Star Citizen - Chris Roberts, lots of spaceship porn, lots of promises


#5711

I’m going to be that “actually” guy and just point out that Evochron Legacy has multiplayer too. :)


#5712

Elite has single player you asosial beast


#5713

I thought I was representing Notorious B.I.G. but IKR

image


#5714

That Asosial Beast looks kind of nifty, actually.


#5715

Because 1e D&D art is the best. 70s-style tipping between amateur PeeChee doodling and actual professional art.

Also:

The fundamental flaw in E:D is that it really doesn’t know what kind of critter it is. It started out early in its development as balanced for SP. Then that went away, and now it, like every other game that tries to manage simultaneous stat/weapon/etc. balancing between SP and MP (hi, The Division!, shits all over itself in one direction or another.

The Evochron games were never balanced for competitive MP. I guess that’s why I consider it SP and Elite MP.


#5716

Erol Otus and Trampy for life yo


#5717

I agree with your assessment on both titles. I’m probably an outlier, but what I really want in games is to take a terrific single-player experience and just let me play with my nephew or a friend if I so desire. I think Divinity: Original Sin 2 is a good example. I have plenty of fun on my own, but if a friend or two wants to join? Hop on in!

I wanted that with the Elite multiplayer. Just give me an awesome Elite experience and let a friend tag along. Don’t try to turn it into this wishy-washy wannabe-but-not-really MMO that leaves no one happy. The design of a lot of stuff in Elite is just an absolute mess. I know we’ve talked about that in other threads, so no need for me to poop in this one, but man… the game is so incredible in certain areas it makes it’s faults all the more frustrating. I wish the whole thing just sucked so that I didn’t ever have to think about what the game could be!


#5718

Evochron can totally let you do that if you join the same server.


#5719

Yep, for sure. I love Evochron.


#5720

E:D got bad? Bummer.


#5721

E:D isn’t bad, it’s just fairly empty. Which is a quality I kind of appreciate in my space sims.


#5722

I’m familiar with the emptiness. But now apparently the design is a mess!


#5723

It didn’t really get bad, it just, for me, took a while to realize just how…devoid of actual gameplay the game is. It’s a great take-off and docking simulator…everything in between? Meh…


#5724

Well the critiques upthread are all about balance and SP/MP confusion.

I already knew E:D was empty, but I love the combat model and the feel of the ships and have been planning to go back at some point.


#5725

OH god that too. WHY DO WINGS NEVER WORK? Gawd.


#5726

6yrs + $166m @ 18% complete =


#5727

So if Pareto’s law holds true, then this 20% they’ve done has taken 805 of the time, and the remaining 80% should be done soonish?

So 2020 for a full game?


#5728

Where does Star Raiders fit into this rubric?


#5729

Oh man, I’m being audacious to talk about it here but if you want a MMO, try Vendetta Online. It’s not at all a perfect game but it’s my favorite. One of the big things it gets right over E:D is the inventory system. Another is that you are playing in the same space as everyone else (hello blockades). You can conquer stations, manufacture capital ships…

The graphics are nowhere near what I’ve seen from Star Citizen, but at least there is a real game there, even more so than in Elite in some ways.


#5730

About to get sued by @Gordon_Cameron for copyright infringement, I imagine.