Starbound - If Terraria was a whole galaxy

We have an old thread here, but it’s badly named because Re-Logic is dead and this being made by Chucklefish, which includes the primary Terraria artist. Anyway, if you played Terraria, you’re going to immediately recognize the style:

This is procedurally generated side-scrolling 2D stuff with “both quests and story driven missions, buried inside its vast sandbox universe” because the game actually has separate planets to explore.

I’ll let that sink in for a bit.

Preorders have started.

The development road map is a visual delight. If you click around, a lot of the entries have screen shots you can look at. There’s a ton of great eye candy in there.

I highly recommend watching the building demo to anyone who hasn’t seen it before but is interested in this or Terraria. Some interesting stuff going on inside, UI wise.

Any dates on beta access yet?

I haven’t seen any; the first “concrete” mention of Beta access I have seen is with preorders in fact.

Thanks for making the new and improved thread, Telefrog. This is one of my most anticipated games of the year.

So can I actually build space ships to get between planets, or do you just teleport?

I don’t believe there is actual space ship building, but I dunno. It’s sorta teleporty but you do have a ship and a sort of central hub. I don’t think you fly around Starcontrol 2 or Elite style, though.

Look at these sreens:

So it seems like the “big giant galaxy” thing boils down to a fancy method for loading saved worlds, no? Instead of dropping back out to the menu and loading another world like in Terraria, you beam up to your spaceship and “fly” to another world instead. Meh. What does that get me gameplay wise? I wanted to build my own space port and launch ships and explore for worlds and all that fun stuff. Not just click on an FTL map to get around.

Not trying to dump on the game. Just trying to figure out what this is doing differently than Terraria. So far it looks like the same thing with a sci-fi instead of fantasy skin over top.

The FAQ says beta access starts later this year so… not really.

They are already up to a quarter million on preorders. I wasn’t going to preorder yet but they used the humble storefront which makes it ridiculously easy.

The preorder link given a few posts up shows 13700 backers as of this writing. That’s not quite 1/4M. Where are you looking that I’m not?

Pretty sure that meant dollars, not users. It’s up to $344K at the time of writing.

I loved Terraria, so I’m damned excited about this, even without any actual space-based gameplay. ;)

Each planet is unique, with it’s own biomes, creatures, towns as well as different levels of gravity, etc. That’s different than just starting new worlds on Terraria, because while locations were randomized, it was still the same world each time. It would always have one dungeon, a jungle, etc.

The most disappointing thing about Starbound is how pixely they decided to make the art. I wish it had just a bit more definition. :(

Well that just makes sense. Doh! Back to my corner.

Agreed, it looks too blocky. Booo?

What I want to know is, how is it different than Terria from a game-play point of view? On the good side, from that video the people were not constantly plagued by slimes.

Well for starters it’s in space. You can read how the navigation and stuff works here, which reminds me a little bit of exploring in Star Control 2. It’s a lot bigger game than Terraria and I remember reading some interesting stuff regarding the procedural generation of guns and the like. It has mechs and that sort of thing as well, but I don’t know too much about them. It also has a story for those who care about that sort of thing (I don’t).

Really, it sounds like a scifi Terraria 2 to me. That is it adds some new features and greatly expands on the content while leaving the general concept the same.

This looks great and Terraria is very enjoyable, so I think a couple of pre-orders for myself and the girlfriend are in order.

One thing I noticed is that the Humble site found and linked a previous purchase of FTL to my account, without me ever having used the Humble site to purchase it (I used Steam). That’s kinda nice.

Anyone interested in splitting a 4 pack of the $20 tier? That would be $15 per person, and it comes with beta access! And a Tier 1 forum badge! OH YEAH!

This would also help us all get fossils!