Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - EA, Respawn

You dropped down into the miniboss arena and explored the tunnels leading away from there, right? I remember that area definitely counted as a secret and had a force or health upgrade (in addition to the bonus from killing the miniboss). But yes, it’s an optional area off the critical path.

Parrying is way more important than dodging. You should be doing that more.

Finished this up last night. Liked it quite a bit overall. Remarkably well rounded game, in that the combat, exploration, puzzles, and story were each individually around B+/A- level – good but not exemplary – and they were mixed well enough to keep things from getting boring.

I stayed on Jedi Master difficulty all the way through, and it felt right. I could get killed when being sloppy or learning a new enemy type, but I always had the tools to avoid being overwhelmed. Came close to turning it down on the final boss, but managed to prevail with the barest sliver of remaining health after a dozen-odd tries, so I’m glad I stuck it out.

I would count this as a solid, enjoyable 7.5. except the ending which makes a better starwars plot than anything Disney put out so far.

How is the game on Xbox these days? I remember reading about some glitches and frame rate roughness when it first released, but that it was patched quite a bit since then.

I played on Xbox back around release and I don’t remember any serious problems. But I probably don’t notice frame rate slowness unless it gets really bad.

There were definitely some noticeable framerate drops, but nothing too severe. Don’t recall any particular glitches.

This game is really a lot of fun. I’m absolutely terrible at the combat, but enjoy using the force to push people off the copious amount of ledges.

The puzzles are crazy awesome, and I like having to return to places after I gain new powers. And the environments! Zeffo is amazing - it just keeps going and going and going. The verticality is so refreshing.

It isn’t as punishing as most Souls games either.

My main complaints so far:

• You go through this effort to explore and open a box, but you just get some lightsaber component that you will never actually see up close. Same thing with the ugly ponchos
  • Loading times are long, and there have been a few areas where my xbox fan sounds like a jet engine and I get stuttering
  • I just generally suck at combat

I liked the game overall but found combat annoying allot of the time especially boss fights. The parrying frankly didn’t ever make sense to me or feel consistent. I just used dodging far more and that’s not what a Jedi should be doing.

This is one game I am looking forward to playing when I get my Xbox Series X for the load times and for the frame rate boost - I stopped playing after a few hours on the Xbox One X because of these issues.

I can agree the combat is not the games best aspect. It isn’t weighty, and I definitely don’t feel like a Jedi when I struggle to kill some guys with lightning maces… but I think it is serviceable and the rest of the game makes up for it

The thing that I found weird about this game, is that since it’s made by Respawn, I expected the movement to feel super fluid and awesome. Because in their shooters, they absolutely nailed this to an extent that no one else could ever match.

The fact that combat, and even movement itself, often feels clunky? It was just kind of jarring.

I mean, holy shit, even the wall running feels clunky… Respawn freaking invented wall running. How did they screw that up?

I enjoyed this game a lot. I did not feel the least bit ashamed over turning the combat to easy. No sir, I di’int.

The ending of the game is about the best writing in main stream star wars content since Empire Strikes Back. If you disagree, blasters at 20 paces.

The ending was good, especially the big ‘cameo’ appearance that happens.

It’s so good I saved myself finishing it…

For the new people playing the game, I just want to highlight Andy’s excellent advice in this post from last December.

I played it on Jedi Master, and I really had a blast with it throughout.

In contrast, I started on normal difficulty and then ended up on super easy difficulty. I still found that final boss fight quite hard on the easiest difficulty.

I liked the game, but I would much prefer the next one to be not so souls like and less of the crazy parklore shit.

Even on the XSX the respawn times are inexplicably long. The game has access to twice as much RAM than on an original Xbox One, a VASTLY more powerful CPU, and an insanely faster SSD. And yet respawning can still take upwards of a minute in certain spots.

I dread to think what this was like on an actual Xbox One.

Maybe they’ll optimize it for the new consoles. I hope.

I think they’re more likely to continue the story by the end of 2021 or early 2022.