Starbound - If Terraria was a whole galaxy

Are there laser pistols and stuff like that? It is super rare to find a gun and when I do, Its always a bullet shooter. I was hoping I could craft them at some point, and I definitely wanted laser / plasma weapons, not bullets.

I did finally find a chest with a plasma pistol, so they do exist. However, another thing I do not know, is what do you do with pixels? There are a few merchants that sell minor items, like milk, eggs, and other food stuff. What do I need with 10k pixels?

You use pixels to advance the overall story I think by crafting.

It’s polished and loaded with content for sure but there’s a lot of stuff missing that the devs still want to implement, most notably the two major progression lines that do not involve any combat at all, Farming/Agriculture and Building. The current stable build only includes the Adventure line which is very combat-oriented. Should be interesting to see how they handle passive playstyle paths

Yeah, plasma weapons definitely exist, along with rocket launchers, shotguns, and grenade launchers!

I must say that some of these quests are pure BS. The first dungeon, without a save spot before the boss and then the one where you are captured needs several check points. Ill admit, I did cheat these.

Pixels seem to have no real use. Farming is pointless almost. I hope they do, at some point, include a real economy. The NPCs should buy stuff from you and you should have stuff that you want, to be bought from them.

I think I am mostly done with this until the next major update to add other stuff. All there is to do is just mine to get better gear to get to a stronger world to mine to …

I still haven’t built anything significant on my home world because there is no real point.

As far as gear, Id love to see power armor that glows brightly and custom crafting of weapons. IE: You make a laser gun with the stats you want (within limits) where the cost is a reflection of how good a gun you make. Currently the loot drops are not very interesting. The difference between one gun and another is minor. One shoots 2x as fast, but for half the damage. That kind of thing.

Is there a way to reduce the multi-tool “paint” size? So you can place a single block instead of a bunch of them at once?

The progression is all weird too. If you follow the order of the quests, the game tells you to make a copper pick, but copper is hard as hell to find. I found a ton of iron before I found any copper. I thought maybe that was just my bad luck, but I see that others are having the same issue.

I found copper before iron, but I found plenty of both. You just need to mine or follow cave systems enough. I guess things like this are always an issue with random generation however.

I had the same experience.

Also, as DeepT says, the first mission is total BS. They need to balance it or add checkpoints.

Aye, it’s a bit of a catch-22. It could be rectified easily enough by telling the player to travel along the planet’s surface to find the mining operation (it’s ALWAYS there on your initial planet) where you will usually find copper pickaxes, copper ores, iron ores, and copper/iron ingots inside the crates strewn all over the place! These can be used to get you rolling a bit faster with the actual mining deeper, which I usually do starting at the lowest point in the mining facility.

Does anyone have coordinates for “The Good Book” Mission and the “One Small Step” quests? I have been to dozens of planets with no luck. There were some coordinates from reddit, but they do not work (the unstable build I guess).

That is where I am as well. I also tried using coordinates from reddit and none of them worked. In general I find the game comparable to before with the newly added quests being the main difference. In fact it seems like you can progress faster now since there are less boss battles. It seems weird they removed boss battles (unless they are moved elsewhere?). While they seemed to have tinkered with a lot and rebalanced many things this honestly doesn’t seem like a years worth of an update.

You get to the boss battles by following the quest lines now.

Good book can be usually found in desert planets with glitch castles or villages
One small step, the emblem can be found in icy solar systems, i think ice planets.

I’ve actually completed all quests now and have a level 5? ship. A bigger ship is nice but I’m not sure what I’ll put in it. There is a lot of decorating fluff I could add but almost nothing with actual function (maybe a farm?).

Still seems like ambitious stuff is due in the future:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starbound/comments/3bdm1t/looking_at_the_terraria_13_changlog/cslhhxv

I don’t have time for a platform. I just want to play a game and move on.

I’ve already enjoyed bits of different EA versions and am looking forward to seeing what they’ll be doing once reaching release.

Which is why you should be playing Terraria 1.3 which just recently dropped. For whatever reason the game just really clicked for me this time. I mean I thought it clicked for me before, but now I am in hard mode and well on my way to beating various bosses.

I am still looking forward to Starbound - I don’t think it’s stalled necessarily but it still has a ways to go with content.