxinaut? Oh nonoon it finally just moved from Itch to Steam. It’ll be in early access for a little while longer.

I will say that for a game about being a taxi driver it’s weirdly difficult to find fares.

I can’t imagine future taxis randomly driving around an entire planet trying to find someone with their hand in the air. Don’t you guys have space phones?

It’s not THAT bad, you’re flying around for a minute or two at most. Also some bars and hotels have people looking for rides if you talk to the proprietor and look for “job” in the list. While you’re looking for fares, fly over every building so they get added to your location list.

I legit just went an entire day cycle without finding a fare.

Created a thread:

That sounds like a bug. I’ll let the dev know.

If it’s not a bug then the dude needs to add a pity timer and make fares appear right in front of you if it has been too long.

Next morning I found a fare pretty early, but it was for somewhere I didn’t know and the passenger didn’t know where it was either.

Was it on the same planet? If so you can stop at places and ask around. Someone will know where it is.

If it’s on a different planet in the same system, don’t take it unless you have an anti-graviton charge, so you can get off a planet that might not have a spaceport, or if its at a space station. Otherwise dump the fare and find another one.

If its on another planet in another system, avoid entirely for now.

Just saw this game Cosmoteer, where it looks like you build ships and send them into battle with automated crew members running around operating your ship.

It just launched into early access but appears to have been developed for several years as a free game. According to the Steam page, it seems to be fairly popular. Overwhelmingly Positive with 799 reviews, and there are already 100k+ owners with lots of people playing.

Anyone try this out recently? Brian?

It was a free game for a while and I played it ages ago and really enjoyed it. It’ll be a spell before I get to this new version but so far all I’m hearing is good things.