Star Trek Discovery (2017)

Those new Klingons are stupid. Makes it looks like a crappy SyFy movie. Why are they doing that?

This looks absolutely terrible. And they’re putting it behind a paywall? wut?

Why are they intent on completely fucking up Star Trek, and how are they so tone deaf that they don’t realize they are? Yeah the trek fan base is really clamoring for a third reboot with stupid looking Klingons.

This isn’t a reboot anymore than Enterprise or DS9, right?

Also, 3rd reboot? Did I miss the 2nd?

Klingons look different all the time. They do not speak of it with outsiders.

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/18556716_1876294816024758_2337518229096773948_o.jpg?oh=dc04d13871ca1d8920096bbcdaf25a6e&oe=59ADE4FB

DS9 and Enterprise were a part of the same exact universe as TNG and Voyager. That is a well loved, well respected universe that a lot of people would like to see more of. There are plenty of places/times/etc that have not been explored in it. Plenty of room for them to do something completely different and new yet still within the timeline that we already know and has all kinds of great stuff in it.

TNG was a reboot. The JJ Abrams movies are a reboot. Now this would be the third, no? It doesn’t seem to be in the TNG universe. The dumb looking Klingons are proof enough of that.

I dunno why but this just makes me irrationally annoyed. I like when a fiction has a well fleshed out list of people/places/etc to let your imagination bounce around in. Having to start over from scratch again sucks. Especially when it’s for no good reason.

Eh? I’ve never heard of TNG referred to as a reboot before. How is TNG a reboot, in your mind? Abrams is obviously a reboot.

On the Klingons, they seem like JJ Klingons, as I mentioned above. Which has me puzzled as to why they’re allegedly in the TOS timeline. If they were in the JJ timeline, I’d say this is no reboot at all, but a prequel in that timeline.

I dunno, I guess TNG wasn’t a reboot. Because now that I think about it there are episodes of TNG and DS9 that directly interact with stuff from TOS.

Wow, you must be the first person I’ve ever heard of thinking TNG was a reboot.The very first episode had McCoy in it. A couple of episodes had Spock. Star Trek: Generations had Kirk in it. The ship is the Enterprise-D. The show is actually named Star Trek: The Next Generation. Good lord.

Well, better finding out 30 years late than never I guess.

Ranting:

People just don’t know the meaning of reboot anymore. Reboot = to discard all continuity in an established series in order to recreate its characters, timeline and backstory from the beginning.

TNG is certainly not a reboot for the Star Trek franchise. JJ Abrams Star Trek is a reboot because the TNG universe has been reset. I don’t know what to think of STD, the Klingons doesn’t really look appealing…

/Rant

AHAHAHAAHA

THE ABBREVIATION IS STD

THIS SHOW IS OFFICIALLY A DISASTER

I don’t know about that…

Hah, I read your post last night and didn’t have time to respond, but I knew you’d get jumped for calling TNG/DS9/VOY a reboot.

And I agree, it wasn’t a reboot, but I’m sympathetic to why someone would think that. There is a distinction between TOS and TNG/DS9/VOY just as a result of the timing of things. TOS ended almost 20 years before TNG began, and then TNG/DS9/VOY all ran sort of “together” with overlapping seasons as one ended and the next began. As a result, even though TNG, DS9, and VOY all had different settings and tones, they feel much more “of a piece” to me. In narrative, in the canon of the show, definitely not a reboot, but realistically they were the product of a very different era.

(I don’t know to what extent this applies to Enterprise, which also overlapped the end of Voyager because I never actually watched it, but I would assume it didn’t feel quite as connected since it was jumping back earlier in the history of Trek—it wasn’t flowing chronologically in the narrative the way TNG/DS9/VOY did.)

Sadly Enterprise should have felt quite different, since it took place before TOS, but once again it felt like TNG/VOY, part of the same tone and formula. That’s why it felt really tired to me. I gave up on it eventually, though I hear it got better right before it got cancelled, and that the terrible last episode I saw was not representative of the quality of the last season.

Still, I remember reading a Braga interview where he was lamenting the fact that there was no writer’s strike after the end of Voyager and before the beginning of Enterprise. He thought that if there had been a writer’s strike at that time, it would have given them some time to make the show feel more different than TNG/VOY. Instead, they were forced to go from Voyager to Enterprise with no break in between, so the writers were all exhausted and just continued writing the same kind of thing they had been writing before.

DS9 is quite different in feel after TNG ended. So Seasons 3-7 of DS9 are not quite the same feel as TNG/VOY/ENT.

You go girl!

EDIT - God that’s lame. This forum needs Like buttons again.

I actually had to go to IMDB and look this up, because I was convinced that there was a multi-year gap between Voyager and Enterprise… but no, one ended and the other began. I guess that I had given up on Voyager midway and stopped watching Star Trek for a few years.

Yeah, but that was more because of the creative team rather than the setting or even the (much better) production design. Beyond the “wormhole” plot-generation device, all the trappings and tech of TNG were still there for DS9. It’s just that Moore and his cohort tilted the angle of the universe for DS9 and gave it a fresh look, while Braga had the same technobabble-leaning writers who had been churning out the same stories for a decade or more, and couldn’t bring much of anything new to the universe despite theoretically having a totally blank canvas to paint on.

In @Eric_Majkut’s defense, they call everything a reboot these days, it doesn’t have to upend previous lore. Here’s a review of the new season of Twin Peaks -

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/television/2017/05/showtime_s_twin_peaks_reboot_reviewed_by_laura_miller.html

It wasn’t a reboot, it was a spinoff you god damned maniac.

I just the entire series of all the treks this year again because…why not. I have no idea why TNG & VOY are being lumped in with Enterprise which has a completely different feel from everything else. DS9 might have gone somewhere else emotionally and plot-wise but it was still easily identifiable with TNG and VOY universes.

What.