Star Trek Discovery (2017)

I heard TV Star Trek was important in cultivating TV sci-fi writers.
But with the procedural push, I doubt they accept outside scripts anymore.

*My information my be very outdated.

I’ve always imagined that sooner or later streaming services would get packaged up by ISPs in much the same way that cable providers bundle movie channels into packages. It seems like the only way it would be sustainable with so many competing services anyway.

I’ve been watching ST:NG recently actually. Maybe its the nostalgia talking but I cant muster any enthusiasm for a series based around the rebooted universe. I get why they wanted to reboot it but its lost too much, its almost generic sci-fi now.

The rebooted JJ Abrams stuff makes for a good two hour action movie. But if they’re going to do long story arcs and complex characters then it needs to be in the TNG/DS9 universe or it’s going to be crap. Sorry but it’s true. And it’ll never happen :(

It’s unlikely it’s the JJ timeline. That’s owned by Paramount. CBS is unlikely to go there, cause they’d have to share the monies. Plus, Paramount would probably have all sorts of control issues, being it’s their part of the license.

It might just be its own thing, not specifically part of the movie franchise, but not contradicting it either. seriously doubt it’ll be part of the old timeline.

It’s Kurtzman. There’s no way that this is going to be the older style of Trek. Even if it’s set in the previous timeline, it won’t be captain and officers in a conference room discussing what to do and agonizing over the Prime Directive.

yeah it’s going to be made for short attention spans…

I rotate between Netflix and Hulu, I have no reason to keep them both at anyone time. I also have Amazon Prime as a backup. Then every once in a while I subscribe to Acorn for $5/month for any BBC shows they are playing that I do not see anywhere else.

We have two major Mobile Cell companies thats bundles HBO with it now, as part of the package.

Bryan Fuller (Hannibal) has been nabbed to be the showrunner.

Dammit. Now I have to at least entertain the idea of watching this.

On the flipside, even more stuff in the way of a potential Hannibal reunion in a year or three. . .

So I guess this means he’s out as the showrunner for American Gods after the first season.

It really struck me that I thought he had come out of the blue to do Wonderfalls, and suddenly it struck me that I remember seeing his name in the credits for DS9 and Voyager and just never put it together.

— Alan

Wow. I’ll take it! Excellent news.

There’s no chance I will sign up for single-network subscription services. I already have a top-tier U-Verse package, Netflix and Amazon Prime. That’s plenty, both in terms of total expense and quality content.

Oghier is not a big enough Star Trek fan.

Wow. Nelix spin-off confirmed!

This is kind of exciting. I respectfully bounced off Abrams’s reboot. I think the soul of Trek is in TV not movies. That said, I haven’t really watched a Trek series with any regularity since TNG went off the air. I caught a little Voyager (Tuvix 4life yo).

Tuvix was a great character.

You should check out Deep Space Nine though Gordon. You might be pleasantly surprised. The first two seasons can be rough going sometimes, but after that it gets really good.