Spellforce: Conquest of Eo is like Age of Wonders and Thea made a baby

IIRC Planetfall has async multiplayer, and I am confident the new game will as well, so potentially something of interest for you.

There is a strong rumour that there are systems in place to keep the total number of units in a fight down to a more manageable number.

No idea if true ;).

cool! what spell is that and what school? I have researched 27 spells but I haven’t seen that one.
Also, do you or anyone else know what the main quest path is? My grimoire tells me to the "appease the circle mages by doing 3 of the following things, eg 5 apprentices,42 spells researched,etc. But I don’t see a “crown” quest on the map so I’m not sure if I’m doing the right thing. At present I have 3 of my stacks trying to take the the purity knights…

Reading about it made me think of a fantasy nomadic or demonic horde type faction that would strip resources from an area and then move onto another area.

Make them more Tyranidy if they just consume everything in an area and turn into biomass, which then is used for unit creation and upgrades. Would be quite the unique playstyle.

That would be great. I don’t like really big battles either.

I like allied armies able to join battles but yeah, I have to agree that I didn’t care much for how big they grew. The 18v18 (or whatever it ended up maxing out at) fights were a bit much when you’re having multiples of them.

Certainly I did note the stack size is much lower than it has been in the past - I think it was just 5 units in the video presentation they showed (AoW4) while it’s historically been I think 8 (?).

Six, IIRC.

Yeah, that’s right - it was 5 units and a hero - which could mean 6 normal units and a hero just gets a larger unit card, or it could be a hero-only slot, now I think of it.

A THQ moderator on the Steam forum said "Yes, these are the victory conditions on the circle page, of which you must achieve at least 3 to trigger the final. "
To have 5 apprentices needs 100 mastery, and the spells are coming slower and slower, but those seem like the 2 I’d get done first. then maybe a hero to level 15? but this means many hours to go

That makes sense. I’m still focusing on the other, smaller objectives as each one has unlocked an incredibly key mechanic so far. I should have been focused on them much sooner for sure.

Nah, it’s six of any unit.

Getting back to Eo, one of the things I really like is that tier 1 units are still quite useful deep into the game. My most powerful unit (outside heroes/apprentices) is my lowly tier 1 starting goblin archer. He’s level 12 and is just shredding things due to all the perks, glyphs and enchantments he has. The lesser spider web glyph he has which roots units for 2 turns is incredibly useful to take the most powerful enemy melee unit out of the fight. With my apprentice summoning 2 demons per battle and the web root, a 6 vs. 6 battle suddenly becomes 8 vs. 5. I really like artificer, it’s so useful.

Lost a level 5 tier 1 follower unit last night. Damn it. :)

Does anyone have a feel for replayability yet? Is it a one-and-done kind of campaign, or are the random elements to it enough to warrant multiple playthroughs and approaches?

I think the 3 main schools play differently enough that ordinarily I’d look forward to replaying, but I’m worried about the game length.

I think what’s there right now is able to sustain multiple playthroughs. First of all, you have the three different mage types you can use(Alchemist, Artificer, Necromancer) which pretty significantly change up what you’re doing and different magic types you’ll focus on. Especially the necromancer from what I know about that. Then you have the fact that the map is very large. After 15 hours I’ve not found any edges yet and the zoomed out view makes it look like I’ve barely made a dent, although I don’t know if the map matches up with that exactly since I’ve not found an edge yet! That’ll also change what cities you build reputation with and with that what units you can hire and what buildings you get access to.

There also is that custom mage option, though I haven’t peeked to see what is allowed there.

Great, if that’s true I’ll certainly pick it up.

I certainly hope this is true too. Whatever they can do to make the battles more snappy(or less frequent) would really really boost the appeal of the AoW series to me. The length of battles in Conquest of Eo are pretty much perfect to the point that I generally don’t mind turns where I have multiple battles to fight manually.

I’ve had the predicted results be way off a couple times. I’m wondering if it doesn’t factor in things like the ability of the occultist to summon a demon. That battle it was showing as a close defeat or pyrrhic victory, and ended with a heroic victory.