Star Trek: Picard SPOILER THREAD

I’m not sure about the phone call, I just assumed it was either someone tampering with the call or her programming making her “hallucinate” it. I hadn’t considered her parents also being androids. Or maybe they’re humans or Romulans in disguise that are part of the program that created her? I dunno!

My assumption was that she doesn’t actually have parents. She has a pre-built backstory that she thinks is true and some sort of programming that simulates the parents. She thinks she’s talking to her mom, she’s actually talking to another program — one that’s probably hiding somewhere else in her head, although I suppose it could be stored somewhere else and that really was a phone call.

I see they went with the hoary “black dude dies first” trope, heh. :-/

Definitely want to keep watching, although the fact that I never watched Nemesis (heard it was the weakest of the Star Trek movies) means I missed some of the references made. Is there a good recap somewhere?

I personally don’t think Nemesis is “the weakest” of the movies. It’s certainly not one of the best ones though — although the space battle in it is IMO one of the best Star Trek battle sequences.

Wikipedia usually has pretty decent movie summaries, although the Nemesis one seems a bit sparse. If you want a nice long (maybe overly long) summary, you can find one on Memory Alpha

I could watch Picard interact with his new number 1 all day…

Question: that was a borg cube at the end right? But the people inside weren’t borgs, so what’s up with that?

My impression is that it’s the wreck of a Borg cube and that they’re mining it for tech.

Yeah it looks like the Romulans are reverse engineering the cube.

It was listed as Romulan Reclamation Site, so yeah, it’s a wrecked cube.

Nemesis does have a very young Tom Hardy in one of his first roles, and he plays the bad guy.

I tried watching Wil Wheaton’s Ready Room on CBS All Access last night. Man, Michael Shabbon is so boring. The man might be a great writer, but he shouldn’t be on-screen. I couldn’t make it through the whole first episode of Ready Room.

Shifted over from the non-spoiler thread to talk about some very heavy spoiler stuff.

I loved that whole scene. It was such a kick in the gut when she was killed shortly thereafter.

I know some people are saying, but it’s okay, she’s got a twin. But Dahj is still dead. Her twin is a different person. I mean they killed one of Data’s daughters in the first episode. That’s pretty grim. I can still feel an ache when I just think about the episode.

Ugh, yeah, that was painful to see. I was really astonished they went there in episode 1. I figured the boyfriend would be our token stakes-setting death. I’m now incredibly worried about the twin and am not looking forward to at least a couple of episodes worth of stress of the crew trying to reach her. . .

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/SleepyScaredIridescentshark-small.gif

I really liked the line where Picard said “because I don’t want the game to end” in the opening scene, he really conveyed the feeling of knowing you’re in a dream with a loved one who passed away a long time ago. All in one line of dialogue too, the man can act.

Speaking of the opening scene. I really appreciated the multiple layers there.

First of all, fading into the scene playing “Blue Skies”, which is the song B4 sang in Star Trek: Nemesis which gave Picard hope that B4 might be starting to absorb Data’s memories. Thereby giving us the hope that Picard is really interacting with B4 who is now like Data. Except of course, that can’t be, because they zoomed into 10-forward on the Enterprise-D, which was destroyed and never rebuilt. So then it IS a dream sequence.

And then the dialogue with Data, about not wanting to end. And then scene as he looks out of the window at what later in the episode we find out is the Synthetic rebellion of blowing up the Romulan rescue fleet that he was in charge of on Mars. All that in that opening scene.

I expected this episode to contain lots of bits from the trailer, some of the old faces to kick the season off but instead its left me with lots of questions that can no doubt be answered in Memory Alpha.

and best still its on Prime and basically comes free with our extensive delivery usage

Still on Prime? Is that a UK thing or available in the US, I wonder.

Prime everywhere outside of US and Canada. You lot get to pay extra, and if i read rightly even more extra to remove ads? Heh. Hypercapitalism.

Well I loved the episode. What surprised me most was how emotional I found it simply being in the company of Jean-Luc Picard again - I watched a lot of TNG, the whole thing several times, in my late teenage / early-20s, and I was right back there tonight. (I remember borrowing episodes from a friend - she was buying the whole series on VHS, which IIRC was two episodes per tape? Can you imagine how much space they took?!)

Lucky us!