Star Trek Discovery (2017)

My bet is that they start fresh. Too much baggage in Prime Trek

Yeah probably for the best, TNG/DS9,Voyager casts are getting old. :(

Great! Love a new Star Trek. Problem: can’t get CBS All Access outside US (legit, without VPN use). Warp core breach! End of line.

The same executive producers as Scorpion…

So here’s why it annoys me. I pay for DIRECTV (well, sort of pay…). That subscription is supposed to include CBS programming. Having to now pay an additional fee to see this show seems aggressively greedy to me. At least things like HBO Go and Showtime streaming are free if you already have them on DTV. From what I can tell, CBS All Access doesn’t care if you already pay for their channel or not. To top it off, not everything that shows on CBS is available on CBS All Access (no sporting events, limited local programming, etc.). Sigh

This hybrid period between ala cart and the traditional “you get a bunch of channels” subscription model is going to be painful. Personally, I would prefer that CBS maintain their commitment to Hulu and just use that as their streaming service instead of this dedicated CBS thing.

Won’t watch. I’m currently paying ~$100 a month for DirecTV, Netflix and Amazon Prime altogether. I’m at my limit (excepting only the $12 a month for three months extra I pay come Game of Thrones season for HBO). If a show doesn’t air on regular network television, a cable network carried in the giant main package of DTV, Netflix or Amazon Prime, then fuck it. I am 100% positive I am not the only person who feels this way, which means experiments like CBS All-Access are likely doomed to failure, as are the shows exclusive to them.

So which will get canceled first, the show or the service?

Part of me is hoping that between now and then, the All Access service flounders and they move their streaming shit to Hulu.

This is stupid.

I’m not joining another streaming service. Period.

So, which time line? New Movies Time line or Old Show Time line?

And which era? Enterprise era (which is before the time lines split) ST Original Series, or Next Generation, or something beyond that?

Will it be the federation or something a little more rough and tumble? Something like Firefly meets Star Trek?

These are the questions I would like answered.

Just have the writers find a new way to totally wreck O’Brien’s life every week. “O’Brien Must Suffer: The Series.”

If Hulu would let you access entire seasons, instead of that last-3-or-5-episodes bullshit, I’d agree with this.

Exactly, CBS All Access fails spectacularly, and they go into agreement with Hulu for all the same content.

Pretty much where I fall in. I have Amazon, Netflix, and Hulu. I’m just not going to bother with channel-specific stuff so I can get nickeled and dimed to death.

but…Capitalism! think of the children of the media moguls that need another porsche for school next term!! ;)

Funny anecdote: when my kid was packing up his dorm last year to head home, a person who lived on his floor asked him in all seriousness if he had a spare limo because she was worried she couldn’t fit everything in hers. He handled the question with far more grace than I would have.

It’s produced by Kurtzman - I think I’ll pass.

Right. So you wait until all the episodes are out and then subscribe and binge-watch. That’s the cheap way of doing it.

Did you like or hate Fringe? (Kurtzman co-created it and wrote some episodes.)

I don’t know about moving to Hulu (it’d be nice), but I’m assuming All Access will be dead by then too.