Spelunky, a roguelike platformer

I’m halfway through the one you gave me for Secret Santa and I absolutely love it. It has me thinking about trying to make my own indie game. Thanks again!

You’re welcome! I’m really glad you’re enjoying it. :) Some of us are poking around with creating short games over in this thread, so feel free to join us there if you’re interested in trying to make something!

This documentary on the making of Spelunky was really cool:

TIL that there is a pixelated low res Spelunky version that is also free to play http://www.spelunkyworld.com/original.html

That’s actually the original!

Does it play the same, just different graphics? Controller support as well?

Kind of. The new version is much, much more refined and has more content as well as being all around definitive. Not sure about controller support but I don’t believe so.

It’s got a different soundtrack too – and one that I liked much more than the remake’s. But one of Scott’s great tips for aleviating the stress of the clock in the remake was to cut off the background music, which was a win-win proposition to me ;)

I have downloaded it just because you said there’s a different soundtrack. Thanks for that. Can’t argue with free and I love pixelated games.

The updated version on Steam/PS4/XBOX1, etc… is phenomenal. Considering it is $2.25 right now, you may want to pick it up. I’m pretty sure it’s my all-time favorite game.

I already locked hundreds of hours in Spelunky @Clay. I didn’t realise it started as a pixelated games and that the original is available as free download.

Spelunky 2 was announced today, for PlayStation 4 at the least (and probably… everything else as well).

Hells yes.

Day one.

Woo

I would be more than happy to shell out $100 for this! YES!

p.s. Please come to the Switch

Also a day one purchase when it comes to a platform I own.

Yay! Wish the trailer showed some gameplay, though. Day one purchase for me as well - seeing as I still play the daily challenge almost every day. (And uh… I’ve still never beaten the game, despite getting to the end a lot).

Day One for me too!
Excited to see what schemes the dev are coming out this time!

Yay! This is freaking awesome! Probably my most anticipated game of all time. 😜

Super excited about this. Too bad it’s 2019 though.