Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country - Reconsidered

Oh god I used it just the other day.

The whole Klingon Shakespeare thing is amusing enough, but the ripoff of Adlai Stevenson with the ā€œdonā€™t wait for the translationā€ thing bugs me. I guess it just pins the whole Cold War thing a bit too much for me.

Omg thereā€™s something ELSE you donā€™t like about this movie? quelle surprise!

STVI has the best opening of any of the Trek movies.

The evidence:

1. Cliff Eidelmenā€™s theme over the credits is FANTASTIC. I think itā€™s an under-appreciated score overall.

2. Starts with a literal bang.

3. Hikaru! I loved hearing Suluā€™s first name made canon. Up to that point it has only been in the novels.

4. Cool energy wave! I love the moment where it hits the Excelsior and the ship is enveloped as it keels over. Great effects.

5. Janice Rand!

6. Clear evidence that Nicholas Meyer is once again at the helm (righting the ship, as it were), with great direction and the same naval tone as STII.

7. I loved the North Korean-style announcement from the Klingons.

The opening of STII is great, and the theme of the no-win scenario is certainly relevant to that movie, but itā€™s not the inciting incident that we have here. Also the TWoK opening has too much focus on Saavik, and Kirstie Alley is a garbage person, so itā€™s made retroactively worse.

Hang on, I think I get it - you believe you are your opinions. You canā€™t read a dissenting opinion without feeling attacked right? And letting an attack go by unanswered would just not be the internet way would it? Well, Iā€™m kinda done with it Brian. I like ST VI just fine but itā€™s got issues and Iā€™m here to discuss the movie. Accept it or donā€™t, not my problem.

I think my favorite thing from it is at the end, with each of the TOS actors signing the movie rather than just rolling the credits. A very nice and somewhat moving touch.

While a sweeping rendition of the original theme plays, yeah? Or maybe I just imagined it like that because I always wanted it to be that way. either way, stirring.

I mean, when it comes to quotable lines, this one is littered with them, and the best of them comes from McCoy when he wishes Chang would stfu with his quotable lines. šŸ˜‚

And again, the treatment of Sulu in this film stands out so much and of course George Takei is so much up to the task. There is so much in this film that changes Trek or at the very least explains so much of what has changed by the time of Next Generation. Having Michael Dorn play his ancestor and how that shaped Worf himself is also a brilliant little character touch.

For me, this is the best original cast film and I donā€™t think itā€™s all that close. Everyone in it brings their very best. The people around them too are not mailing it in. Even Kim Cattrall getting the mind meld raid from Spockā€¦ you can just see and feel her pain. Spock ainā€™t fuckinā€™ around! And againā€¦ itā€™s a step on his path to Ambassador Spock, which we know even kicks off a whole new timeline in ā€¦ time.

It didnā€™t occur to me to look up the dates on this until now, but I do remember Spockā€™s appearance on TNGā€™s Unification parts 1 and 2 being aired close to Star Trek VI.

Looking it up now, Unification Part 1 aired the week of 11/4/1991 and part 2 aired the week of 11/11/1991, and Star Trek VI came to theaters on 12/6/1991. So they were really close together!

They were authorized?

Or it was a new feature/procedure. This was nearly a brand new ship to the senior crew after all.
None of the OG cast knew about it except Scotty (who of course would know about a new feature of his ship, because heā€™s Scotty).

I guess Iā€™ll put there here since itā€™s the last of the TOS movies.

My wife had such a great time revisiting these films, she insisted we watch all the Next Gen Movies as well. So, yeah. We did that. Which begs the question: Whatā€™s next for us here on Qt3?

The logical choice would be to dive into the Next Gen TV series. Thatā€™s a lot of content to get through.

She watched the TNG movies without watching the series first?

Oh sheā€™s seen all the Star Treks. Sheā€™s a huge DS9 fan. Itā€™s just we were on a movie kick and she thought it would be fun to watch the Next Gen ones and compare them to the TOS movies in terms of general quality.

So (per Gregā€™s next post) that may not be the case here, but it does make me wonder how a person who hadnā€™t seen TNG would respond to the TNG movies. So much of whatā€™s disappointing about them for me stems from expectations and understandings of the characters, if you didnā€™t have those I wonder what theyā€™d look like?

Well I might rather watch them instead of STV, I guess.

Maybe.

Actually no, nevermind. At least STV would be over quicker.

Yeah. I was wondering where Iā€™d place them. ST:V is still on the bottom.

My rough list of the Next Gen stuff from best to worst is:
First Contact
Insurrection (I was surprised I enjoyed it as much as I did. Would have made a good 2-part episode.)
Generations (Some interesting stuff in the beginning. The rest was forgettable)
Nemesis (Wow. This was worse than I remember. Solid production quality. A hot mess of a story)

Wow, your rankings are just like mine, including your commentary on Insurrection and Nemesis.

Someone create the Generations thread and letā€™s do this.

I endorse this sentiment.

@vinraith I kinda did this, back in the day. I was broadly familiar with, and had seen a scattered few episodes of, TNG when I watched the movies.

Nemesis still sucked donkey balls even with no expectations.

I love you guys, but Iā€™m not rewatching more than 25% of the first two seasons of TNG for anyone.