Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic Remake - PC and PS5

At least they’re keeping some of the good stuff from the first time around.

The idea that you could block a lightsaber with a vibroblade drove me nuts in the original.

Preach!

Forget KOTOR, go straight to KOTOR II.

fuckin’ don’t start me on cortosis ore or we’re going to be up until a quarter to three arguing about goddamned lizard tubes

My friends who usually play the same games as me never could get past this idea. They abandoned the game right at the start because of it. It’s too bad. They missed out on a great game just because they can’t incorporate a simple idea for the sake of gameplay.

In my head I figured there had to be some type of field to keep the laser contained and thus another type sword might be able to block the field rather than the laser. ; )

I mean at the time of KotOR it was cannon that vibroblades could be designed to deflect lightsabers. Like literally straight from the novels and stuff. They
just needed to incorporate a special element into the blade itself.

Yeah but the novels were crap.

I mean you’re not wrong. Strictly speaking they were bad to mediocre mostly.

Just saying that in universe this was already a thing.

Surprised by the comments about the gameplay here. I loved the RPGness of the combat, precisely because it wasn’t what you expected to see on a Star Wars game. At the same time I did try to resolve every situation without combat, but that’s just how I play every RPG. I’ll be very disappointed if they take the game in a Mass Effect 3 type direction.

I remember the gameplay being veeeery repetitive. I wonder how much of it is my memory blending it together after so many years, but I recall like every dungeon would have the same malfunctioning robot that would fight on your side after you repair it, and the same security room where you could disable the turrets, and the same boss fight at the end. Then KOTOR II came out and for all of its broken and missing content, suddenly you could use those computer or security skills to resolve quests in different ways.

The one thing I hated about KOTOR dungeons were the security rooms that only seemed to be for your benefit. The guys that lived and worked there never used the security cameras and ability to overload toasters to stop you from massacring them.

So do I, which is why I am not all that excited about this. I sure hope they totally revamp the game play.

That makes sense, remakes that break the nostalgia link tend to do really well.

Combat was poor in KOTOR, but the novelty of an RPG in Star Wars setting taking place way before the movies is what won me over.

Graphics were underwhelming at the time, but it had some good (and plenty) voice acting and story/writing was decent (especially in the sequel).

The first game is definitely overrated (I enjoyed 2 more), but it’s still one of the best Star Wars games made.

It breaks my heart to see Kotor getting shit on so much—on this forum of all places. The gameplay sucked? It was ugly? The writing was “decent”? You’ve got to be kidding me. What’s the opposite of rose-tinted glasses? Knights of the Old Republic is one of the highest rated games ever made, for any system.

It had arguably the best plot twist in all of gaming to that point. Graphically, if you actually go back and look at the average game from 2003, it compares favorably to most.

The combat was perfectly fine. It was a compromise between true turn based and real-time, which had been (and continues to be) a mainstay of the genre.

And it had Pazaak!

I was here on Quarter to Three when Knights of the Old Republic first launched in 2003, and I guarantee you this was not the sentiment then.

No, it wasn’t. But what’s that got to do with how we feel about the game today?

The gameplay was fine, the voice work was excellent, the story was, well, Star Wars. The graphics definitely don’t hold up, but that’s common to pretty much all early 3D games.

I agreed above that it was a great game.

But I confess I haven’t replayed the game since it came out. So I’ll just believe the people who have played it more recently and say the gameplay doesn’t hold up.

What I do know is that at the time, it worked really well using the controller (the game was an Xbox exclusive). I especially loved, in retrospect, that you could either press A to implement any command right then (overriding current orders) or press X to queue a command.

So you could use that queue up a bunch of orders. So tell your tank to attack this person, tell your healer to buff your tank, and THEN heal them, etc.

That was the main reason why I just couldn’t get into the gameplay of Dragon Age: Origins, they got rid of the ability to queue commands like that. You couldn’t just queue up a bunch of commands at the beginning of battle like you could do in KOTOR and then watch it play out. That’s something I really enjoyed in KOTOR.