Star Trek Discovery (2017)

I do, but I’m watching it because the guys at the amazing Greatest Generation podcast are doing a podcast on it, and I wanna keep up with them.

http://www.maximumfun.org/shows/greatest-discovery

Heard they moved more episodes before the break, and it will be 9 prior to the holidays now.

Is that where I recognized her from? From the modern BSG?

Yep. Tori.

Huh. . .

. . . that episode was almost. . . Trek-like.

Mudd was fabulous. Saru was fabulous. Dr Asshole (Stametz) was something approaching tolerable. The Klingons felt threatening and weighty (well, until a shipful of them fell to two injured torture survivors). The tardigrade sequence actually fit into my idea of Trek. The “essence of being a great captain” subplot did, too.

Probably my favorite episode of the show thus far :)

I watched a few episodes. I hope the rest of the serie is not a action-movie.

The risk is when they lower the rhythm to normal episodes where stuff don’t explode all the time, the serie will have to reinvent itself. And thats hard.

8 minutes into this latest episode, I wanna yell at it:

THAT’S NOT WHAT A KLINGON D-7 LOOKS LIKE YOU FUCKS.

Yeah, I’m still annoyed at this show.

I do not understand the point of watching a show you obviously dislike just to constantly whine about it. Watch it for what it is or let it go for crying out loud.

I agree this was the closest thing to a “traditional” Star Trek themed episode yet. Also surprised and yet amused they used a couple of F-bombs. Pretty sure that was a ST first.

That was really surprising, yeah.

That actually felt like a moment lifted straight from The Orville, though way more justified than the constant string of out-of-place language in that show. . .

I really liked this one. It’s feeling more like classic trek but there’s still a darker undertone to it. A really good version of classic trek. I’m happy there are more nuances to Lorca than initially met the eye.

And that doctor will soon be able to travel through space and time on his own. I think we might have a series villain here.

I really, really hope this doesn’t get cancelled.

They really could have set this show in the future and replace the Klingons with any new species. It would solves so many criticisms.

I talked to my mother about the show – she loves it and loves Star Trek generally but doesn’t know a lot about the universe or anything – and she didn’t even realize it was supposed to be prequel.

Really liked last night’s episode. As other’s said, it was the most “Star Trek” of them all so far. Nice to see Lorca, Stametz, and Saru fleshed out into three-dimensional characters. Plus, alas, less emphasis on Burnham is a good thing during this mopey “they’re blaming me for starting a war and I should be taking my punishment” phase. Justifiable characterization, but it’s a downer as the centerpiece of the episodes

Checked out the Discovery fan page on Facebook to see if my suspicions about the reaction to the hilarious (but gratuitous “this is why you’re paying for CBS All Access!”) f-bombs would bear out. And they did. “Now I can’t let my kids watch this!” Oh, America, where a character being tortured, characters being beaten, killed, and disintegrated, is fine for kids, but not a bad word!

I just signed up for the free trial… and discovered the app does not work on my Android device.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cbs.ott&hl=en

I have a Moto E4 which is fairly new. Does anyone have any clue why my phone is not supported? I have Android 7.1 Nougat installed.

(Also, the reviews for the app say it’s shit.)

It’s such a stupid line to throw in there. The vast majority of people watching won’t notice it, and the few who do will be pissed off by it.

I found it pretty jarring that in the middle of a show this dark somebody suddenly yells “I fuckin’ love science, bro!” If they want it to be a show about discovery that’s great, but just squeezing in 15 seconds of that in the middle of an episode doesn’t work.

Some of these characters are actually becoming interesting. We had two potential antagonists established and neither of them are boring. Burnham staying in the background was the best part of the episode. Hopefully when they come back next year the writers will have either figured out how to make her interesting or stopped focusing on her so much.

A young cadet on a rather uniquely crewed starship, gets so excited at this science thing that her sense of star fleet decorum slips momentarily. The guy who backed her comment is not a military starfleet type he is a conscripted scientist. It wasn’t like they were on the bridge surrounded by star fleet officers. I actually found this to make sense, in a normal human kind of way. It came off to me as more real than 99% of the crew comments made during The Next Generation.

I didn’t enjoy this latest episode much at all. I found the plot predictable and therefore dull. I don’t particularly like any of the crew members and the grim-dark stuff is beginning to irritate. I’ll give it a few more episodes and see if it livens up a bit though.

More importantly does anyone else think of Rick and Morty whenever the weird alien first officer is on screen? :)

This was the first episode where for the most part the characters behaved in a believable manner, although they still seem to need to generate artificial conflict.