Spider-man: Into the Spider-verse

I laughed SO HARD at “Do animals talk in this dimension? Because I don’t want to freak him out.” God dammit. So fucking good.

My 9-year old daughter and I saw the trailer for this when we went to see The Grinch, and we just looked at each other and said, “Oh yeah, we’re seeing that”.

Now it’s at 98% on Rotten Tomatoes, we’ve got tickets for Saturday, really excited!

We’re seeing it tonight. Apparently it was at 100% at Rotten Tomatoes until…

https://twitter.com/AndrewDeVary/status/1071598085258788864

I saw this last night with the kids. Definitely see it in IMAX 3D if you can, it’s totally worth it. It’s like watching a living comic book.

My kids were enthralled the entire time and they struggle to get through movies. This is probably the best Spider-Man movie that’s ever been made.

As with many movies, I wish I hadn’t seen the later trailers. I should have stopped with the teaser; the other ones gave away what could have been really cool surprises onscreen.

That said…this is a beautiful movie and I enjoyed every minute of it! As my son said (before the movie came out), “I want to take every frame of this movie, put them in a blender, and pour it into my eye holes.” You have individual frames where it jumps to comic art, and it’s just gorgeous. I couldn’t be happier with the art style they chose, and the story was everything you could want. If you like animation or Spider-Man, go see it.

I’ll wait for the PC version so I can get a decent frame rate!

jk

Great movie, but that was my thought early on.

I wish Warner Brothers would take a chance and give this sort of treatment to Grant Morrison’s Batman.

I absolutely loved it, virtually without reservation. Spot on comedic timing, some really solid emotional beats, good action, beautiful, great soundtrack. Ugh. So good.

Stay past the credits.

(I mean I would have liked a little more time with the less conventional Spiderfolk, but, eh. Minor quibble.)

I came here to post this almost literally verbatim. I could not agree more - this film was fucking perfect to me.

I never got into the Avengers, so this movie actually sounds good (to me).

The artistry in this movie blew me away. Truly a graphic novel in motion. To think that every frame was designed and created. Computers may have helped, but they did not imagine it all. Quite the masterpiece.

As soon as this is available, we will be purchasing in 4k (our first one), and it will have an honored place on our shelves. So damn good.

Saw this today with my kids. Amazing animation and style and a good story to boot. Highly recommended.

Agreed with the above raves. Excellent film, striking visual style(s), great grasp of what makes Spider-Man cool, good use of the crazy range of Spider-characters, good voice acting. Above all, just truly amazing use of all forms of animation, and also really great animation direction/editing in giving different scenes really different visual textures. Bonus points for Nicolas Cage as Spider-Noir. I don’t know if he’s woke and ironically self-aware or just needs the money (probably the latter), but he was awesome.

I thought it was utterly terrific. I was initially drawn into the trailer because the art direction and animation was so superb - and while watching the movie, I kept adoring and simply couldn’t take my eyes off the screen. Especially the action sequences have such a 2D feel to them, by which I’m not referring to how everything is shaded or the intentional choppiness of the animation. The way everything is shot, framed, stretched, suqeezed and generally animated just nailed it. It’s stuff that you’re not going to see in any of the “live-action” super-hero movies. (Using quotes here since a large chunk of those is done with CGI, too anyway.)

That said, the movie also has its heart in the right place beyond the visuals. Charming and funny, and it made me care about the characters. Voice work was great as well.

Looks like most of the good stuff has been said and seconded but I’ll say this:

I don’t think of myself as a 3-D kind of guy but this was the exception; definitely seek out the 3-D IMAX showing near you.

Edit to add:

Need a word to describe the dissonance felt when you are in a theater, waiting for the movie you came to see to start, now the lights go down and the trailers for coming attractions start… and movie trailer after movie trailer seems in no way to make sense given the movie which you have come to see.

We got shown trailers for a half-dozen or so whole family friendly type animated movies, a couple of rom-coms and a couple faith-based movies (Parental Advisory: movie contains some scenes of peril). No other Marvel properties or any other super-hero-and-big-effects types; actually check that, they did throw in Bumblebee. But seriously, it was so strange and off-putting that I had serious doubts that I was in the correct theater.

We had a Captain Marvel trailer, and some movie where a kid turns out to be the reincarnation of Arthur Pendragon (but which apparently isn’t based on the Pendragon series? IDK), and Lego Movie 2, and a movie about a dog. Probably others. Which tracks fine for me. I think your theater must just be weird.

(There were also trailers for Elf, Die Hard, Home Alone, etc because I saw it at the Alamo Drafthouse and those are the Christmas movies they’re doing revival screenings for.)

Yeah the Bible movie trailers threw me for a loop. They showed a dog movie trailer too that did the thing where they show the whole movie in 2 minutes. Starts with the dog being adopted, her owner goes to college, she runs away, owner gets sad, dog befriends a puma, dog arrives at his wedding day, owner says, “It can’t be!”

Seriously why do they that?

Is this a reference to the character animation not being at 24fps? Genuinely curious.

There’s a great article about the visual style of the movie, include why they chose to animate most characters on twos or threes (12fps or 8fps) instead of 24fps.

I hadn’t even thought of that. Agreed, this could push me over the edge to buy a 4K TV with HDR.

Oh great, I was going to see this to find out if the dog made it home, but now you ruined it for me. Thanks.

Just kidding, of course. But yeah, why would a trailer literally show the ending of the movie? It’s probably a sign that the movie isn’t interesting enough on its own. It’s just ridiculous.

Yep, that was the one. It was a cute dog but I’m pretty sure that there’s no surprises in that movie even without the trailer spoiling the whole arc.