Star Wars: The Acolyte - High Republic mystery/thriller and the Squid Game star

Series synopsis:

The Acolyte is a mystery-thriller that will take viewers into a galaxy of shadowy secrets and emerging dark-side powers in the final days of the High Republic era. A former Padawan reunites with her Jedi Master to investigate a series of crimes, but the forces they confront are more sinister than they ever anticipated.

Hopefully, this is more Andor than Kenobi.

Geez, give us a smile guys!

That’s a hell of a cast, and I’m excited to see SW content outside the Skywalker-Era, especially since Andor started, showing Disney is willing to do things that are tonally outside the box. Fingers crossed.

My only issue so far is that I’ve read about a dozen High Republic books and they’ve all been pretty bad. Not just Legends books bad, which had some pulpy fun. These new books have been boring, which is the worst bad for me.

Hopefully, the creators of this can tell a good story on their own.

For those who need a refresher on the High Republic Era:

I mean, I’ve wanted a good High Republic story for ages, so I hope this winds up being at least competent.

Old Republic or High Republic? High hasn’t been around for ages.

Fair enough. Yes, Old Republic was really what I’ve wanted, but “Peak of the Jedi Order” sounds fun.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I guess the issue with the Old Republic was there was too much Legends stuff cluttering up the era.

Again, my only trepidation comes from the fact that nothing I’ve read so far in the High Republic books has been very good. I hope they can do something engaging with it in this show, but the “big bad” (the Nihil) of the books has been awful.

Footage shown to attendees of Celebration 2023, but not available to the public yet.

While speaking at the panel, Headland said she pitched the series as “‘Frozen’ meets ‘Kill Bill’” from the perspective of the bad guys, with samurai films as an overall inspiration.

Sure.

That’s a reach. I assume it’s a bad guy drama where the Jedis show up occasionally and murder everyone? Not sure how Frozen fits in, maybe it will be a young Sith as the protagonist.

“All the artwork was conceptualized with my face, and Leslye was like, ‘So I’ve been working on this for about three or four years for you. I don’t know what I’m going to do if you don’t do it. No pressure,’” Stenberg told Magazine C. “So I was sent to the moon, of course.”

This poster is pretty awesome.

That’s striking a different tone than I was expecting from this series.

Trailer comes out tomorrow.

— Alan

I wonder if I should watch the trailer or go in cold?

I’ve already seen the poster, after all! Though the poster is nicely cryptic.

I was going in cold but my new coworker that I like is excited about the trailer, so I’m going to watch it so we can talk about it.

I hope this is a great show.

I was going through the cast list on the Wiki article, and while I only recognized a few names (Trinity! The guy that is playing Chewbacca now! Jason from The Good Place!) when I clicked through the others, a lot of them sparked a “oh, wow, it’s them!” reaction. The little girl from The Hunger Games, but now grown up! The little girl from Logan, but now grown up! The little King Tommen from Game of Thrones, but now grown up! I hadn’t heard of the creator either, but while not every one of her credits sounded familiar, she got a lot of credit from me for being a staff writer on Terriers and being one of the co-creators of Russian Doll. Plus, lightsabers are involved in the show, I think?

So hopefully this will be one of those projects that floats under the radar, then bubbles up to violently connect with me – and if it doesn’t register as a massive hit, that’s okay too. As long as I like it.

Here we go!