Starbound - If Terraria was a whole galaxy

Cool, sounds like Master of Orion 3 in terms of the, “Yeah, it’s taking a while, but man, it’s amazing, it’s super special, no one has done anything like this before, etc.”

I hope to be pleasantly surprised, but this is just looking more and more like people without the capability to deliver took a huge amount of Kickstarter money and fucked it away on nice offices, over-hiring, etc.

Then why don’t you wait for it to officially come out?

Colony update - https://youtu.be/f6db4718sRY

The “Glad Giraffe” update is up.

• special abilities for some weapons
  • combat revamp
  • drivable vehicles
  • procedural NPC quests
  • new biomes
  • dyes for clothing
  • elevators

I’ve been playing it on Unstable for a week or so, it feels great (the combat revamp specifically). Combat feels tight and I enjoy all the secondary abilities that are on 2-handed weapons now, not to mention just how different various weapons work. Charging up a big hammer attack and splatting critters in one swing is very satisfying.

Creeping up on the 1.0 release.

http://playstarbound.com/final-approach-to-1-0/

• All story content will be added
  • More diverse planet biomes
  • New dungeons
  • Side quests
  • Dynamic quest system
  • Ability to recruit NPC crewmembers
  • Mercs
  • Ship upgrades
  • Performance and polish
  • New items and monsters
  • Steamworks multiplayer and Workshop

The last major update saw some great improvements, so I’m pretty excited for 1.0!

Yeah, I might have to give it another go even though I played it all the way through more than once already. I really like the idea of doing more with my ship. I will have to check what sorts of upgrades they are talking about for them.

1.0 sounds like a major improvement in every department. Outposts, crew, pets, interactive combat, multi-biome planets, more “open” progression, etc. sounds wonderful.

Is it out yet? Or does it have any set date?

No date other than “soon”.

I thought they were going to have classes, like farmer, explorer, warrior, etc… with a bunch of skill trees. Is that all gone now?

I don’t recall hearing plans for classes or skill trees in Starbound. I think they talked about different avenues for making progress in the game, farming being one of them, but not in terms of classes or skill trees for them. Not that I’m the guru of all things Starbound or anything, so maybe I was under a rock somewhere. In any case, there won’t be any such thing for release.

Of note in the 1.0 release is that crafting progression has been entirely decoupled from story progression, which is a good thing.

The story missions are a bit odd. The game has hard-coded invincible blocks so you are essentially playing a “crafted” 2d level except calling it “crafted” over sells it a little bit. Anyway you had to do them to be given certain items that in turn allowed you to visit the worlds where upper tier materials existed. Because those worlds have increasingly dangerous environmental hazards.

Now apparently we can just craft our way to the top without doing a quest, and you can do the story missions whenever it suits.

Props to Discourse: I was easily able to find this thread using Search, as opposed to immediately jumping out to Google to do it.

In any case, Starbound now has a release date: July 22nd. The 1.0 version is already on Unstable for anyone who wants to play around with it a couple weeks early.

I already own this. Maybe Ill check it out. I wonder what has really changed since I played it last, which I think is over a year ago.

Any idea if tutorial stuff is in, or going to be significantly altered prior to launch?

Very nice, thanks for the tip! I played around with it a month or two ago and was VERY impressed by it! :)

Tutorial is in. It’s not a detailed step-by-step, but there’s a tutorial mission at the very start with an option to skip it.

A metric fuckton. Combat rework, movement rework, progression is completely redone, story is in, progression is decoupled from story. The UI has changed, weapons have all changed, staff goodness… that’s all the stuff that’s changed just since their last major update a few months back, let alone a year! They’ve also added Colonies, ship crew, mercs, multi-biome planets, pets. Probably a ton of stuff I’m also forgetting.

Oh, and Hunger is back (based on difficulty setting).