Spelunky, a roguelike platformer

Added it to my list!

This better come to PC and Vita, dammit.

If you’ve not played Caveblazers, give it a try, should tide you over. I like it better than Spelunky in some ways.

Watch your mouth!

Day 1, no question.

Please, as if the Switch isn’t an inevitability. I played most of my Spelunky on the Vita, which was a wonderful little machine for it.

E: Beat to the punch!

Yay! Looks amazing!!!

Dynamic fluids!!

I really enjoy the first game but the changes to me seem minimal…mounts, new guns, new skins, and the inexplicable addition of water physics…this seems like its sole purpose is to add online MP to essentially the same game

I disagree. More of the same amazing gameplay is exactly what you want in a sequel, but with more of everything. More biomes, more enemies, more weapons and items, characters that seem to play uniquely*, better gameplay mechanics to rub up against one another. It’s more and bigger, just from that 60 second clip, let alone all the stuff we don’t know about.

*I’m only basing this off the way they showed the characters with different tools, like maybe the one guy starts with a bow. Pure speculation on my part.

I’m serious! It’s so, so good.

I played a bunch on mine too, but the writing has been on the wall so long that archaeologists are writing dissertations on its precise meaning.

Also, it’s already announced for PC, so that’s even more of an inevitability.

And I’m totally on board with a sequel that adds new stuff and doesn’t fix what isn’t broken.

Sigh, one day I’m just gonna have to break down and get a Switch I suppose.

I agree with all of that, but this seems especially spartan. nothing about the new features excited me. i can see how this would appeal to some, but the list of new things shown here is small and many of them seem very token.

Spelunky is such a great game in a large part because it is so restrained in the design, yet so finely tuned. I just don’t know how much they can add to the game without losing some of what made it so great in the first place.

This is correct.

Also the Vita, as amazing as it was, is a thing of the past. If you do a lot of mobile gaming, you will want a Switch, they are amazing.

Excited for this! My son and I love the original.

I do, and I do plan to get one eventually, but a new PC comes first. Plus I just got a GBA so that and my 3DS should keep me for a spell.

I like the new lighting effects, very dynamic and much improved over the previous game. I was taking screenshots to write up my thoughts to my cousin and noticed this:

(compared to this)

Also, you can mount different types of creatures and ride them! They seem to take a hit for you, as well.

I swear the action is zoomed in a bit - are they hiding the UI?

Around 30 seconds in it looks like the player gets cured and just might become a statue, or something?

My thoughts on online co-op are that shared-screen co-op in Spelunky is just about the hardest thing in the world, even with someone that is pretty good at it. But, that’s sharing a screen, maybe online co-op will prove more fun?

Some of the levels look darker than others, like where the shop keeper is attacking the player in the trailer. I wonder with the better lighting system if we may have darker parts of a level just due to no light or light emitting objects generating in some levels as often as others.

Super excited about it but the trailers seem to show me a very difficult game. I’m already struggling with Spelunky 1, not sure if my reflex can take 2, but when I showed my daughter the trailer, she was jumping with joy. Maybe I’ll watch her play! Lol.

Did anyone lose their Spelunky save file? I am not sure what happened here but my save file was gone. I hope it wasn’t due to a imminent SSD hardware failure.