Spelunky 2 - Bring Your Daughter to Work day

I’m really curious about how this will turn out. The roguelite genre has moved on so far from the game that originally launched it, and most of the original roguelites were happy accidents by creators who didn’t fully understand what made them tick (see Binding of Isaac). I’m still not sure how much Derek understands his own game – Spelunky Enhanced’s changes from Spelunky classic didn’t exactly give me confidence that he did.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeee!

I need this game.

Every time I see this thread get bumped, I hope it is finally time. Alas…

I’ll keep trying to finish a Hell run in the first game for now. Also, I don’t know how people pull off Speedlunk and No-Gold. I’ve tried and gotten nowhere near close.

LOL yeah, I suppose you never know. I’d like to think the light at the end of the proverbial tunnel isn’t a year out though. :)

2020’s GOTY has a release date!

That trailer is really, really doing it for me.

My opinion is having it be a PS4 launch first and not day/date on PC and XBOX is going to cause a problem for the community, I’m not sure that was the best move for Derek and company, but I’m sure they have their reasons. It comes out on PC very soon after PS4 though, so that’s not terrible, and I’d rather they drop it on PS4 first and then Steam rather than delay the PS4 version to get it out on PC on the same day. Still, I see lots of dislikes on that trailer and I am sure it’s the XBOX community being very disappointed, and I can empathize.

That said, I’ll get this on PS4 day 1 just to play it right away and enjoy it on my TV, and when it comes out on PC I’ll probably abandon the PS4 version to play it there. Though I can also see myself triple-dipping for a Switch copy at some point.

At 2:40 in the trailer the player is on a rope, shoots an arrow through a torch that is too close to him, which ignites the arrow and the flaming arrow not only lights up a row of torches but sets the rope on fire the player is on. /Chef’s Kiss

Mossmouth are going to save 2020! WOOOOO!

Not on Steam the same day is a big bummer.

Well, the alternative looks like delaying the PS4 version until the PC version is ready. I think they made the right call. Unless they could have shipped the PC version on the same date with the PS4 without online multiplayer and had that come as a patch later, in which case they made the wrong call.

I’m so glad they changed the graphic directions. I didn’t like where it was headed when I saw a preview trailer a couple of years ago. This one looks a lot like Spelunky 1 and that is such a relief! Can’t wait to play it in Steam!

Still looks inferior to Spelunky 1 IMO.

The graphics look flat and lifeless compared to the original.

As strangely usual with Spelunky, release is going to be a confusing mess of incertainty. I’ll come back in a couple of years when the PC version will surely be real!

You all need to consider drinking less.

Is that what is going on? I saw a few of @Left_Empty posts last night and they had strange spelling errors and wildly hard to follow context.

@Left_Empty can you explain what you mean by “as usual with Spelunky” with regards to it’s confusing mess of uncertainty? I’m not following. And what did you read that leads you to believe the Steam release is 2 years after the PS4 version?

@Bluddy Art is subjective, of course, but I don’t agree with how you are seeing it on any level. @krayzkrok has the right of it - more detail, better lighting, it looks incredible and seems to be very smooth, at least from the look we got in the trailer. I couldn’t be happier with the evolutionary path it took from the first game and the HD remaster.

Here’s an image out of Spelunky HD

And here’s one out of the video above

The jungle in Spelunky HD

And in Spelunky 2

Imgur

Note how, while there’s some more detail, the colors are flat. Unfortunately, they didn’t take Spelunky HD and move on from there – it’s quite clear that they started from scratch with a different artistic style – one that’s high detail, but also quite flat and not as vibrant. I’d say Spelunky 2 feels much more like I could be looking at a layout editor rather than an actual game.

In any case, I’m cautiously optimistic about Spelunky 2. HD already had some additions that were good (daily runs, Hell) and a lot of things that weren’t (uninteresting items, the worm stage, the spaceship). The genre has advanced so much, it’s hard to know how good S2 will really be.

Maybe they’re matching the current Silicon Valley design approach.