Star Wars: The Last Jedi - Episode VIII

Yea, they don’t need defense. My first thought upon seeing that Star Trek pic was, “I guess they’re visiting Tatooine.”

Yeah, those aren’t the Jedi you’re looking for. ;)

Looks like we have some more characters from the Vanity Fair shots.

Benicio del Toro, Laura Dern, Anthony Daniels, and a lot of aliens.

Luke and Rey are on a green and blue island planet. The planet’s biome is Caribbean. It might be the same one from the end of Rogue One, which was also a Margaritaville planet.

Caribbean? It looks more like Ireland or Scottland, to me.

That’s because it is Ireland.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Great+Skellig/@51.7706615,-10.5405245,503m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x8e506c5a7063142f!8m2!3d51.7706616!4d-10.5405235!6m1!1e1

You see? Jedi and Witchers go to Skellig.

Sidenote, I love the sci-fi trope that planets have biomes. Like, it’s way too much to imagine that a single planet could have more than one of the following:

• Mountains
  • Deserts
  • Oceans
  • Islands
  • Jungles
  • Forests
  • Tundra
  • Taiga
  • Steppes

I mean, that would just be silly!

Give ours a few hundred more years, global warming will make sci-fi real ;)

e: Uh, this is what GIS brought me for “sad trombone gif”. I guess Picard is enraged by a little womp-womp?

DO NOT CLICK THIS LINK IF YOU DON’T WANT TO SEE POSSIBLE SPOILERS FROM UPCOMING LEGO SETS!

Link

I love that as of now, there are at least 30 of us (according to the link counter) who couldn’t resist.

Behind the scenes footage shown at D23.

Porgs are adorable (the puffin gremlin things).

The practical effects work is heartening.

This is actually Episode IX news, but I’m putting it here because it’s a bit early to start a thread for that just yet.

Jack Thorne, the British scribe who wrote the upcoming Julia Roberts-Jacob Tremblay movie Wonder, has been tapped to work on the Star Wars installment that is to be directed by Colin Trevorrow.

Trevorrow and his writing partner, Derek Connolly, have been working on the script, but sources say a fresh set of eyes was needed. It is unclear how extensive the rewrites will be.

As I was saying in the Wonder Woman thread, I’ll be very surprised if Episode 9 makes its May 2019 release date. Even assuming the best about Colin Trevorrow, Episode 8 was originally scheduled for May of this year and was pushed back to this December. If they needed a full two years for Episode 8, seems pretty reasonable they’d need just as long for Episode 9, and that’s before you factor in the necessary rewrites after Cary Fisher passed away.

And if any of these rewrites are also due to any concerns with Trevorrow, obviously that just makes a May 2019 release even less likely.

Oh, and this was brought up in the Wonder Woman thread because the WW sequel is going to hit in December of 2019, so if Star Wars was going to push back Episode 9 to December, they’ve got some serious competition in that window now.

Details on the AT-M6, (“All Terrain Megacaliber Six”) the new AT-AT, for this movie.

Yes, the name sounds dumb as hell.

Any dumber than the original? Or naming star fighters after letters? I am a big SW fan but allot of names that sound normal today are just because were so used to it by now.

What? Yes, this is much dumber. In a universe in which Star Wars didn’t exist, “All Terrain Armored Transport” would be pretty easy to parse. I wouldn’t think of a vehicle based on an elephant’s gait, but I would think of something like an Infantry Fighting Vehicle or an Armored Personnel Carrier. “All Terrain Megacaliber Six” is a nothing jumble of words.