Stacking, from Double Fine

I found at least one solution relating to said feature, but what I wish I knew is how the guard-related solution works. PM would be fine ;-) ;-) ;-)

How are the puzzles after the demo ends? I was pretty disappointed up to that point with the gameplay. I realize it was probably more of a tutorial than anything else, so I am just curious to what level the brain twisters go to or if it stays the same ‘just find the unique doll’.

They’re not complicated puzzles. It’s not really a game about just bypassing obstacles, but about finding how many different ways you can bypass an obstacle. Some of those are just finding the unique doll and bringing them to the right location, some are slightly more clever but never terribly so. Like most Double Fine games, it’s a great concept not quite as well realized as it could have been, but charming and funny enough (for some) to forgive some lackluster design.

RepoMan, the game has a built in hint system that will clue you in. One hint I’ll give you is to simply talk to him and pay attention to what he says.

Timing is important for that solution. You have to be pretty quick about executing it.

I have to say, this is the finest game involving nesting dolls and forced child labor I’ve ever played.

I’ve bought it. It’s spectacular. Enough said.

I started the demo, and the cutscenes drove me mad.

Yeah, the cutscenes are a little irritating. You can skip them by mashing the face buttons all at once, though - it’s one of those instances where I don’t know exactly what button did it, but one certainly did.

It would be a shame, though, to let some cutscenes get in the way of what is an awesome game.

I don’t know if you can get to the Gilded Steamship in the demo, but that is really the level they should have used to show it off. That ship is a level design masterpiece.

I like this game, although it doesn’t really give me that Double Fine feeling, because there’s no real sense of the characters and the writing really isn’t in the spotlight. For that reason, I can’t say that it’s really grabbed me as much as any of their previou games. Mechanically it’s very good though. It’s a shame “sandbox game” is already a term, because this game really is like playing in a sandbox: you’re in a small, confined area and you’re given a bunch of toys and the freedom to see how they interact with each other. It’s neat. Who knows if I’ll finish it, because I can’t say I care much about advancing the story and whatnot, but it’s kind of a blast to just check out all the different dolls and work through the different solutions to the challenges.

There’s got to be more to the Train Station than I’ve encountered, because there are achievements for completing all the challenges in it and getting all the Hi-Jinks that I do not have (indeed, there were no Hi-Jinks when last I was in it).

There is. It acts as a sort of hub between individual levels, giving you new challenges and dolls and things to do. After the Steam Ship, the Hi-Jinks will open up.

I am just loving this delightful game. I’ve always been very frustrated by adventure games and their one solution to every puzzle. Having multiple solutions not only alleviates the “why wouldn’t this work” factor, but it also actually makes me want to find the other solutions that the designer thought of. For the first time in an adventure game, I’m actually interested in finding out what solutions the designer came up with.

Also, I love that the game expects you to pick and drop the game, and provides a nice summary when you come back, so you’re never wondering “what was I doing again? I don’t remember”.

Also, just how genius is that stacking mechanic? On the one hand, it’s completely non-intuitive in real life. But in a world where people are stacking dolls, it’s like the most natural mechanic that’s immediately understood by everyone.

Now that I’ve gotten past the bug in the first scene, I’m loving the game. I haven’t encountered any bugs, just some loose controls and poor camera work.

Are we talking about the same cutscenes – the charmingly funny ones with the beautiful music and art and silent movie titles? They’re my favorite part.

Yup. Not only is it nice to be able to finish the game without having to find one magic solution, it allows the designers more flexibility. In traditional adventure games the number of items is limited, since every item usually has a use. With multiple solutions there’s not as much constraint on the number of possible interactions.

I finished (just over 90% completion) a few days ago, and enjoyed it all the way through. Stacking oozes style, and is short enough to not wear out its welcome. A few of the puzzle solutions felt too similar (I used farting at least 3 times), and it might be a little bit too straightforward (bring doll to the correct location, then perform an action solves at least 2/3 of the puzzles), but that’s ok.

Just finished this 100%. Fun game, better concept than Costume Quest but not quite as well executed, IMO. Pretty much I agree with what most other people are saying about it so I won’t repeat them.

I am miffed that there is no big reward for getting 100%, after the game seems to explicitly tell you there is. Twice. I think it’s in a loading screen, and also your hobo friend says it. But not so much as an extra line of dialog when you finally get that last $&?!$& unique doll. Oh well.

The DLC for this is out this week. It’s good considering it’s only $5. It’s one more area on par with the original three. It’s all completely new content, with new art, new dolls, challenges, and hijinks. It took me less than two hours to completely finish. I was using some hints, though.

If you liked the game and think a bit more of it sounds good, then it’s worth the price of a frappuccino and will last slightly longer.

This just appeared on Steam.

How is this completely underground?? It looks absolutely awesome.

Started playing this earlier in the week, and I finished the first chapter. I have to say its a fun and unique game. Glad I didn’t write it off into the backlog abyss of never installed and forgotten games.

Agreed, I played it through last year and found it charming and different.

Only had to refer to a guide once or twice (pats self on back).