Star Trek Resurgence

New adventure game from Dynamic Labs, developers that used to work at Telltale games:

From their website:

• Star Trek: Resurgence is a narrative adventure game featuring dialog choices, relationship building, and exploration. Alongside dialog-driven role playing and rich branching storylines, you will also engage with the Star Trek universe in a variety of other gameplay styles, including shuttle piloting, phaser fights, tricorder scanning, stealth, and micro-gameplay mechanics.

• Direct control of player movement in Star Trek: Resurgence uses a 3rd person “over the shoulder” camera. Dialog-driven role-playing is presented in a playable cinematic format.

• Star Trek: Resurgence follows two principal characters through a single epic story, with gameplay switching between the characters, similar to Telltale’s Game of Thrones or Tales from the Borderlands.

• Star Trek: Resurgence is set in the year 2380, in the era immediately following the Star Trek: The Next Generation feature films.

• Star Trek: Resurgence features an all new crew on an all new starship, but also includes characters that are fan favorites. Stay tuned for more info!

• Star Trek: Resurgence is created by Dramatic Labs, an independent collaboration of 20+ former Telltale writers, developers, designers, artists, and producers.

Star Trek: Resurgence will be familiar to fans of Telltale’s unique style of gameplay, but it also brings some welcome additions and refinements from Dramatic Labs.

• No. Star Trek: Resurgence is a single, large story that will be able entirely available upon release.

• Star Trek: Resurgence is proudly being built using Epic’s Unreal engine and Beanie™, our interactive screenwriting system and narrative engine.

Star Trek: Resurgence is being developed and published independently in partnership with Epic Games; under license from ViacomCBS.

This gameplay video makes it look klunky at best.

God I hope this is good. We need a good Trek game, so hopefully more good Trek games will be made.

If it tells an interesting story, I can overlook a bit of clunkiness.

I’m just pleased we’ve got a new Star Trek game that isn’t just straight up combat. A slower, more contemplative and diplomatic Trek game is just the thing I’ve been looking for.

Curious about those refinements/dissatisfactions with Telltale’s model. I’m willing to overlook significant clunk if the stories are there and there’s a little less railroading (hopefully more trait-based storytelling, but that may be asking too much.)

Yeah, no kidding. Feels like a mobile game or something from 20 years ago…

Looks good. And not a single WWI fighter in view.

I’m watching this and thinking the whole time, this would be better in VR. I think I’m kinda done with the idea of watching someone who isn’t myself, but representing myself, walking in cool places that I want to be for me, instead of actually doing it. Especially if it’s an exploration and obervation heavy game, swinging the camera and walking a clunky character around over and over to find the story bits is so odious in third person, but so natural in VR.

But I’ll add that I also like the more nuanced adventure approach, rather than a Trek FPS.

I do love the stirring Great Value John Williams ADVENT0RE MUZIK swelling and crashing over placid footage of your character casually slouching through a spaceship hallway with the ambience of a DMV. I will absolutely 100% buy this. (Not a joke)

Possibly new info: the game will not be episodic.

That’s just sexy.

Delayed to April 2023. Of course.

Coming out next month!

Excellent!

Very interested

I don’t know why, but this randomly reminded me I still need to play Voyager: Elite Force 2. I played through the first one, and it was just okay, but the second one’s demo was excellent because they had a shotgun. It just made the shooting feel so much better than anything in the first game. (Edit: Oh hey, and it came out on GoG in 2021! Nice. I had missed that news).

Ahem, sorry, back to Resurgence, yay, a narrative Star Trek game, looking forward to it.

Both EF games are great but they’re fairly different.

Dang, I guess they’re finally going to get me to buy something on Epic.