Star Trek : Prodigy

I wound up greatly enjoying this show, yet it REALLY felt like the producers only expected to air maybe four episodes when it started but someone higher up saw the potential and asked, “Hey, what if you guys got a multiple season arc?” and suddenly they shifted gears. Also, the “backstory episode” would have been the right fit immediately after they escaped with the ship. Heaven knows that’s when I’d start asking everyone what their story was so I’d have a better idea of whether I should get off at the next stop.

But the people who put this together deserve serious accolades, making what initially felt like a series pitch to 8 year-olds into something the whole family could get behind.

I disagree. The kids didn’t have that level of trust with one another at that point. I felt the order in which they did it on the show was much better, felt more true to these characters.

I got through the Supernova Part 1 episode today.

Oh. My. God. I can’t believe what happened. Also, is this an even bigger cliff hanger than Best of Both Worlds?

Absolutely loved Season 1. Looks like Season 2 will start this winter. Considering it still feels like winter right now, that sounds like a long way away!

Can’t wait.

I’ve just watched episode 7.

So Dal was raised on a Ferengi Marauder, but doesn’t know what a transporter is, nor who the Federation are?

Ferengi Marauders must have transporters… right? I thought basically everyone did, and universal translators.

FUCK

The second half of season one isn’t even out on physical media yet. Fuuuuuck.

This is why I use Playon.tv to make archival backups of streaming shows that I love.

Wait. Is that…legal?

This bit is interesting:

But the Prodigy news cuts especially deep, not least because the series is the first Trek show to end after just one season, but also because a second installment had already been confirmed. Now, that’s obviously not going to happen—at least at Paramount, as THR further noted that the show will “complete post-production on season two…and producers CBS Studios will shop both seasons to a new buyer.”

They’ll complete post-production on season two and shop around for a new buyer. Maybe someone else will grab both seasons? It would be a tragedy to have a completed Season 2 that never gets shown.

It looks very legally gray area to me. In which case, I don’t understand why you wouldn’t just torrent or Usenet this stuff, instead of paying someone else for a service which could very well be shut down at any time.

Right? I’ll stick with newsgroups, thank you very much.

Hopefully we’ll at least see season two.

Also, didn’t The Animated Series end after one season?

Yes, the original Star Trek animated series lasted only one season.

Anyway, this is one reason why I decided to pick up a physical copy of the first season of SNW. Well that, plus the sweet, sweet steelbook. I can’t imagine never being able to see those episodes again.

PlayOn brands the recording with your name and IP address. They’ve been around for over a decade, so hopefully they’ll continue to be. Great utility.

As for why I’d record myself (fair use) vs torrenting (where the very nature of the tech means you’re redistributing pirated content – anyone remember Napster grandmas?), I’ll leave that as an exercise for you to figure out. :)

It is totally possible not to seed a torrent, and only leech. And Usenet (the preferred method of doing this) doesn’t have this danger at all. I mean, if you’d rather pay someone 20 bucks a month to have your IP address stamped on media you’re archiving, go nuts. I’m just saying I seriously doubt this is any more or less legally gray than leeching the same file over Bittorrent or Usenet if you are subscribed to the streaming service you’re “archiving.”

My lay understanding:

I believe you’re equally breaking the law if you download without seeding from a torrent or if you download your file from PlayOn. But you’ll only get caught if you mess with torrents.

If PlayOn hosts the recording and you only view their hosted stream and never create a local file, you’re technically not breaking the law, like those putlocker sites that are illegal to operate but not to view. It’s not illegal to merely look at unauthorized content, even if you took some action to be in a position to view it.

Don’t know why I care, but your questions are answered in a blog post

Nice, thanks. Timeshifting is more permissive than I realized.

Looks like there’s a petition going around trying to save Prodigy, and even Captain Pike himself is in on the action. No idea if this effort has a snowball’s chance in hell, then again it wouldn’t be the first time a viewer petition saved a Trek show from cancellation -