Star Trek: Picard SPOILER THREAD

In Canada it’s on the Space Channel

Ok, did I get this right?

In the future of Star Trek, sometime after the ST:NG films and end of Voyager and DS9 the Romulan sun goes supernova, and Spock ends up travelling back to New Star Trek Film timeline? Picard is set in the timeline that Spock travelled back from?

Where does Discovery fit in the two timelines?

Discovery is post-Enterprise and pre- Kirk Star Trek.

with post DS9 tech.

but yes, I forgot, Pike and the Enterprise and even a one liner on the uniforms and design are mentioned arent they.

I was annoyed that they wasted time in Discovery trying to explain why they were using holograms instead of screens like ToS or whatever. I don’t care. Obviously a show made 50 years later is going to look different, the audience understands, don’t bother explaining it.

If dumbass Discovery Klingons show up in Picard I’m going to be pissed.

Discovery is frustrating. It has a lot of really awesome stuff in it, but then also a lot of really boneheaded dumb stuff. It earns 3/5 Picard facepalms.

The more I process this first episode the more I like it. It also did the impossible, it turned my opinion of the young blonde fast talking woman from Newsroom I just didn’t like for some reason. She did a great job here, really liked her as a scientist. She just needed a career change!

Yeah, this Data obsessed guy from next Gen is an interesting thread. I wonder if they will track him down and he will have a Data clone. Then Picard and him track down this twin and we have a touching space reunion.

I don’t think the first twin was “activated”, I think she just reacted super quick to her first ever physical threat and robo reacted. But if she’s an android when did her unfortunate boyfriend meet her? Was she “released into the wild”?

I’ve never really been into Star Trek, but yeah, I dug the first episode and will be back for more. Patrick Stewart is a gem.

Quick, probably dumb, Star Trek universe question: they use matter creators and teleporters for seemingly everything, including summoning a nice cup of tea. Why does anyone get in a vehicle ever?

IIRC you need the teleporter relatively near whatever you’re teleporting to, they draw a ton of power and require sophisticated equipment that might be hard to maintain everywhere, and (though it was usually a bad plot device), all sorts of atmospheric and environmental variables can seriously degrade transporter effectiveness even over short ranges. Transporting large quantities of physical goods seems to be difficult or at least require substantially more transporter capability, so shipping benefits from physical movement.

Also, genuinely, people just also enjoy the “feel” of operating and experiencing the vehicle.

Picard Executive Producer Kurtzman:

Especially dune buggies. I’m surprised it took until the Enterprise-E to finally equip one.

Just a minor aside on this, as it may or may not impact future episodes; these devices (called replicators) use stored base molecular components and form (or recycle) whatever is being asked for as long as the “recipe” is in the system, so supplies are still needed and scarcity is still a thing but it’s not as much of an obstacle as it could be in other shows. Just didn’t want some moment where they needed a new super gizmo and suddenly you’re wondering why they don’t just hit a button and make it appear.

So it’s a 3d printer.

Essentially, but one that can use any molecule and make (almost) anything, apparently.

I found it anachronistic when Dahj goes “dude” at the beginning.

The good:

Production value is really solid. Of course, one shouldn’t judge a whole show based on the pilot because those are usually more expensive to kick off everything with a bang, but hey: Discovery also looked nicely produced afterall, and I guess CBS will make sure that the return of one of Star Trek iconic characters feels appropriately.

Also, Patrick Stewart of course. Still such a great screen presence.

The meh:

I really hope “mystery magic girl is the key to everything” isn’t the premise for the whole thing. I’m kinda fine with writers not going back to that well after revisiting it recently for Stranger Things and DC Titans. Tiresome. And yeah, the names Alex Kurtzmann and Akiva Goldsmann don’t inspire much confidence.

Still hopeful that it’ll be watchable overall. At close to 80 and certainly with enough money in the bank to retire, I’d guess Stewart can afford to be picky and very selective about what he’ll spend his acting time on. If he’s in this, it’s because whatever CBS pitched to him must have had enough potential for him.

They probably shouldn’t, because as far as I know they’ve never worked in the industry. Now Alex Kurtzman and Akiva Goldsman have both done quite a bit. /snark