Star Trek Discovery (2017)

The overarching plot of BSG went off the deep end similar to Lost. It’s characterisation and writing were still on a level significantly above Discovery.

The characters in Disco so far are stupid.

4 episodes of “You trigger my threat response” and suddenly “i’m not threatened by you, I’m actually just jealous”. Does that mean those things on his neck are actually a jealousy reflex?

A Star Trek Captain abandoned his crew and then executing all of them. His way of testing a mole is to tell them a genuine highly classified secret to see if its passed on.

An acting-Captain accepts insubordination from a convicted mutineer.

Burnham has gone from mutineer to being willing to sacrifice her new Captain and a chance at destroying Klingon ships to save a tardigrade?

Every 5 minutes there’s an actual rolleyes moment as characters to something incredibly, obviously shortsighted and stupid.

It’s a Sci-Fi equivalent of a show on about the same level of The Blacklist. Easy to watch, a handful of good actors, self-contained episodes are fine, but so far it hasn’t shown that it has anyone involved in it who has the capacity to lift it beyond being digestible but forgettable drivel.

I stopped watching BSG around end of Season 3 so I’m not exactly a huge fan of it. When I say Discovery wouldn’t even pass for stuff left on the cutting room floor of BSG…

HIT ME YOU MAGNIFICENT SON OF A BITCH. In the appropriate thread, of course. ;)

You made the right call. After New Caprica, show really went off the rails.

Ugh, I hated that fucking song. In contrast, the orchestral themes and CGI for Deep Space 9 and Voyager were awesome and appropriate in tone. I still find myself humming the tunes occasionally now. And of course the theme from The Motion Picture/TNG is perfection.
The Orville’s theme and incidental music (the latter particularly in the pilot episode) just scream TNG to me (although in retrospect the TNG intro is rather tame visually).

Newest episode was actually good, a few eye rolling jumps of logic but riveting regardless for me! Also am I reading into the script or are there a few moments of subtle motivations in this episode?

Renewed for Season 2

I liked Episode 6. Stamets has gotten a lot more likeable, although how that’s related to weirdness at the tale end of Ep4 is unknown.

Good to see Burnham and Tillie building a positive relationship. It’s generally starting to feel like a real Star Trek crew now.

As to latest Internet theory, I hope it’s wrong.

I can’t imagine that the very first thing that would happen when getting a POW back wouldn’t be a full physical exam. IIRC in TOS Trouble with Tribbles Bones was able to determine identity of spy with just a simple scan using his Medical Tricorder.

Overall liked this one too although I can hear the hardcore Trekkies busting a nut over two exec officers fraternizing like that.

Wasn’t that hot on Micheal being so connected with Spock initially, but the revelation of what Sarek had to choose and then tying it to Spock leaving to Starfleet anyways was cool.

Z1CTSTK221

https://shop.startrek.com/product/Z1CTSTK221/star-trek-discovery-disco-tshirt

Ha. I thought as soon as I saw those that they’d end up as merch.

They are cool shirts. I much prefer more subtle branding styles like that, where you kind of have to know the thing to recognize it.

I watched the first half of the pilot yesterday. The special effects are great, and the cast is no worse than other Trek series. Maybe better. There were some plotholes or bad science. I like it more than Orville.

I ordered that shirt the night they showed it on the preview. If I wear an unbuttoned shirt as an overshirt, anyone seeing it will think it’s a reference to a dead music genre. Stealth Trekkie!

It’s been really interesting watching the show develop. So many things that seemed wrong early on make sense right now, or are changing as the characters adjust to the situation. Yeah, Lorca wasn’t acting very much like a Starfleet captain. Then it turns out he’s a frighteningly broken person from his experience. Michael was depressing and sad to watch; now she’s regaining some self worth and developing as a character. Stametz seemed like a class-A jerk, but a little alien DNA and now he’s amusing as heck.

I went from “It’s different, but I can probably laern to like it” to “I like this so much better than the JJverse stuff.” Unless the trajectory it’s on changes, I think I’m going to end up with fond memories of this series.

The only thing I can’t reconcile is Lorca blowing up his own ship and escaping and then being put back in command. Because even in the face of torture and death, you’d expect Starfleet officers to be given a chance to try to find a way to overpower their captors and escape. (See: Lorca and Ash on the Klingon prison ship.) Though I’m pretty sure they let him escape.

Have they started selling U.S.S. Discovery pillowcases yet? I can’t be the only one who spotted that bit of product placement in the earlier episodes.

I don’t know quite how to feel about this show. Each episodes has parts that are good and parts that are mind-numbingly stupid, but I want to keep watching. If nothing else, you can learn a lot about a culture from the sci-fi it produces, and this show might reveal something to me about what 21st century people think.

My main takeaway from this episode was, “WTF? Vulcans are bad now???” I didn’t watch much of Voyager, so maybe it changed then, but this was pretty shocking to me. In TOS, the Vulcans believed they were superior but they also demonstrated that they really were superior in many ways. It was like how foreign cultures believe that they’re superior to ours because in some ways they really are. In this show, the Vulcans are all just total dicks. Maybe this reflects how much more insular we are now than in the 1960s, or maybe I’m just thinking too hard about really half-assed writing.

They made a really bold move in this episode: It turns out that Spock wasn’t the good child in this family. Michael Burnham was actually more deserving. Please don’t try to act like your JJ Abrams Nu Trek heroine is better than Spock after only 6 episodes.

Vulcan assholes actually came into being in Enterprise. So that fits with the continuity. I was really annoyed at how they apparently developed the power of being super-patronizing in that show.

They weren’t exactly pleasant in “Amok Time,” either, though they only were going to sacrifice Kirk for their stupid fight ritual. (How logical is a fight to the death as a mating ritual?)

As for the Spock thing, Burnham wasn’t necessarily any more deserving, and that wasn’t stated. But she certainly tried her best, and to not give her a chance wasn’t fair.

No Discovery pillow cases yet, but if you only get laid when Star Trek conventions are in town, you can have your choice between LCARS, TOS, Starfleet Academy, and stylish, modern Borg Cube pattern.

Yeah, they’ve been around for quite some time. Also, having a Vulcan as a member of the Maquis was believable enough that Tuvok could infiltrate them, so the notion of being a terrorist/extremist isn’t alien to the Trek universe.

Vulcans have always been extreme. Their adherence to “logic” is kind of the definition of extreme, so extremist Vulcans who demand purity of logic? I would say that idea is rather logical.

I ran into this interview with Rainn Wilson and found it to be quite interesting. There’s a bit at the end where he discusses his dream Mudd Discovery episode and how it would lead to a Mudd centric spin off. That is an idea I find intriguing. Star Trek has always revolved around Star Fleet and the Federation. It would be excellent to have a series that stepped out of the shadow of Star Fleet and showed us the lives of people in that era from a new perspective. A Mudd centric series would be a great vehicle for something in the Trek universe that would truly be bold and new. It could also be a lot of fun, in a way that a Star Fleet series has trouble pulling off ( with the exception of the occasional rare episode ) I am a fan of Rainn Wilson and think he could carry a series like that.
Here is the article: http://www.startrek.com/article/exclusive-interview-discoverys-rainn-wilson

Holy crap I love that idea. It reminds of of something from one of the Star Trek RPG sourcebooks, an area of space called The Triangle. That’s an odd no man’s land that exists at an intersection of Federation, Klingon and Romulan Space where no one calls the shots. So it’s pretty lawless, full of pirates and shady dealers that can’t exist in the more “rules based” areas. I’d love to see something like that.

Now THAT is something I would watch the shit out of.

Anyone notice that this show has a shit load of producers? There must be more producers than cast members!

Has anyone else noticed that this show has had a complete tonal shift?
It’s gone from dark and gritty to (slightly) brighter and goofy. I assume this is due to the replacement of the show runner half way through production. Unfortunately it also means the tone is all over the place. Really messy.