Star Trek Beyond

Wow, I haven’t been more turned off by a trailer ever. I hate the idea of destroying the Enterprise, again, and don’t know why this series seems determined to only feature the Enterprise it one-sided battles where it is totally outclassed. Why not just a decent Klingon or Romulan conflict movie, which seems ideal for a movie and yet we never get one (excluding the goofy super-miners and Picard clone nonsense)? Some decent character moments - Karl Urban and Simon Pegg - but the whole cast is fine.

For a series that has already remade its one great movie not once, but twice, it’s not a bad thing to try something different, but we don’t really need something as pointless and stupid as Star Trek V again either.

Better be careful. Lt. Chick of the Acronym Squad might be on duty.

I know this one. TNG stands for Trek Not Good. It’s the rallying cry of Star Wars fans everywhere.

-Tom

Abrams used Sabotage in the first reboot and Intergalactic in the first reboot first sequel. There was very little sabotage going on in this trailer, though. It looked like mostly straight up aggression between belligerent parties. I think a better song to use would be “In 3s”, for obvious reasons. Perhaps this movie will answer the burning question as to how the Beastie Boys survived the Eugenics Wars?

A thousand times this.

As a life long Trekker, and TOS fan…this trailer was borderline offensive. I had to go watch Amok Time to cleanse my brain.

First, what the hell happened to Chris Pine’s face? He looks like a different person, and like he aged 20 years since the last few movies.

Second, though the trailer was a bit off, I did like the part where Kirk did a triple ollie, and caught the Mountain Dew that Spock flipped him right at the apex of the jump. Fucking X-Treme!

It’s his hair.

— Alan

I don’t care what any of you say; I’m going to see this movie and probably enjoy it like I did the last two. Also, TNG was my favorite.

Are those aliens something I should recognize?

I’m gonna guess that they are Cardassian. Because why the hell not?

I think the TMNT2 trailer was better.

There better be some Klingons hidden off-screen, waiting for a big reveal in theaters. I’ve been waiting patiently for six years for them to dominate one of the Star Trek movies since the first reboot in 2009. What little time we had with them a few years ago wasn’t nearly enough, so they better deliver this time.

I don’t need another reboot of some older Trek movie, I just want an original story, except with Klingons. And space exploration, stay away from Earth! Plus, I’m hoping they aren’t stranded on that planet for 2 straight hours. And damnit, can we please get at least five minutes spent hanging out in the ship (more than the bridge and engineering) before it blows up?

Yeah, I’d go with Cardassian here:

Could this be a new take on Jem’Hadar:

But G’Kar isn’t a Cardassian, he’s Narn.

Oh yeah, failed identification on my part.

That’s it! This will never be proper Trek until they put a really bad rug on Chris Pine.

Why does everyone say Shatner’s toupée is terrible? I think it’s a great toupée.

“that’s no moon!”.

All the stuff that Into Darkness brought into the Star Trek universe like personal transwarp, Khan’s blood resurrecting people, and Carol Marcus’ status at the end of the movie?

Ignored.

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2015/12/15/star-trek-beyond-will-politely-ignore-into-darkness

[Co-writers] Simon [Pegg] and Doug [Jung] and I have spent some time on that. [laughs] Star Trek has been around for 50 years, and every filmmaker that comes on has a different point of view, and it’s a universe that can support many points of view and journeys and adventures. I embraced what JJ has brought - without him this whole group wouldn’t be together - so I’m definitely very appreciative of him. At the same time, do we address it? No, but we don’t discount it. We don’t sit there and say it doesn’t exist, it’s part of this universe now.