Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021)

The pedigree of the stunt coordinator and the work he has made makes me think it really won’t be this. Guy learned the craft under Jackie Chan, and his list of credits is very solid.

Yes some fantastical bits, but what I’ve seen makes me think there is plenty off the good stuff.

Marvel is well known for hiding things in trailers. After all, the Hulk was in the Infinity War trailer in the “big group run” shot. We can’t trust our eyes!

Messing up the multiverse…

Tom Holland’s spiderman is, unquestionably, the best incarnation of Spiderman, and on par with Cap and Ironman in terms of nailing the character.

Very much so, for me it’s the villains he’s had against him that are the weak issues with his two movies.

They took 2 C list villains and made them awesome. They didn’t go with the obvious choices like Goblin, Doc Ock, and Venom, because it’s already been done. Of course, Sony just couldn’t help themselves when it came to Venom… ugh

I dunno, I thought that both villains were excellent. Vulture had a progression and motivation that felt grounded in the world. Mysterio gave an opportunity to explore aspects of Peter’s age and experiences. Both said something about the world and/or the hero.

I liked Vulture a lot, but that was mostly thanks to Michael Keaton’s amazing performance in the car ride scene.

Mysterio didn’t impress me at all. I almost died during Gyllenhaal’s villain reveal scene exposition toast. Super yuck.

Hating on Vulture and Mysterio, both iconic Spider-Man villains, is rubbing me entirely the wrong way. I thought both were explored really well within this Marvel Universe.

If the MCU Spider-Man movies had problems, it wasn’t the villains, IMO.

Mysterio was always a fishbowl goof in the comics, even when Kevin Smith tried to make him badass, so even with the crazy villain exposition moment in FFH, I liked his Sony/MCU take.

My son told me not to watch the preview because it spoils too much, but I couldn’t help myself.

My big takeaway and what has me super excited about this is once again, Marvel has mined a significant but subtle thing about comics that always made them fun to read month after month… a team-up. Spider-Man bouncing around NYC and bumping into The Fantastic Four, Doctor Strange, the Human Torch, Punisher, Daredevil… etc. was always awesome and this movie looks to do just that with at least “Stephen”. Haha. I love it!

That feels weird but I’ll allow it.

Yeah I loved that delivery.

So I’ll say this as someone who was in high school when the McGuire Spider-Man films came out, who could identify with the nerdy picked on star crossed Parker a little too much.

I think he Holland depiction is better.

I loved the Spider-Man films, they were a big deal for me. But Holland’s depiction is so much more grounded in how a teenager would feel with those powers. Like I get why Parker had the reactions he did in the Raimi movies, it was. The story they were telling. But there is something about the joy and excitement of being Spiderman as a teenager that Holland captures so well. The scene with Ned and the Lego Death Star when Peter comes in and Ned discovers Peter is Spider-Man? Just golden. That is exactly how I feel two nerdy teens would respond.

McGuire, for as much as I enjoyed those films, never carried the sense of joy and excitement, and it is noted.

I like Gyllenhaal’s mysterio.

Toby McGuire was a terrible Spider-Man. He was propped up by the supporting cast. Especially J Jonah Jameson! I don’t even remember the Andrew Garfield movies even though I watched them all. He fought Lizard right? Totally forgettable.

I enjoyed Tobey as Spider-Man until I saw Tom Holland in the role.

Tom Holland totally changed my perception on who Spider-Man should be.

(Very, very yes on JK Simmons though. So glad they’re bringing him in over here.)

I liked him too. I have fond memories of Mysterio both from the original animated show and, especially, from starting to read Amazing Spider-man as a kid around issue 200 in the midst of a still fantastic Mysterio arc (although I think it was the first of many times they “killed” Aunt May).

I really liked this trailer and everything I’ve heard about this movie - I think the MCU really needs this movie right now, as Black Widow, Shang-chi and Eternals feel a lot less interesting than the core Spidey/X-men/Fantastic Four/Avengers stuff that is further down pipeline.

I really liked both Spider-man MCU movies. My main issues are

1. That they removed the ‘guilt’ aspect that drives him so much. There’s no uncle Ben and therefore all of that ‘with great power’ stuff is gone. Given that he’s one of the weaker superheroes in the MCU cast, it wouldn’t even make much sense to focus on that.
  2. They had him rely on Ironman SO MUCH in the first movie, and in the second movie, on Iron Man’s tech. It doesn’t really feel much like Spider-man, who’s traditionally very independent and not that gadget-oriented. I keep waiting for a movie where he goes out and does things by himself but it just doesn’t seem like it’s going to happen.

Yeah, that’s really the core of the problem with MCU Spidermen - they don’t want to get dark like the Raimi ones did. When Peter finds himself thrown in a European jail with some football hooligans, it’s not a genuine low moment because that would be a bummer, it’s just a gag while he calls Happy to come pick him up in a jet.