Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic Remake - PC and PS5

Duh, who wouldn’t? Is anyone really saying, “Hey, give me a mediocre remake!” :)

Sure yeah, good talk dude.

As long as they re-do the game mechanics in addition to the graphics and UI, Ill be interested. If not, then I really would have no interest in this. I re-played kotor a few years ago and could not bring myself to finish it.

I’m definitely intrigued and will likely play it on the PS5. I recall maybe playing KOTOR years ago but not finishing it. I’m way more interested in Star Wars stuff these days, having watched Clone Wars, Rebels, Mandalorian, and Bad Batch.

I’m curious to see how they price this. Aspire seems to be putting quite a bit of effort into it.

The game mechanics still hold up fine. The graphics and UI definitely don’t.

FWIW, if anyone isn’t aware, the iOS/Android port of KOTOR is actually quite good.

I love all of the Bioware games but it’s very apparent how their formula works after only a game or two.

TBH I thieve their narrative structure for a sort of Node-Based Design in TTRPG campaigns (and even one-shots) all the time cuz it’s hella convenient and reasonably easy to mask if you pull the camera back far enough.

d20 was a dumb system for Star Wars, but I have awful reflexes – my attempt at Fallen Order last year makes that evident. So, kinda hoping for little change to core gameplay just so I can actually interact with this. Better UI to access the silly D&D-light mechanics would help a lot.

What I’d really love is for this to do super well so we get a fully complete KotOR2 and then a true sequel that’s not buried in the guts of an MMO. But now I’m just dreaming :)

It’s not even d20, but the whole idea of an RPG that doesn’t mesh well with Star Wars. You’ve got to squish combat into a shape that a movie viewer wouldn’t easily recognize to make it work as a game - what should be

Jedi swings lightsaber; check if opponent has lightsaber?

N) Boom, dead
Y) Now you’re dueling!

Now has to involve hit points and saving throws and all that other junk. I enjoyed KOTOR and its sequel but man they were weird.

I feel like the narrative dice system from the recent trio of Fantasy Flight TTRPGs was perfect for Star Wars.

It is also completely impossible to translate to something GM’ed by a computer until we achieve true general purpose AI :)

KOTOR had a lot going against it, in my mind. Loving KOTOR was definitely one of the biggest surprises as part of my video game hobby ever.

1. Bioware? The studio that did Baldur’s Gate, that I hate-played through hoping it would get better but which never grew out of fetch-quests, constant saving and loading, terrible writing and meaningless annoying character banter?
  2. Star Wars? Why do people love Star Wars so much? It’s bizarre (this was before Last Jedi, so I didn’t understand yet).
  3. Combat will be characters standing around, occasionally swinging their sword or shooting? How will that not be dumb?
  4. Even if they manage to overcome all that, they’re going to have a serious RPG on a console? Can that even work?

But it all worked. It was brilliant.

I guess Master Vrook isn’t coming back.

I wouldn’t be so sure. Combat in Fallen Order was… weird, for lack of a better term. I should love it but it didn’t click for me at all, and I played the whole of Nioh 2 without major issues, so it mustn’t be me. Just saying. ;)

Just play on easy, I’ve never played a Souls-like in my life, have zero interest in dying more than once in any encounter, and I had no problems in Fallen Order. If Dark Souls games had easy modes I probably would have bought and enjoyed them for the exploration and RPG progression stuff.

Reported.

Or just cheat with a trainer like I did.

I always get the feeling that I’ll break something and be stuck 20 hours into the game when I use external cheats like that, but sure it’s an option.

That can happen and has only happened once in a game that I recall where I had to start over completely.

I feel like Wildermyth takes a decent (though definitely not all the way there) whack at it.

It’s not that I had a hard time with it - it just wasn’t fun for me, at all. And if I don’t enjoy what I’ll be doing 70% of the time, I’d rather play something I’ll enjoy more. That’s all.