Space Rangers 2: Reboot

In regards to furnishing I believe they’re referring to one of the new features of Reboot which is to save a variety of ship configurations so you can quickly swap between them.

Ya I have the manual for space rangers 2, I was talking about the expansion not having any documentation at all about what it changed.

An example of one change is that you can offer to improve a space station for a fee, and give it better weapons and crap out of your cargo hold.

Space Rangers 2 is great but… two things.

First is that you can’t really be a pirate until around the middle of the game. I guess this is the sort of hardcore pseudo-realism Russian developers like. Nothing like in Oblivion where you can massacre, murder, steal everything movable, and then, if caught, just pay some money and appear in front of the jail. Fighting other ships is difficult, and even freighters have defenses, and the AI ships are also upgrading themselves during the game. Also, along with all the other faction specific negatives, you start getting groups of ships against you later on. But the biggest problem is that piracy is just generally not very profitable - it’s almost always better to extort a small amount of cash, or get them to dump their cargo, then to fight them to the death, considering your maintenance costs. And it’s hard to stop them from landing before you can finish them off (you have to find a nadir point and camp out a bit).

The other much less arbitrary problem are those darn text missions. For what they are in that old school way, they’re great. But damn if you have to spend 30 minutes just to get out of jail, and not die or lose half your savings. In Mother Russia, do not go to jail. And do not call someone a goat. That’s a stabbin’. Poor lil’ racing roach never knew what hit him.

At some point you’ll see a message that a new ship has been built someplace, and fly there and ask for the unique ship. Save first, cause I crash to desktop when I ask for it.

All this talk made me go and try to go buy it off TotalGaming, but I was rejected. I guess they don’t ship their bits to Canada.

Hmmm, I had no trouble buying SR2:Reboot. I used tokens though, if that might make a difference.

I have no tokens, and there was a message that they don’t sell tokens anymore. But it would seem odd to allow it one way and not another. Maybe I’ll try asking support.

I tried again in IE and was able to download it. Yay! Next question, is there a backup mechanism or will it work to just burn the contents of the program folder onto a DVD? I don’t really want to have to re-download 1.3GB every time I wipe my computer, nor do I trust any company to support me forever.

There is a built-in backup feature (the ‘archive’ option in the client), but it doesn’t seem to work for Reboot right now. A small bug that they’ll eventually get around to fixing, probably (I also can’t archive Disciples 2, though it works for GalCiv2 and the original SR2).

If I wanted to buy SR2: Reboot, where would be the easiest place to get it? If I buy it through Stardock, do I need to have the full version of SR2 previously installed for it to work? I bought the original a few years ago on Direct2Drive, but I’ll be damned if I can remember my username/password there. I wouldn’t object to buying it again if there was an option somewhere to get the core game and the expansion as a bundle.

Also, Starforce = no sale, so I’ll only consider sources that sell the Starforce-free version.

[Edit]
Actually, I just remembered my D2D account info. If I redownload the core game from there, can I buy the Reboot expansion from Stardock and have the two of them play nice together?

The Impulse/Stardock store has “Space Rangers 2 complete” which I assume is the game+reboot bundled, but isn’t written very clearly to reflect that. Dunno if just the expansion will work with non-Stardock sourced installs, though.

The Stardock version is Starforce-free, even if the names match on a Star* regexp. I like to think that’s why they renamed to Impulse.

Yes complete is SR2 with the expansion.

Also it works flawlessly and I would highly recommend buying that version.

Ok, found it here: https://store.stardock.com/product.aspx?productid=ESD-TGN-W295

Thanks! :)

That’s what I got too, because my version was Starforced and even with the crack I’d rather just buy a new clean copy. They didn’t ever advertise it, but once you click on Reboot there was the option to get the complete version.

So if you haven’t played SR2, do you start with SR2 and then go to Reboot, or just start with Reboot? Is Reboot a superset of SR2, or different missions/campaign/etc. so you should play both?

It just improves SR2. Tho if you want you can just try out the text missions or the rts missions from the main menu.

I have the original import (UK) DVD release that I bought at Fry’s, I think. As soon as they had a good no-CD crack at GCW, I applied it and removed the Starforce it came with.

My questions–if I buy the digitally-distributed expansion from Stardock, will I have to use the original .exe (the uncracked one) and will the expansion pack then modify the .exe and remove Starforce? Anyone here have a similar situation?

Yup, I have the UK DVD too. I plan on simply buying the Complete version soon, looks like the only away around this mess. I don’t mind buying the game twice, really. The developers certainly deserve it. :)

The developers no longer work for that company.

As a clarification: Manual.exe does not cover any of the additional features offered by the Reboot expansion, in particular the buttons to which the original poster was referring.