Squirrel Girl coming to the Playstation 4! Also some other superheroes.

Oh, speaking of Gazillion, guess what. Today they announced Marvel Heroes Online for the Playstation 4! Who could see that coming?
This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2017/04/06/squirrel-girl-coming-playstation-4-also-superheroes/

She’s also coming to TV!

And, more relevantly to myself, it’s also coming to Xbox One.

Think this would be a great game to have on the PS4 just to jump in and stomp around now and again. I basically only leveled up colossus in the PC version and played for over 100 hours. Looking forward to it.

Judging by recent steam user reviews, it appears the PC playerbase is not happy with all the changes that were made to make the game work well with a gamepad.

The PC playerbase is absolutely not happy. Their official forums and the Marvel Heroes subreddit are basically full of 24/7 negativity about any change Gazillion makes that moves the game farther from Diablo 2 and closer to Diablo 3.

A lot of people are upset because they think development resources will be split between console and PC, thus slowing new content on both. But the model works for Warframe, as far as I can tell, so I don’t know why this would be different.

I’m personally on board. And if it plays better on my PS4 and has a larger playerbase, who knows? It might become my preferred platform, despite the time spent and items gained on PC.

They didn’t get rid of the Omega system, per se. It’s now the Infinity system, where you allocate points to a handful of generic bonuses in a way that feels much more like the Paragon system in Diablo 3. It’s probably more balanced and much less weird and obtuse but it also lacks any flavor whatsoever and there was plenty of flavor in the Omegas. :(

Is this one of the free to play games that you can make decent progress in without paying? And it’s Diablo-like?

For my tastes it is the best ARPG currently on the market.

I didn’t think much of it when I tried it out, but that was quite a while back. I’ll give it another go when the console release is out.

If that was near launch, it wasn’t very good then. They have made a huge number of changes and additions in the meantime.

Does the game have stuff to do other than to hang out in midtown?

There are two other patrol zones, a couple raids, terminals (including new stories exclusive to terminals in a couple cases), danger room and sometimes Limbo. Probably more by now.

I’m one of them. Haven’t played since just before the changes. Although I did pop on to check them out. The thing is that Gaz was swearing up and down that the changes had nothing to do with a console port. Anyone with half a brain knew they were lying. Long time players like me just wanted them to acknowledge it. No way.

Correction:
“Character[s] like Doctor Strange”

You have no idea. /Jeremy Irons

Marvel Heroes has stuff to do to a fault. It’s the sort of game where I’d suffer indecision paralysis whenever I booted it up.

-Tom

Cool! It has been a while since I played, as you can guess. Thanks, Tom and Malkav!

It looks like the beta access is now available (on UK PSN anyway) with the purchase of a Founders Pack including some characters, skins, and fake currency. I love a good console ARPG, looking forward to getting to check out Victor Vran later this year, so will be checking this out at the weekend.

Looks like this is available in the US store also. How do you actually unlock more characters though? If I buy the Deadpool or Spider-man pack to get beta access, can I only play as that character? If I want to play with my wife, do we both have to play as that character? Looks like all progress will be reset once the beta’s over but it’d be fun to try out.

You seem to have access to all characters up to level 10, then you can unlock either with G currency (for $$$) or Eternity Splintrons which you seem to start with a bunch of and get randomly from defeated foes. I’ve got enough to unlock one more character in the small amount of play I’ve done today but I guess that is because I started out with some Eternity Splinters.
And yep, everything is reset after the beta and I guess you get back any G currency that you’ve spent.

Seems fine so far, I’ve experienced some lag and a couple of crashes, and the controller support is okay (inventory management has been a bit tricky but I think they just need to tweak the sensitivity).